• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike how they just put scenes of other characters right in the middle or at the very end. I know they want to give hints on who's the murderer, but it has almost the same effect as simply writing "This is the murderer" on the screen.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. First time I've seen this happen on the site.

Kind of a bummer that the critic didn't like it! Personally, I've been enjoying it more and more with each passing week. I feel as if the budget's gotten way better, the pacing more dynamics, the presentation different from "cold rehash of the game"... I really like it now. Definitely not a perfect show, or even a great one, but at this point, I'd definitely say it's "good," at the very least.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Though I would've liked a less Americanized version that kept the Japanese setting but had the English names. Like keeping Maya's favorite food as miso ramen; I think Western culture as a whole has a solid grasp on what ramen is--no need to replace it with a friendlier Western food like burgers. Rolling Eyes

I think if you say "ramen" to a Westerner they're most likely to think of instant ramen or dried ramen (if they know what it is at all), neither of which is what is being referred to here.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I don't get it. I know for a fact that A1 pictures can, and have, made shows with beautiful production quality. Did they get their D team on this show? Did they outsource the production to a basement garage? And if funding was the problem, why didn't the production committee give a proper funding if they want to advertise the game?
A1 Pictures consists of only D-team people.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I enjoy it. But it had so much potential to be amazing Anime cry.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

I think if you say "ramen" to a Westerner they're most likely to think of instant ramen or dried ramen (if they know what it is at all), neither of which is what is being referred to here.

This would have to be your very first anime if you don't know what ramen is considering how prevalent it is in the medium. But I'm pretty sure they localized everything so it matches the Americanized game. If they just did the names it would still leave a lot of things different like people talking in l33t sp34k and memes that werent present in the original, but people who played the localized games would expect. There's no reason to watch the localized sub track if you don't play the localized games where Mayoi eats burgers instead of ramen. A third sub track with only some localization would be pointless.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
I enjoy it. But it had so much potential to be amazing Anime cry.

Given the source material it's based on can be shaky and contrived at times don't think so.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
I don't get it. I know for a fact that A1 pictures can, and have, made shows with beautiful production quality. Did they get their D team on this show? Did they outsource the production to a basement garage? And if funding was the problem, why didn't the production committee give a proper funding if they want to advertise the game?
A1 Pictures consists of only D-team people.

Digibro? Is that you?

Your Lie in April. Sword Art Online. Saekano. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash.

The production value in all these shows all range from great to excellent. I don't know what you are talking about.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Does the show being dropped have anything to do with the reviewer in question wanting to drop it (perhaps in favor of reviewing something else)? Or have these reviews just not been pulling good numbers?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Does the show being dropped have anything to do with the reviewer in question wanting to drop it (perhaps in favor of reviewing something else)? Or have these reviews just not been pulling good numbers?

Both! Only the latter needs be true for a show to get dropped from reviews, but in this case both were true.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
gedata wrote:

Both! Only the latter needs be true for a show to get dropped from reviews, but in this case both were true.

I can see why, the show's just getting more confusing and slapdash in nearly every aspect from the writing to the animation.

For example, in the most recent case (Spoilers, sorry), they said that the character driving in episode 14 died, while her sister was the one with the burnt face. Yet when they play the animation from that episode, you can clearly see that the driver-side door is open (the car was established as LHD), and the person shown outside the car was the one driving.

So either someone on the writing or animation department for either episode screwed up big, or there's more to the case than originally thought, but are doing a poor job at conveying it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[The sister that survived was the one that was driving the car.

She took on the identity of the younger sister in order to fake her death.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8