• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mashle: Magic and Muscles (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mash has dealt with another arrogant magician and now posseses two parts of a silver coin, making for solid progress. Given the OP we can assume that mr extreme siscon will pop up again later. The not quidditch match was also a fun time.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Mash Burnedead and the Challenging Magic User

Summary: Lance Crown traps Finn, Tom and Lemon in a bottle, wagering silver coins on the victor. Mash is crushed by Lance's gravity magic and drops a picture of his sister Anna, who Lance has a sister complex for. Mash steals the bottle and Lance admits defeat, rewarding him with a silver coin.

Comments: So my question on how Mash would "fly" was easily answered. He defies all kinds of physics just like Saitama, so I shouldn't even worry about any kind of scenario that requires magic, because he can literally do anything with a little bit of muscle application. I love how ridiculous that logic is! Laughing

Lance is pretty arrogant, but at least he's not as mean as Lloyd, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. As messed up as some characters with sister complexes can be, I think Lance might actually turn out okay and not be a 100% douchebag for the entirety of the series, unlike Lloyd.

At least Mash has some allies, now, as low-leveled as they may seem. For a show that's trying to balance action-comedy, world-building, and outright parody, but with just enough of that shounen feel, this is actually pretty good for the first four episodes. I'm curious to see if can maintain that balance.

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:08 am Reply with quote
Man, they really are trying to be as Harry Potter as possible without it being actual HP. It was a really fun episode and now we have the dorm wars to spice things up with another arrogant clown and seemingly some elites getting involved.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
4–5:

I find those mandrakes surprisingly disturbing.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
Come to think of it, mandrakes pop up in a fair amount of different anime. Last week we had Megumin rather cruelly rip one apart and I vividly remember the screeching one from flying witch.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Mash Burnedead and the Unpopular Classmate

Summary: Lance finds that Mash and Finn have yet to do their Potions homework and decides to help. Meanwhile, students are asked to exterminate forest scorpions for coins, when Dot saves a girl named Lauren, who she convinces to fight Silva.

Comments: The potion-making turned cream puff-making was pretty hilarious. I swear this franchise either has or needs to do some promotional work with Beard Papa's, at some point.

The show seems pretty formulaic in giving us some new egotistical bully every one to two episodes. But it really is great seeing them eventually getting their asses handed to 'em by Mash.

Dot feels like this franchise's Abarai Renji (from Bleach). He even has the red hair, headband, and loud, brash attitude going. While he, unfortunately, got the crap beat out of him, I do admire his gutsy words. I'm sure Mash will return the ass-kicking, ten fold, in the next episode. I'm interested to see how these three dorms pan out and am also wondering when they'll start building up their Voldemort.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:26 am Reply with quote
Looking at the screenshots, I am actually surprised that the show did not do a sorting hat scene in which students get assigned to their dorm. Kind of a missed opportunity to be even more like not harry potter.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Looking at the screenshots, I am actually surprised that the show did not do a sorting hat scene in which students get assigned to their dorm. Kind of a missed opportunity to be even more like not harry potter.

Well, would you look at that, past me got his wish after all. The newest episode not only had some gender equal smacks, but also a sorting scene for the magic departments. Though it is a unicorn horn/skeleton instead of a talking hat. Also, Mash might be in a pinch... maybe
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Caught up. I initially dropped this one early in the first episode. That bit where he couldn't figure out how the door fit back in turned me off. I don't mind dumb characters, but there's a limit. Anyway, I decided to give this a second chance and I'm glad I did. This show has a real knack for making you hate a certain bully and then revel in their humiliation and defeat. Just as long as the people that I bully irl don't get any ideas...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: Mash Burnedead and the Magic of Iron

Summary: Mash steps in to take on Silva's ten hit challenge and avenge his ruined cream puff. Silva obliges, but Mash crushes his iron into powder and delivers two devastating punches. Later, Abel, leader of Magia Lupus, punishes Silva by turning him into a doll.

Comments: I was getting Great Teacher Onizuka vibes from that German suplex. It's great that Mash doesn't discriminate. And, of course, seeing Silva get punched in the face really hard was a joy. Reminds me of the scene in Tropic Thunder (2008) where Les Grossman (Tom Cruise) is pissed off that the movie they're shooting isn't going smoothly. So on a video call, he tells the Key Grip to punch director Damien Cockburn (Steve Coogan) in the face "really f*king hard."

I have to admit, I'm not well-versed in Harry Potter. I've only seen the movies once (maybe, 4-5 years ago) and have never read the novels. But I do find the Wizarding World fascinating and full of great lore. I'm pretty sure the coin thing wasn't in HP, although they did have a bunch of artifacts and such, so it should be cool to see how this franchise mixes those elements together.

Abel seems like another villainous d-bag. But with Mash being all Saitama-y, I'm a little nervous at how anti-climatic the fight might be. Then again, maybe this'll be a turning point and Mash will actually have to "get stronger" for once. Either way, I'm totally cool with him just beating the crap out of Abel, too. Just need an episode or two to really build his douchie-ness up, and I'm sure we'll see a just beating.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri May 26, 2023 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
A recap episode this week which makes me sad.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 07: Mash Burnadead and the Puppet Master

Summary: Abel perpetuates a “survival of the fittest” belief, then uses his dolls to try and steal Mash’s gold coin. Silva awakens, but is confused after discovering Mash had saved him. Later, Mash and Lance are attacked by Magia Lupus members, when a third masked one appears during the aftermath.

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
The newest episode had it all: a short showdown moment with the big bad, a few more Harry Potter influences like the owl house and a fight in which some more scrubs were taken care of. That said, mask man seems like he might actually be able to put up a decent fight.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That was another fun episode: some combat, some mystery/jokes and some certainly not prisoners of Azkaban escape news. Seems like it is time for the group to take on the remaining fangs.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:32 pm Reply with quote
8:

I love one-on-one battle episodes. Call it a (shounen) trope all you want, but I love it sometimes.

See that segue with prisoners escaping from a prison that seemed to come out of nowhere? That's a plot device; Mashle will save the day and become the Divine Visionary for saving the academy from the prisoners. Or Adler teaming up with Magia Lupus to fight the prisoners.

Typical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5