• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Monster (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:03 am Reply with quote

Re:Monster (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 9 volumes, written by Kogitsune Kanekiru, illustrated by Yamaada)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Deen

Genres: action, adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: demi-humans, goblins, isekai, medevial, monsters, reincarnation, sorcery, transformations

Plot Summary: Tomokui Kanata has suffered an early death, but his adventures are far from over. He is reborn into a fantastical world of swords and magic-- as a lowly goblin. Not content to let this stop him, the now-renamed “Rou” uses his new physical abilities and his old memories to plow ahead in a world where consuming other creatures allows him to acquire their strengths and powers.

Air Date & Platform:
April 1, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

A little Berserk of Gluttony meets "Reincarnated as a [Random Monster]." At least the light novels are done, so there's the prospect of not having to wait for the story to finish 5-10 years from now.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Isekai. Reincarnation. These are not words to get my heart pumping in wild anticipation these days BUT for some reason I have a good feeling about this one. This feeling is based on nothing tangible since I haven't read the source material or been privy to any discussions about it. Just a feeling... we'll see if my gut is reliable or not.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
Several friends have recommended me to skip this one based on my dislikes and they have been more right than wrong so far....so we shall see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
Dang. That's not a good sign for me. No two people have identical tastes of course but I have noticed that you and I do tend to align a good chunk of the time. Maybe that gut feeling of mine was just indigestion...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am Reply with quote
Me, I don't get a strong sense of the anime from the trailer one way or another. Sometimes the trailer looks like the show is going to be giving off a nihilistic, violent, dark vibe, and then the trailer shows the MC looking like a green human and dressed up in an adventurer outfit and hanging out with a human female like some typical factory produced isekai.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
Yup, this one is very much not for me, I am actually kind of thankful for an easy drop in such a busy season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Certainly nothing special about it so far but I have to admit that the "goblins as protags" is just different enough for me to be kind of interested. I think I'll give this the 3-episode test. I also got the sense that the world the MC came from isn't quite our own. There was that weird knife that was used to kill him plus he had the ability to eat inorganic stuff and gain abilities from it even here on "Earth." I wonder if we'll get more insight into that kind of thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
Oh goodie, they chose the rape baby type of goblins for this show, it certainly doesn't give a bit of an icky feeling of trying a bit too hard to be edgy.

I think my main problem so far is that I find the main character pretty unlikable. Regardless of whether he is meant to grow into a better person, just the starting comments of calling them ugly green monsters or whatever, makes me think he is obnoxious peace of shit. Any of the he be good now because helped the other goblins felt forced.

I suppose that I was reminded of Jobless Reincarnation, and after two seasons of listening to the obnoxious thoughts of a reincarnated ass, I gave up even expecting the character could change to being likable and not off-putting.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:02 am Reply with quote
Yah, this one's not for me either. Maybe it'll do a quick turnaround and I'll regret not giving it 3 episodes, but I'm willing to take that chance. Especially with Reincarnated as a Slime and Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy hanging around this season to provide "Monster perspective" anime. The most interesting thing for me was the MC's ability to take on the aspects of things he ate, which would make an interesting (and potentially gross) quirk on My Hero Academia. The most distracting thing was that I kept having moments where I expected a tall, monotoned adventurer in shoddy armor to burst in at any moment and start hacking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1