• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
A rather emotional episode this week, though one that has been badly needed for a while now. Daigo is getting eaten up by his guilt and really needed an reliable ally/friend in his corner. It was a pity to see like half the episode be flashbacks, but ah well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
If you think about it, the entire series has been flashbacks, since it began in medias res with whatever disaster was happening. Smile But how many times have we been shown Daigo dislocating his shoulder now, 8? 9? (including the 2-3 recap episodes!)? Seriously, including recap eps, it's not an exaggeration to say that at least 45% of this series is recaps. Every episode begins with at least 5 min, so that's 25% of the non-OP/ED runtime right there. Then during the rest of any episode, characters invariably go off into daydreams about previous rescues or whatever. 19 episodes in and they still haven't all worked together on anything, or even formed up their special M unit.

I'll still see this out through the end of the season, but I just watch the episodes on FFW now and read the subtitles. I don't miss a thing and it only takes about ten min an episode that way. If there's any more after that, I won't be here for it.

Btw, the other thing that's been bugging me about that stupid car rescue is that shoving a pipe through a mound of dirt doesn't give you an airway, it gives you a pipe with several inches of dirt rammed into the end blocking off the air. Since they keep showing me that rescue, it just gives me more opportunities to, ahem, poke holes in it. Fine, I'm leaving now. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, this week we barely had any flashbacks and the OP only started after one minute of recap, that is a big improvement. As for the episode: besides the rescue operation (I question if electricity truly works like that) there was some more information about M Company. Seems like it is a company consisting of only the best to counter disasters, which given what will happen in the future makes sense. Though one has to wonder about why they are working towards a very specific date.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, this ep was better. Somewhat. Smile

So what the hell was up with Toyomu's skirt? Was she so flustered over the not-a-date that she forgot to button the top of it? Shocked What was the woven sash hanging off her belt about?

Second, I wonder if it's just a coincidence that glasses guy is named Shiro Amakasu? Shiro Amakusa was a leader of the outlawed Christians during the Shimabara Rebellion. It's kinda like naming a character Abraham Linclon. If not, what's it supposed to indicate? Is there some prophecy relating to disasters on July 2?

Finally, I get the title Megumi no Daigo. It took me a bit to realize Toyomu was calling M squad "Megumi," and then I remembered "gumi" means a group, as in Shinsengumi. I'm slow, sue me.

Next week, the thrilling action of Public Relations! The story of a divinely inspired True Believer! Can't wait.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
So, this week we had about 7 minutes of recap and the OP before the actual episode started. The biggest part of that was 5 minutes of showing what happened last episode, sigh. Anyway, besides my usual bitching about all the recaps, the episode was okay, it showed off another part of the machine that is the fire department.

The most interesting thing about the episode is the relation to the aging and declining population. As time goes on younger and fit people will become an increasingly rare resource and that means that the police, army and fire department have become rivals of sorts in trying to attract said young people to join them. As for how long that wil be sustainable with the birthrates as they are....
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
There is already a very big need for young people to join the fire department. When I applied, there was a waiting list. Nowadays we can't even back fill all the losses from retirements. Especially those that just put in their 20 years, get their pension and start a new career.
As for next week's episode, a dust explosion is a very real threat anytime you get a lot of small flammable particles suspended in the air. I saw what happened at a specialty woodworking shop when there was a saw dust explosion. Blew one wall off the building.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
A rather exciting episode with minimal flashbacks this week, good job. As for the topic of dust explosions, seems like we might be getting one at the start of the next episode. One has to wonder why that guy (most likely) set it all up to blow (while taken those inside with it).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:27 am Reply with quote
Sigh, rarely do I watch a final episode of an anime and feel so conflicted on how to rate the thing. On the positive side we have an interesting close look at the fire department, exciting rescues, emotional moments and some solid character progression. On the other hand we have a show that seems to do anything it can to utterly ruin the pacing with endless recaps, flashbacks and silent staring between characters. At least half the episodes start of with 3-6 minutes of recaps and still have numerous flashbacks that call back earlier moments. Some elements of the story also make little sense and some of the rescues bordered on the super human at times.

So, if you were to ask me if I would like more.....I am honestly leaning more towards no than yes right now.

Also, cheers @Gisan Otaku for the insightful posts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Wait, that was the finale? It didn't seem like it. They just ended almost where they began. Also 23 is an odd number to end on. I guess there was no preview though. Weird.

Why did they start the episode with the flashback to naming the twins?? How many episodes ago was that, a dozen or more?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well, we had progress in some ways. The future of squad M has become clear, several characters grew a lot and we now know why squad M is needed (god knows how they can predict the future though).

As for the twin thing, I suppose they put that in to show the effects of Shun and Daigo their actions and how they are building their legacy, something like that.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope this wasn't the season finale. I'd like to see more of them getting Company M up and running.
You are welcome smurky turkey. It has been nice, and a bit therapeutic, to provide some insight after 45 years on the job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5