• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oshi no Ko (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Kikuko Inoue is who you’re thinking about.

Yes, it is, thank you!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: B-Komachi

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
10:

It's interesting: for the first time in a long time, Ruby makes a reference to her past Sarina self. I did mention how she has gotten over her old life unlike Aqua, but I guess not completely. But it's understandable: this is the big moment that she's been waiting for her whole life (including her past life), so one last reference does feel right.

This is also the first time where the whole episode explores only Ruby/Kana's subplot, and not Aqua's at all. And I will be honest: because of that, I didn't find this episode the most intriguing. That being said, I can confirm for myself that I find Aqua's revenge subplot more interesting than Ruby's idol dream subplot. I just find the exploration of the idol industry's underbelly more fascinating than Ruby's straightforward story of becoming an idol.

Kana's back story isn't new by now, but it does highlight how detrimental it must be for child actors IRL once they have passed their prime. More so when they have to deal with rejection so young; even adults get personally hurt by rejections, and child actors have to face the same thing at such a tender age? That's rough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
Kana x Aqua 4-eva!

But ONLY if he continues to disguise himself as Pieyon. I have to admit that it didn't click for me that "Pieyon" was actually Aqua until Kana had that inner thought about falling for him instead of Aqua. That was the equivalent of being hit over the head with a 2 x 4, so no points to me for having the penny drop then.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I really liked how they addressed one sleepless night can affect you for three whole days because, YES. ABSOLUTELY.

Kana falling for "Pieyon" while it's actually Aqua is so freaking great.
YOU GOT IT REALLY BAD, GIRL, JUST ADMIT IT. Laughing

Ruby and Kana's interaction was very wholesome...but if only they knew they were in love with the same soul....who happens to be the BLOOD BROTHER to one of them hahaha this series is so crazy Anime hyper Last shot of Kana getting pumped up for her performance has me so hyped for next week...WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT. IT'S THE SERIES FINALE ALREADY?? NO.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: Pressure

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps: Pending
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 (Finale)

Well, dang, this is a good show. In fact, I rate it Very Good. It's certainly got my interest. There's really not an element that I'm not interested in: I'm invested in the mystery of who is really responsible for Ai's death, I'm invested in Ruby attaining her dream of becoming an idol, I'm invested in the Aqua-Kana-Akane death match love triangle. It's all good. Looking forward to the next instalment. Tokyo Blade, yeah!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I AM DISAPPOINT!!

I thought the finale would be an hour long. Anime cry

Kana and Akane are so scary when they come face-to-face. Laughing Miyako toying with Kana to show MEM how much Kana loves Aqua was really funny too.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:06 am Reply with quote
That was the last episode?! It sure didn’t feel like it was!
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:18 am Reply with quote
Final:

I actually like how the episode ended: not in the form of a closure, but a setup for the next season (which I believe there is, of course).

The love triangle between Aqua, Kana and Akane was pretty clear very early on, but just as an icing on the cake, the story just had to make Kana and Akane bitter rivals. Exciting, right? Would a love triangle be riveting if they were nice to each other? It's even a little meta: the love triangle is starting to resemble a reality TV plot.

And what better way for this love triangle to reach a climax than with a high-profile stage performance! So now there will be real followers who will be Team Kana or Team Akane, with Aqua in the middle. But I'm curious: if Aqua is playing the supporting role, then who is playing the lead? There were glimpses of recurring characters, with some not even properly introduced this season. Clearly it's a teaser of what's to come next time.

The show is a 8/10 for me.

The first episode was a spectacular setup, and the show has been absorbing even since. I don't personally like idol shows, because they tend to just be about girls becoming idols, but a show with a cynical view of the Japanese entertainment industry, and one that showcases the underbelly of it all? Yeah, sign me up. Perfect Blue was a masterpiece in tackling idol fanaticism from a previous generation, and another more recent show that tried to make social commentary on the idol industry (albeit with mixed reception) was Wake Up, Girls!

Although there are some convenient scenes that require a bit of suspension of disbeblief, the show has overall sealed itself as a worthy addition to the genre. I am looking forward to the next season for sure.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
What a series of mixed parts.

The Akane material, which I haven't talked about and never will: F. I can tell what the author attempted to do and what they completely failed to account for. Acting, the double edge sword of knowing yourself and knowing the audience. You can't have both ends be zero and then suddenly have both aspects fully accounted for. The story needed Akane to be utterly naive and then be an acting wunderkind.

The isekai aspects: D. Final word: It's weird. "Which teenager should the thirty year old reincarnated man go with?" Probably the 25 year old?

The revenge story: F. The fan killed the doctor and then 10 years later came back and killed Ai. I guess it matches the old saying "Revenge is best served like a half priced bento box that's been on the shelf too long." It could have been fixed, it could have stakes, it could have meaning. Instead, it's: Man tells fan about Ai who gets a doctor killed and then ten years later, the same man told the same fan where Ai is now.

I keep repeating it, hoping it will get less convoluted but it's just not working. It's like these events happened when it was convenient for Aqua, not for reality. "This story is a lie" intro that doesn't get repeated enough: I guess the author is using this as a combo "Get out of jail free" card/white card for all factual inconsistencies but if that's the case then the stakes matter... but not the results.

The Idol/acting/entertainment material that's not about all the nonsense: A. I stopped watching during the Akane story and I get bored whenever Aqua does his "defective detective" routine but when the series gets into the character aspects, the people behind all the facades, it rocks.

When the characters get the glowing eyes, usually after listening to Aqua: Exhilarating.
When it happened to Akane: Terrifying.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The isekai aspects: D.

Once again, 'isekai' and 'reincarnation' have nothing to do with each other. Rolling Eyes Isekai stories use the element sometimes but it's not LIMITED to that.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Probably the 25 year old?

Bro....
Aqua is physically 15 years old. Aqua dating Mem would be called "statutory rape" and Mem would be arrested as a child predator if they got caught....just like with Denji and whatsherface in Chainsaw Man.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, heck, if we're gonna point out errors in Animegomaniac's post, let's not forget that Ai died about 4 or 5 years after the doctor, not ten. SLOPPY!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I am going to give it a rating of Very good (8/10), I might want to rate higher based on things like how fantastic of a first episode it had, but it needed I think some small stronger parts push it up, which honestly I don't really know what those would be. It was a strong show.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:53 pm Reply with quote
There was a decent amount of hype for this and it sure lived up to that hype for me. Just amazing all-round. Scum's wish had pretty decent character designs but this was on a completely different level. In moments where the show is trying to convey how these idols draw people in with their looks and charisma, having such amazingly designed eyes really sells in that point. I rated it Excellent, no doubt gonna be a top 5 show this year for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6