• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Villain's Day Off (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Mr. Villain's Day Off (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 volumes, by Yuu Morikawa)

Demographic: Josei

Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation, SynergySP

Genres: comedy, science fiction, slice of life

Themes: aliens, parody

Plot Summary: A certain man is, in his working life, a major leader in an alien organization bent on world destruction, the Evil League. But even bad guys need a chance to rest, and on his days off, he does just that – trying new ice cream flavors, geeking out over pandas, and awkwardly helping human children and his chief rival, the Ranger Dawn Red.

Air Date & Platform:
January 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Comedy is only tag I'm actually seeing from Wikipedia and MAL, so everything else I listed is just conjecture based on the plot summary. I wasn't initially interested till I read the main character is actually an alien. Could be funny to see him possibly deconstruct human society a little.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I checked to see if any new anime had come out in the latter half of the day, and this little number popped up.

For some reason, as soon as the OP started, I thought of that Ice Guy and Cool Colleague anime, but as to whether it was the art of the music or what, I have no idea. I can't even remember the OP of that anime.

But the instinct wasn't far off, because this also seems like a very laid back, kind of strange, low key anime strictly for days when I'm stressed out and just want something to decompress to. Nothing to get worked up about, but in a good way I think. I got bored during Ice Guy a lot and didn't finish it, but I didn't get bored today, and I wasn't even stressed out.

So I kinda got this anime. It's more like a series of shorts than a normal episode, but I don't have a problem with that. It's very cute, but in such a weird way that I didn't find it cloying or annoying. And totally ridiculous, but that's kind of the point.

Yup so far.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:33 am Reply with quote
It reminds me of that anime with aliens visiting earth and bumbling about due to all those adorable pets/animals. It kind of has the same charms as in wholesome yet ever so slighty dark situations with just enjoying what earth has to offer. The big risk is also the same in that it might have worked better with shorter episodes due to the series consisting of many similar/samey shorts and that becoming tiresome after a few episodes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed whatever anime you're talking about Smurky. I probably avoided it because the fluffy genre isn't generally my thing.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:37 am Reply with quote
Too Cute Crisis is the name of the other one and it was indeed a lot of fluffing and screaming due to the fluff.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:39 am Reply with quote
Yup, I remember avoiding it now. Smile Maybe I'll give it a looksee.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The big difference between this and Too Cute Crisis is the calm mc who does not shout like an idiot. This week's episode was very laid back and not much of anything really happened, yet I still found it pretty entertaining.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I like the show, but I'm going to side line it for some future date when I'm sick or stressed out and looking for some easy binging.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
It is a very calming and wholesome show, yet it might get a tad tedious if you were to binge it. This week we had an extra wholesome episode with some Christmas fun including Santa needing help, meatbuns and the feared Kotatsu (I do want to try out one of those some day in the future).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
The 4th episode is the best one yet even though it barely has any rangers in it. The Hope Mart being a source of hope for some of the people visiting was good to see and the Sakura viewing bit was interesting in that it is the second supernatural entity that the mc has met. Be it Santa or the dryad/flower fairy, they seem drawn to the evil yet pure alien.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
A pity to see not many people vibing with the show, it is a very relaxing time and it manages to keep from feeling stale thanks to a decent amount of characters.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes a show has an episode that is very much different than the others before it and also manages to cast the whole show in a different light. Episode 10 of Mr. Villain is one of those episodes. It is a great episode, but it also calls the whole being a ranger thing and the war against the aliens into question.

Thus far the war between the rangers and aliens seemed harmless and jokey, yet seeing that it is a long ongoing war and that at least one generation of rangers was mostly killed makes it very much not light hearted. Being selected as a ranger also seems like something of a curse in that you are seperated from your family and have to live with the other rangers while training in order to grow strong enough to fight. You can call it with you want, but because of the former generation being mostly wiped out the rangers consisted of child fighters/soldiers at one point.

So yeah, very good episode, yet it will be hard to look at the panda jokes in the same light again.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
This thread has kind of become a blog post about me rambling about the show, so I might as well make a final post saying that I enjoyed Mr. Villain and his free days. It is a charming slice of life with enough variety to keep things fresh (though the pandas came close to being on display too often) and an alien general being a good guy on his days off is not something you see all that often. As for the alien versus ranger war thing... I still do not know how to feel about a serious topic like that in an otherwise fluffy show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1