• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect Blue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
I agree with Aya-san. spoiler[Those type of roles (being 'raped' or even portraiting a prostitute and such) are quite humiliating for women, since we feel that our dignity (not to say our pride as women) is shattered just for the show's sakes.]

Well, this is the point of the show, spoiler[ it is the 'selling out' of Mima which leads to her 'stalker' getting more and more troubled by the whole situation. It is all about the contrast between the pressures to succeed and do whatever is expected of you with what her original J-pop image was meant to be. The rape scene is meant to be horrific (and it is!) and it is an entirely pivotal scene in the anime. The fact that there are 'cuts' in the middle of it make it all that more effective, because Mima is totally complicit in it, and seemingly acting throughout. To be a willing part in 'rape' is incredibly shocking. It is also meant to be mimicked later when Mr. (name escapes me at the moment) attempts to rape her in exactly the same way as she acted it.

I think the scene is totally meant to be shocking, but not necessarily shocking as a rape scene in the grand scene of things, and it plays a central role (it could be scene as being symbolic of the final 'rape' of her idealised character that she has played as a J-pop idol throughout as well.)]

It is one of the more shocking Satoshi Kon moments seeing as his films are generally lower rated than this, however, I don't think it is crossing over into any kind of gratuity or anything.

Also, I don't think it necessary to be female in order to have a feminist view on it. I don't think that Mima is an especially un-feminist character. She is more a victim of the system of fame and idolatry rather than of a male society. From a radical feminist perspective, then all men who want to see women in 'mature content' photographs like in Perfect Blue are literally equivalent to rapists themselves, but I think this is a pretty extreme view. (As alluded to by the label of 'radical feminists'.)

I genuinely don't see this either as a feminist nor a chauvinist film however. Simulated rape can be entirely integral to a plot without it spelling out some kind of secret agenda. It is more about the nature of fame and celebrity worship which is becoming a more and more all-pervasive phenomenon day-to-day.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
Quote:
I genuinely don't see this either as a feminist nor a chauvinist film however. Simulated rape can be entirely integral to a plot without it spelling out some kind of secret agenda. It is more about the nature of fame and celebrity worship which is becoming a more and more all-pervasive phenomenon day-to-day.

I agree. It would be over exagerated to see this movie from a feminist perspective. I definetly see it more as a psychological problem not only of the hungry exhilaration of being famous but also of being something that a person doesn't want to be. Which is why the spoiler[rape scene is even more humiliating for Mima's character. She does something that in her heart doesn't want to but nonetheless she is willing to sacrifice herself and everything she stood for so far just to have fame and fortune. Though even now to tell you the truth I didn't understand her accepting this. Her esitations at that moment made me hope that she might refuse to do that but still she accepts. ]

The scene might be shocking spoiler[especially through the way Mima accepts to be humiliated in such a way. The tears that appeared in the eyes of her friend (forgot her name) show perfectly the end of a certain innoncence that Mima had till that moment.]
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I really wasn't a fan of Perfect Blue, and it's a shame because I loved Paranoia Agent and Tokyo Godfathers was a great watch.

Of course that was two years ago, and I really wasn't paying attention, I suppose I could give it another shot, but if its as boring as I remember then this'll be the only mar on Satoshi's work.
neilly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote
Absolutely immense. This is probably the best film i've seen in a long while. Watched it friday night , thought it was that good watched it saturday morning aswell. Blew me away and chilled me at the same time. I'M new to the world of anime so if anyone can recommend films as good as this please do Shocked
m00nshine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
I saw this one a month or so ago... it was pretty good espescially the ending but I thought that it was not anything spectacular. The main character became a little annoying to me as the story progressed and for that I had to give it a lower rating then what I would have given it had the character acted a lil different. But if you a fan of psychological suspenses then this would proably be a definite pick up.
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing this movie in the theatre (so it was english dub.. ) about 5-6 years ago and I really didn't know what the whole thing was about because my friends dragged me there.

I was blown away by the complexity of it all. I also recall not caring for the art in the beginning so people who watch anime for that reason may find themselves disappointed. But for people who love a mind twisted storyline that leaves you wondering, it's one helluva ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2