• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snack Basue (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 10 Ouch. That was a 0 out of 3 for me, meaning that all the segments tanked. .

It was an odd episode. I didn't love any of the segments, but I didn't hate them either. It felt like the bar patrons were all having boring days and hanging out idly passing time with semi-boring conversations, and it was...kind of boring. But to me, it also captured some of the anime's charm though I wouldn't feel that way if it had been episode two and I hadn't developed some genuine fondness for some of the characters. The segment about grownup friends and the one about Akemi making something...ummm....roughly spelled onomyoki...had some amusing low key moments but could definitely have used some surprises or solid laughs mixed in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 am Reply with quote
Probably the reason this episode whiffed harder for me is that in recent weeks I've come to expect some pretty great humour. To me, relative to that, this past episode fell flat.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
On an only slightly related note, I tried to look up Douglas Hamada, and somehow this led me to seeing Snack Basue stand up figurines for sale, cheap. And I've never been a merch type person myself. There's nary an anime statuette, poster, body pillow, illustrated coaster or mousepad, tee shirt or what have you in my house. But this is the anime that almost got me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well, I watched the last episode with a mild sense of melancholy because unless Snack Basue is much more popular in Japan than it seems to be in Western Provinces (or the low animation costs make it cheap to produce and license) I doubt I'll be seeing a season 2. The show itself seemed to end on the same note with that closing song and Mama's comforting statement to the regulars that Snack Basue would be there for the characters tomorrow even if I won't get to see it (sob). I've mentioned this before, but the voice actors portraying Morita, Yamada, and Akemi did some pretty stellar work here, and the old dude in the Miami Vice suit was pretty spot on as a world weary flake too.

One thing I noticed was that the show has been hinting about some sexual tension between Yamada and Akemi the last two episodes, which I wasn't expecting. Their duet last week, and then Akemi's friend curiosity about him.

Friday was a jam packed anime fest this season (for me at least) and even when I watched some of those shows on Saturday morning, I always tried to watch Snack Basue as a kind of end of the work week ritual
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4