• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High Card (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
#24 End

Long awaited showdown between San Galgano and what's left in the Fourland Kingdom which can oppose him. As expected from the King of Spades, the only thing which really stalls him are other Players, and for the first time Love-P is actually outmatched in sheer power and prowess. No other Players from the Klondike Family were involved after Ban's death, and whatever cards the Royals had were all placed at their disposal for eventual nullification. So it really did come down to Finn and Chris to finish the job, with the former re-enacting the first ever Galgano defeat centuries later.

It looks like Flann was too far gone to be saved once the initial negotiations were interrupted. Even if they did break the connection between Flann and the King of Spades, too many lives had been taken and too much destroyed by San Galgano that Flann would have been a dead man anyway. Finn just about got off the shot in time, with Plan B execution to perfection thanks to Chris's immortality being fully restored to what it was at the start of Season One.

Detective Sugar did get her justice, as the foolish prince overplayed his hand thinking he was alone and had all the time in the world to pull off the assassination. I don't think we'll ever know why he was so desperate to become king; maybe Ban was right in that he was just spoiled and wanted everything for himself. Because of his scheming, his bloodline is more or less doomed to lose control of the kingdom their ancestor had worked so hard to build and protect, in no small part thanks to their loss of focus on what the cards really meant to them and the country they were meant to be custodians of.

The series has done enough to have a definitive end, although with clever writing they could come up with something original should they deem another season worth producing. It's been entertaining, with lots of style to the action scenes and the multiple card game puns having their place in the sun all series. Not the most highly rated series this season, but it doesn't have to be as it's been entertaining enough on its own merits.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
While I have some misgivings about the second season it stayed stylish and fun to watch until the very end. There was some extra spotlight for all the pnochle players (some more than others) and there was more of a focus on the main plot compared to the first season. It has also shown that some of the weaker cards do in fact get a chance to shine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4