• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Filler's Reception in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
But most of the openings and endings for Naruto suck anyway (I absolutely cannot stand Rocks; it's the worst anime opening ever), so it's not a huge loss anyway Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sasukes_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I could be wrong, of course, but I think it would be a mistake to air the fillers in the U.S. The Naruto ratings have been fairly consistent in Japan, but anime is more mainstream there and the main audience is probably a bit younger. CN could probably do alright with the first 15-20 filler episodes, but after that, they would probably start to see the ratings decline. And they would probably get worse and worse as the fillers went on. Even if the ratings somehow stayed about the same, most fans would probably realize that the filler wasn't worth spending money on, so Viz would probably lose a lot of DVD sales as a result. But if they didn't air them, they could release the filler episodes as "lost episodes".

That's what I'm afraid will happen. If it is true that Japan does not air re-runs (I'm not sure, I'm just going by what someone said before) then they don't get to see Naruto as much as the American viewers will (unless they go on the internet or something like that) which is probably one of the reasons Naruto is still somewhere on the top ten in Japan. When people see the same thing over and over and over again, usually they will get sick of it and stop. I'm afraid it will end up like Inuyasha (I'm not saying anything bad about the series, it actually had a good plot) Many people stopped watching Inuyasha because of the filler episodes, because it became repetitive, they saw it so much they just got tired (because as you get later on into the series nothing really happens) I think after the first 20-30 fillers (like HitokiriShadow said) the American ratings will go down unfortunately.

The two main reasons I heard the fillers exist is to make more money, and because the anime was catching up to the manga, and the manga needed more time, so they created the filler episodes. (I don't know if either of them are true, that's just the most common response I hear)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But you know that if CN did skip the Naruto filler-ins, some Narutard out there will use that as "proof" that the edited dub sucks because "OMG, they skipped an entirely worthless season!" Rolling Eyes

Nah, the Narutards are the ones most against the filler.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Nah, the Narutards are the ones most against the filler.

They'll still complain regardless. If Viz leaves in the filler Narutards will go, "Why the hell did they leave in all this worthless crap!? Stupid dubbing companies don't know what they're doing! I hate 4kids!" If Viz takes it out, some Narutards will go, "Why did they take out episodes!? This is censorship, this is blasphemy! Dubs suck!"

ANN is a sheltered community...go to other anime places and you will see moronic Narutards everywhere. Especially IRC channels and low-brow forums.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
At this point, the U.S. anime has pretty much caught up with the U.S. manga, and the anime will probably finish the current story arc before the manga. Unless they do reruns instead of showing new episodes, that divide will only grow. So by the time the fillers come up, the manga will probably be a good deal behind.
Yeah, I kind of surprised that they haven't start to rerun the series already. But I'm sure as soon as the fillers end States side, the manga will have a somewhat lead. Not as big as the Japan verison has right now, but a nice size one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
sasukes_lover wrote:
That's what I'm afraid will happen. If it is true that Japan does not air re-runs (I'm not sure, I'm just going by what someone said before) then they don't get to see Naruto as much as the American viewers will (unless they go on the internet or something like that) which is probably one of the reasons Naruto is still somewhere on the top ten in Japan.

There are reruns, but not in the way that America will do them throughout the season. Their reruns are similar to (the same as?) American syndication reruns.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They'll still complain regardless. If Viz leaves in the filler Narutards will go, "Why the hell did they leave in all this worthless crap!? Stupid dubbing companies don't know what they're doing! I hate 4kids!" If Viz takes it out, some Narutards will go, "Why did they take out episodes!? This is censorship, this is blasphemy! Dubs suck!"

If so then why not just do what's right and ignore them?

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of surprised that they haven't start to rerun the series already. But I'm sure as soon as the fillers end States side, the manga will have a somewhat lead. Not as big as the Japan verison has right now, but a nice size one.

That would be a bad move. IF Viz insists on keeping the manga ahead of the anime (and there's no reason for them to do so), then the solution would be to release the manga faster, not to release the anime slower. The anime is currently being released in America at a SLOWER pace than it was in Japan, and they're still years away from catching up with the Japanese release of the manga, whether they skip the filler or not.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Viz could probably keep the manga ahead if they just increased the chapters per issue. I don't think that's really much of a concern for them.

As for the complaints from Narutards, I promise you they don't give a rat's rear. They go for the broader audience and generally don't give a crap about the hardcore anime/manga fans. The only care about the hardcore fans when they are the only ones really buying (which is why shojo titles tend to avoid the Vizsors). Naruto is not one of those titles. If Viz cared, they'd stop their pointless editing of numerous titles.

In the case of the Narutards complaining about how Viz handles the televised release, its somewhat justifiable that they don't care. Many of the ones that would complain already think Viz is Satan simply for licensing it in the first place and are too hardcore and "true" fans to actually spend money on their favorite anime anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4