• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV + movie + special) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this. Pretty great art and animation so far into the first 3 episodes. And the series was a bit more explicit than other otaku stuff in its depiction of Tanya (isn't that a Russian nam even though she is supposedly German?) as being the reincarnation of a ca. 30 year old salaryman, who are just the type of people who read those seinen moe manga stuff. Interestingly, when reincarnated the soul still retained the memories of its past life, this type of concept would be a good explanation for prepudescent girls fighting like adult men in these types of shows.

Also I read the discussion here about salarymen/Tanyas attitude regarding the "god" of the show. In my impression is not that she is unable to accept his existence but the fact that he is not a benevolent god otherwise ludicrous things like her past life ending by being thrown in front of a train would never occur. I had the impression that her notion of God is of a absolutely benevolent omnipotent being hence a world created by a true God wouldn't have any problems like war.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
In my impression is not that she is unable to accept his existence but the fact that he is not a benevolent god otherwise ludicrous things like her past life ending by being thrown in front of a train would never occur. I had the impression that her notion of God is of a absolutely benevolent omnipotent being hence a world created by a true God wouldn't have any problems like war.

That is kind of what I meant by her not accepting his existence as god. In her previous life she seemed to be kind of a very ordered person, who would believe that a god would be an existence that would stop all the wars and other chaos. That despite the power shown, the assertion of being god does not her definition, and that the lack of existence of such god means that people can live without it, thus she gives no praise.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

So United States = Unified States. How imaginative.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Empire! Go you Germanic hordes, beat the tar out that Russo-Franco-Anglo alliance!

Er, wait...

Aw, I can't help it - I gotta root for Tanya's side. I really enjoy watching her defeat her hapless opponents. So far she's had a solid string of unqualified success ... I wonder if there is a setback or two in her future?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Puberty.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tanya's expressive ahoge and her inability to reach the northern most parts of the map were this week's standout images. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Laughing

True. The map reaching thing really killed me. I love how the other characters remained both utterly impassive and utterly not helping.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
I liked that scene too. I'm hoping that the next time Tanya has trouble reaching something a nice gent will lift her up while saying "upsy-daisy". I would just love to see Tanya's reaction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
I think the weight of the final part of the episode took a moment to hit, the sadness of that guy's daughter and wife who escaped to America finding out that their loved one was dead, and their country occupied. And there was that deliciously evil moment where Tanya took the rifle as a Christmas present to herself, when it was initially a Christmas present to the daughter for her father. It is like we are sitting here cheering on Tanya being successful, and that is what she is involved in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Full out on the evil side. The episode was on Tanya leading her battalion in an attack of an enemy city that was previously captured, and now having a rebellion. The whole operation though is on manipulating the word of the international law on war to allow them to pretty much commit an atrocity in bombing everyone. No surprise, the plan was made based on a paper on manipulating the word of war in fighting in a city which happened to be written by Tanya. The reactions of all the soldiers on having to follow the orders was fascinating, like how sickened they are by it, it kind of conjures to mind the idea of Nazis being ordered and involved in horrible things but the soldiers having tears in their eyes as they do it.

But just the scene where the militia shot one of the prisoners showed them as the first committers of a war crime. That possibly regardless of what followed their people would be up against the imagery of them executing an unarmed POW.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The whole operation though is on manipulating the word of the international law on war to allow them to pretty much commit an atrocity in bombing everyone.

Bombing cities is not an atrocity in total war. In World War II, both sides bombed cities. It is usually done to destroy the city's industrial capacity, invoke fear of the enemy, and to bring the war home to your enemies.

Tanya's country is in a war for survival. If you are not playing to win it, you are dead.

I haven't watched the episode yet, so I cannot comment on the other stuff mentioned.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
The point I made in the episode review thread is that the show's depiction of the Empire's behaviour is actually kind of a white-washing of real German military behaviour during both World War I & II. Let's set aside WW II, since this show is positing a WW I alternative world. The real Germans, even in the very early days of the War, such as their drive through Belgium would indulge in reprisal attacks on innocent civilians as a deterent to partisan activity. And I'm not talking about the type of scenario shown in Episode 8 where they shell retreating groups of partisans who have noncombatants mixed in, I'm talking about going into a village, rounding up X amount of people and then summarily hanging or shooting them. I guess maybe the writer of Tanya didn't want to go quite THAT evil.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Tanya hasn't really been challenged all that much so far so this suicide mission seems exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping for. No doubt she soon also has to face the Meowx (Mioux? Whatever his name was) dude so things are about to get interesting.

What happened with the 2nd lieutenant dude who in the previous episode refused to follow orders? He was clearly alive and well in this episode. I thought he tried to kill Tanya so Tanya killed him instead? I guess that didn't happen? So Tanya just forgave him? What happened?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think the idea is that things were going along so it seemed like he might try to kill Tanya, but obviously he didn't. Ergo, there is nothing for Tanya to forgive. One thing that confused me is that there were only 11 members of Tanya's group going on the "one way ticket to Hell" mission. I guess the idea is that the others are either dead, wounded or missing? It's surprising, because for the longest time it seemed like the Mage Special Reaction Force wasn't taking any casualties at all.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought that there were only 11 rockets because those things had just been invented and there had not been enough time to manufacture more.

Blood- wrote:
Actually, I think the idea is that things were going along so it seemed like he might try to kill Tanya, but obviously he didn't.

We hear a gun shot when the screen fades to black. So... I dunno. Maybe he missed on purpose at the last second? I dunno. Or you mean that he decided to follow orders after all and shot towards the civilians?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6