• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yearly subscription issue

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:10 am Reply with quote
On the weekend when I came to ANN message showing my subscription ends June 26. Went to Subscription settings. "Update payment method!" message also seen.
I updated my payment method and message said it was updated.

I come to ANN now after 1am Pacific June 28 and seeing message my subscription expires in a day (hello not June 26 anymore) AND asking for payment method update AGAIN.

Did it again.
WHY was asked to update payment method again?

And if I go to Subscription settings yet again, it's still showing Update payment method. Why?!

Info changed a little:
"Basic — $24/year — active until June 26, 2023
Your subscription's renewal is in progress. The date will refresh automatically."

Confused on if my subscription really got renewed or not.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Hi Ryonomiko,

It shows me that your subscription is active until June 26, 2024. Maybe it just took some time to update. Can you check if everything is proper on your end now ?

-t
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank-you for checking and letting me know.

I see June 26, 2024 showing now.

But the
The Update Your Payment Method! (bold and underlined) is still seen below.

Sorry, but that's confusing. I would expect to only see that if have an outdated payment method on file (which mine was as of last week). =[
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, but the update your payment method message keeps showing up each day I come to ANN:
"To avoid an interruption to your subscription, please update your payment method"

I don't see a way to attach a screenshot...

[/img]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting the same "To avoid an interruption to your subscription, please update your payment method" message myself. My subscription does not end until 1/2/2024.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:44 am Reply with quote
Oh good, not just me getting this.

I did have to update my payment method in order to renew my subscription which I did so before June 26 (when my subscription was due for renewal) and then on June 26 it was showing me the update payment method again which I did (again).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
I don't think we explained this, but all the credit card data we had before has been cleared and we restarted with a clean slate. This has something to do with being a different legal entity after the Kadokawa acquisition. So every subscriber needs to re-enter their credit card details if they want their subscription to renew. @Alan45 this is why you're seeing that message.

@ryonomiko you're getting that message because your credit card expired June 2023. Credit card companies usually send a replacement one month before the expiration and it's common for people to activate their new card as soon as they get it. So if the expiration is this month, it's not possible for us to know if the card is still active or if it has become inactive following the activation of the new card. I decided to be conservative and show the message even during the month of expiration. So I think what happened to you is that even though you updated to a valid card and the payment went through (thank you for your patronage!) the card was already considered as "needs to be updated" from the moment you added it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
@ryonomiko you're getting that message because your credit card expired June 2023. . I decided to be conservative and show the message even during the month of expiration. So I think what happened to you is that even though you updated to a valid card and the payment went through (thank you for your patronage!) the card was already considered as "needs to be updated" from the moment you added it.

Sorry, but my card expired in March 2023. I got it then and activated it then. The new expiration date is June 2026.

My renewal was June 26, 2023 for ANN.

As I already said, I saw the update payment on file message on June 24 and put in my new card then. I saw the message AGAIN June 26 and put it in again.

But the message still KEEPS SHOWING (I come to ANN website each day).
Should i log out and back in?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'll update just to get the notice gone. Unfortunately the card in question expires a few months before my renewal date so it will have to be updated again, along with a handful of streaming services.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1