• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really don't think Serie "failed" Frieren out of spite. Banning Frieren for a thousand years from entering any Continental Mage Association buildings - THAT was spite. Look, the whole notion of Frieren taking the exam in the first place was ridiculous. She was part of the party who defeated the Demon Lord for Pete's sake. As Serie pointed out, the only reason why so many mages even made it to the third stage was because of her. Serie knows that Frieren has zero personal investment in becoming a first class mage, so she knows that "failing" her isn't going to bother her. If she truly wanted to act out of spite, she would have failed Fern. She knows THAT would have gotten up Frieren's nose, but she didn't. Frieren is so far beyond "first class" it's laughable. It'd be like Serie taking the exam.

Fair point.

This is why the crux of the previous episode was Frieren relying on Serie's "intuition" to take the bait and pass Fern. Serie could have failed Fern, but Frieren banked on Fern to notice Serie's fluctuating mana and on Serie to recognize that.

I believe Frieren gambled on Serie prioritizing a *rare talent over pure pettiness. A part of me believes that Serie will not involve other mages just to spite Frieren, even if that mage is Frieren's student (she is petty, but she is level-headed enough not to be that petty).

*Lernen was the only other one we learned that could notice a fluctuating mana. That's a testament to his powers as well. Like Serie, I also find it tempting to see how he would fare against someone like Frieren, especially when he came from a more hostile era.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11