• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oshi no Ko (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Manga-Based TV Drama

Summary: Kana tries to reconnect with Aqua and convinces him to take a role in a low quality production. She mentions she has connections to famed producer Masaya Kaburagi, who Aqua recognizes as one of names on Ai's secret contact list he found on her phone. During a break in filming, Aqua manages to collect some saliva samples from Kaburagi's discarded cigarettes.

Comments: The more I watch of this show, the more I feel Aqua is putting on the appearance of a teenage young man. But deep down, he's this grizzled veteran detective trying to track down the mastermind who murdered his mother and joy in life, almost like The Count of Monte Cristo, which is my absolute favorite story ever.

We get more peeks into the dark side of the entertainment industry with Kana's revelation that it's not all glitz and glam. I'm sure there are plenty of d-bags like Kaburagi who are just in it for the money and power trip of exploitation. I'm also convinced he's not the head honcho in this game, and it'll be a while till find out who the Harvey Weinstein-esque villain is.

The director, Gotanda, is pretty hilarious though. The whole man-child thing he has going is something I haven't, personally, seen a lot of in anime the past few years. I hope they maintain that schtick and surprise us with the occasional barging-in from his mother.

Screen Caps:

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
I hope that Aqua as a pretty boy possibly given the leeway might be able to act levels above the others and allow Kana to be able to show off her acting chops. The excuse of allowing it despite acting above everyone else could be a well done finale could go mini viral and convince viewers to watch through to get to it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Aqua really killed it!
...or should we say 'breathed life into it'? Even the manga-ka was happy. And for Kana to be thanked personally by her...truly there is no greater honor.

I'd cry too lol

Each time the ED theme starts up, I get disappointed like "...why is this show already over"...so that's a pretty good sign that you are enjoying something.

Blood: Chiibi has a crush on Aqua!
Me: Well, I don't know about th-
Aqua: [dons a hoodie and starts acting like a psycho like Isaac Foster]
Me:.........oh hell.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Actors

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed May 10, 2023 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:50 am Reply with quote
They said that they didn't quite manage to make it viral, but did at least make a splash in certain corners. With certain audiences Aqua might have gotten on their radar.

@ Chiibi
Your referring to that character from Angels of Death, right? That is an interesting memory.

Also, I am not just wearing goggles with Ruby, right? She seemed very interested in her new friend having big boobs, and he famous female classmate as being pretty, and is her new fave or something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:57 am Reply with quote
Laughing Dusky, I swear you had yuri contact lenses grafted onto your pupils at birth! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
I swear that she blushed. Blushing means something!!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

@ Chiibi
Your referring to that character from Angels of Death, right? That is an interesting memory.

Yes, I have a ridiculous obsession with him and now I can't resist any anime/manga boys in hoodies.
Laughing

At first I thought I was weird....until I encountered how much the Angels of Death fandom simps over him Laughing Zack is a sexy mofo. Embarassed My gawd, you should see the FANART Laughing

Last edited by Chiibi on Sat May 06, 2023 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Well, we are talking about a female character who, as a reincarnated infant, was salivating at the thought of getting breastfed by Ai, so you may be onto something, Dr. Yuri... Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

When I saw this message on Kana's phone: "The performance of that guy who played the stalker was super creepy and repulsive, but if you look closely he's handsome so I don't know how to feel..."

...I couldn't help but think of Chiibi! Laughing

Anyway, great episode. That whole dating show thing is gonna be cringe... but not nearly as cringe as the stuff Ruby and Kana will have to do to get their idol group of the ground. Yikes! Hope it's worth it, gals. Anyway, what I really liked about this last episode is that there was a lot of humour... it wasn't all just, "oh and here's a documentary on the dark underbelly of Japan's entertainment industry."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Reality Dating Show

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

ACxS

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
I marathoned five episodes after learning what a big deal this show apparently is. One of those times where a big show flew under my radar.

I love how the show gives a blunt and frank look into the (Japanese) entertainment industry, the operative words being "blunt" and "frank". Perhaps a little cynical at times, but I love shows that don't sugarcoat stuff especially when they're trying to include social commentary. The last show I remembered that was this honest with potraying an industry was Shirobako with the anime industry, and that show was incredible.

Another thing I love about Oshi no Ko? The lead characters—siblings who knew each other from a past life although they will never learn this—are the protagonist and antagonist. Ruby is the positive result from Ai's influence, and Aqua is the negative result from Ai's death. This is a very novel narrative; I don't see this in other shows. Perhaps the closest one was Erased, but that was a very different type of show.

An overall highly engaging and enriching show. And now we go to the latest episode.

5:

Reality TV isn't real.

That's the conclusion I have come to a very long time ago. I actually used to love reality TV back during its infancy, with US shows such as Survivor, The Amazing Race, The Apprentice, The Contender, Fear Factor, American's Next Top Model, American Idol or just about anything produced by Mark Burnett. Then my love for it died out. The 2000s was brimming with reality TV, and I was its consumer. Today, most reality TVs are from TLC, and I'm somewhat glad I'm not following any shows right now.

The thing about reality TV, which I learned long ago, was how it countered conventional TV shows where everything was scripted and predetermined. Reality TV incorporates some reality into the plot, with the operative word actually being "some". It's still a prerecorded show; it's not reality where everything happens as it is and there is no one controlling any narrative. Aqua plains lays it out how there is still a director, and some situations are planned anyway, so everything that happens is clearly not spontaneous. We can even go deeper with the "don't we all put on a show even in our daily lives?" but we can keep that one for another day.

So... jumpstarting a budding idol group. The whole gang isn't assembled yet, but the first two recruits deciding to build a name via collaborating with a famous streamer that seems to have a brand that has nothing to do with idols. I assume he is chosen because 1) Pieyon is willing to help, and 2) he has a huge following. In real life, I often see streamers who already have established big followings collaborating with each other to further build their pool of followers. That is a win-win situation. For this case however, B Komachi needs a platform to springboard their exposure, and piggybacking on (blunt: "working with") someone who already has many subs is a win for them. I'm just curious why Pieyon has agreed to help. Pieyon being managed by Strawberry Productions, perhaps?

But as Kana puts it, there's still a dismally low chance of succeeding via online, especially when everyone else is doing it (long tails and power laws, ammarite?). But if they simply want to create a small but loyal following, then of course by all means.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5

When I saw this message on Kana's phone: "The performance of that guy who played the stalker was super creepy and repulsive, but if you look closely he's handsome so I don't know how to feel..."

...I couldn't help but think of Chiibi!

Valid. Except I already know how to feel. Laughing

Episode 05 was really fun and amusing with that infamous 'What the f*** am I watching!?' type of moment. Do your best girls! Anime hyper Ruby and Kana didn't seem to like each other at first...but they are bonding fast!

Episode 06: Yes, now we're going heavy again....with Akane being a victim of truly one of the WORST things ever; Cancel Culture. I remember this arc pretty well from the manga because it strongly resonated with me. Not that it's anywhere NEAR what Akane's getting...but I've also gotten a fair amount of bullying online (over really stupid, trivial things too)

This is really no laughing matter.

Being literally told "to die" or "kill yourself" over and over isn't something even a strong-spirited person (that I somewhat consider myself to be) is easy to shrug off. It's not like I've ever thought of self-harm...but it CAN crank up your anxiety....you lose sleep and it affects your appetite too....exactly how the show portrays it. But Akane has it so much worse because even if she escapes the hell that is TWITTER, she cannot escape the real life consequences. She's not even safe at school. She really should have talked to her mom though.

It was kind of nice that Sentai acknowledges how serious and real this toxic stuff is and how sensitive viewers can be about it and put advice at the end of the episode. I wonder if the Japanese raw did the same thing?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was afraid the show was going to go to a very dark place... so very happy that Aqua stepped up like that. I'm an old so I happily went through my teenage/school years without having to deal with social media bullshit and I'm thankful I did. Chiibi, let me know if any snot-noses hassle you online again and if they do...

...I'll be sure to join in! I KID, I KID!!! Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm an old so I happily went through my teenage/school years without having to deal with social media bullshit

Lucky you.
i got bullied in person during those years.....but honestly, I think I WOULD much rather have kids throw paper at me and call me "short sh*t than get suicide-baited online.

Quote:
...I'll be sure to join in! I KID, I KID!!! Wink

Why ya gotta be like that.
Rolling Eyes

I voice a Waifu V-Tuber now. That means I have an army of fanboys who can hack mean people to protect me these days so it's all good. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6