• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
dragon ball is what made shounen what it is now. this is so sad so sad.
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:34 am Reply with quote
Yuji Horii's message was the most sad to me. The guy is the last of the original OG Dragon Quest trio with Sugiyama and now Toriyama gone. It must be really hard to be the last one and seeing your lifetime colleagues pass on.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:38 am Reply with quote
Oh no, please. This can't be true...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
DBZ is how I got into anime. This is so sad to see.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:49 am Reply with quote
This came out of nowhere.. RIP
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
The absolute legend of the current era has passed on...
It's hard to believe, and with so much life ahead that he had, why...

Rest in peace, and thank you for everything. You will be remembered, Toriyama-sensei...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama created many of the greatest manga and anime ever. And worked on amazing legendary game classics. Huge loss for the world but his influence will never end. Personally, Dragon Ball changed my life and I wouldn't be me if not for it.

Dragon Ball was one of the anime that made anime popular in America. It was a key factor. Without it, I don't think anime would be even 1/4 as popular today. Toriyama's works also influenced other legendary works such as One Piece and Naruto. Dragon Ball made shounen. His legacy is honestly larger than we can ever know. Toriyama left us too soon. He had a lot more he wanted to do.

I'll be eternally grateful for everything Akira Toriyama created.

RIP
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Truly, words alone can't really explain how I feel right now. While Dragon Ball wasn't exactly one of my foundational works as an fan of anime & manga, there's no denying the impact, influence, & (most importantly) enjoyment Akira Toriyama gave to people around the world.

This sums up my feelings to a T. I watched the odd episode of DBZ Kai now and then, but Dragon Ball was never as big of an influence as Naruto, Attack on Titan, Death Note, FMAB and others were. Yet at the same time, none of those shows would exist with Mr. Toriyama. In some senses, I would not be the anime fan I am if he didn’t first inspire dozens in the industry, creating millions upon millions of anime fans. He belongs among the greats of the industry for his influence alone, as maybe the only one who comes close to the impossible standard set by names such as Osamu Tezuka and Go Nagai.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Toriyama. Know that your work on stuff like Super will likely see the end, and that we will keep your memory alive now and forever.
Rubicon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
The world is a little less bright today and my heart feels so empty when I think of Toriyama being gone so soon. His work caught my imagination and inspired me to enter the world of anime when I was a teen. One of my best friends first spoke to me because I was wearing a Trunks t-shirt. He seemed more like a jock and I was a chubby nerd, but wouldn't you know it, he was a fan of DBZ too.

Toriyama's stories and designs have such a timeless quality to them and countless works have been inspired by them. While he will live on as an inspiration for decades to come, it feels so, so bittersweet to think of him now in the past tense. There is still so much of his work still to come, as others have said, so he won't feel gone for some time to come.

What a gut punch. RIP to one of the greatest legends.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
A very good post on Twitter really encapsulated the kind of humility Toriyama had, even early on, when he tried to compare himself to someone he admired in manga, Masami Kurumada. For Volume 23 of Ring ni Kakero, in 1982, Toriyama wrote the afterword, saying that he wished he could make manga as intense as what Kurumada was making, but that he didn't even have 1/10 the intensity that Kurumada had.

Roughly 20 years later, Kurumada was interviewed by the Portuguese magazine Henshin & asked if he looks at Toriyama as a "rival", only for Kurumada to almost laugh off the very idea, simply because he has to try so hard just to even shine as brightly as Toriyama does on an regular basis.

When the man Toriyama looked up to early on & felt incapable of even matching says that he had to push himself just to keep up with Toriyama, that's when you know how inherently good Akira Toriyama was at making manga.
Aster97

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
This man created the best anime ever. Surprised this article is not longer going into more detail about all his amazing works.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
Just a heads up: even American comic book writers and artists are also chiming in on Toriyama's passing. Well-known comic book artist/writer Rob Liefield has tweeted about Toriyama's passing. Have any other western/American comic book writers/artists had also chime in about the death of Akira Toriyama? I know Jim Lee shared his drawing of Goku on Twitter back in 2018, I'm probably expecting him to make a statement about Toriyama in due time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
May the man get as many puff puffs as he wants in heaven Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kikoman589

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Toriyama. You're a f**king legend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9