• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-linear Narratives (list in opener).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
In the Heavenly Delusion discussion thread, I recently had the idea to add "non-linear narrative" as a theme descriptor in the Encyclopedia entry. It is currently the only title in the Encyc. that has it, but I know there are definitely other titles that use scattered timeline storytelling techniques.

Then I thought, how many flashbacks or flash-forwards does a title need to be considered non-linear? Delusion was doing it, pretty much, every episode. But I don't wanna' call any and every title "non-linear" just because it has a flashback or two.

Also, feel free to list and/or discuss other titles you think qualify as non-linear. And I will go add the descriptor.

- Baccano!
- Concrete Revolutio
- (The) Garden of Sinners
- Heavenly Delusion
- Humanity Has Declined
- Monogatari Series Second Season
- Non Non Biyori
- Owarimonogatari
- Ranking of Kings: Treasure Chest of Courage

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Heavenly Delusion is definitely an excellent example of nln structure given that its two main segments do appear to be taking place a different times. That show is such a mind-eff that it wouldn't shock me to find out it actually NOT nln at the end of the day, they've just been letting us assume that. I can't think of any other nln shows off the top of my head, but if any occur to me, I'll definitely come back and post them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I think Baccano! would qualify. As it proceeds from scene to scene it jumps back and forth over a four or five year period, with occasional jumps back a hundred years or so. It notes the date at the beginning of each shift which is the only way to keep track of when you are.

Interestingly, in the light novel source material, the events in the latter half of the show aboard the Flying Pussycat are the subject of two separate novels covering the same time period from two different view points.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
Concrete Revolutio, the original Haruhi release from 2006, Monogatari Series Second Season (and Owarimonogatari), Humanity Has Declined and the current 'season' of Ranking of Kings would qualify as well
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:57 am Reply with quote
Since Haruhi basically just reshuffles the episodes, does that count? Peach Boy Riverside does the same thing. You can watch both of those in chronological order and they work perfectly that way.

If I remember correctly, Princess Principal kinda jumped around the timeline.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
Added nln descriptor to all those.

Would Cowboy Bebop count? Even though it's mostly episodic, those 5 or 6 episodes of central plot are pretty spread out, time-wise.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
What you say is true, but by the same token, I wouldn't say the nln stuff in Cowboy Bebop is representative of the show as a whole. I think you probably want to stick to shows where it is a dominant element.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was thinking if, at least, half of the title's duration was jumping around, that would qualify the show for nln, so I'll pass on Bebop.

Good point about Haruhi. The out-of-order-ness wasn't really in the narrative itself, but was more of a broadcasting gimmick. The actual plot doesn't jump around, at all, when the episodes are in order. I'll make a change to that.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Non Non Biyori definitely qualifies for this. The first and second seasons cover the same time frame with the second season episodes weaved between first season episodes.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kara no Kyoukai is told in a weird order. The way it was released was essentially 4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6, 7. Some people say it helps with the mystery or something, but I don't really get why it had to be told this way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

For the same reason a lot of stories start in the middle of the action and then flash back to how they got there. They probably thought that the fourth story had the best hooks to get the series jump started. This is a very common approach to telling stories. It has been going on long enough that there is even a Latin term for it "in media res" (in the middle of things).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1