• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GoHands Reveals Original Anime Project Momentary Lily With January 2025 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
NebulousNeon wrote:
I think majority of their problem stems from the fact they do whatever it takes to keep their shows as in-house as possible.

KyoAni and ufotable do too, but their results are a long way from GoHands'.

Ufotable, like gohands is an animation studio were if you can "see it", it's so hideously ugly anything they produce is a 0/10, even if the story is brilliant. Genuinely. Their nighttime colour palettes are abominably ugly and literally EVERY bloody thing they produce has literal diagetic reasons why all fights happen after hours. Some people can't "see it" and they think ufotables animation is brilliant, similarly, some people can't "see it" with gohands and think gohands animation is brilliant.

There are dozens of us. Dozens of us.

Also the girls voice in the trailer is super cute. Just felt the need to comment that.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
Ufotable, like gohands is an animation studio were if you can "see it", it's so hideously ugly anything they produce is a 0/10, even if the story is brilliant. Genuinely. Their nighttime colour palettes are abominably ugly and literally EVERY bloody thing they produce has literal diagetic reasons why all fights happen after hours. Some people can't "see it" and they think ufotables animation is brilliant, similarly, some people can't "see it" with gohands and think gohands animation is brilliant.

I'm not quite intrigued enough to subscribe to your newsletter, but I would read a blog post and/or Twitter thread arguing the case with screenshots and comparisons to other studios' nighttime scenes. Certainly it's not an impression I got from what I've seen of Demon Slayer (S1+Mugen Train). As for anything else, well, all I've seen is the first two Garden of Sinners movies, back in 2013.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ooof, that trailer.... I'll be waiting for vomit coaster clips to start circulating on Twitter when the show comes out, I suppose.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm Reply with quote
GoHands does Magical Girls? Best of luck to them.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Who keeps giving these people money?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 said it well. I too loved K because it was a fun time and its stylized visuals were retrained in comparison to the unbridled labyrinth GoHands has driven headfirst into ever since.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they're still working on new anime projects proves that despite.... mixed opinions toward their works, people still have faith in them. Otherwise, they would have been "relegated" into, say, only doing key animations.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What people kinda miss is that (1) the anime industry is so desperate to churn out TV anime that they're willing to go with studios like GoHands and that (2) GoHands seems to deliver fast enough. I think that during the Tokyo Babylon lawsuit, they're already working on Episode 21 (that's months before the supposed airing of the show).
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:

The overblown negative reputation they've gotten for their unique visual style is totally unwarranted, imo. Though I can understand it not appealing to everyone.

There's a difference between something "not appealing to someone" and "giving someone motion sickness".
The first episode of Hand Shakers made me feel physically sick, which is something that no other anime has "achieved" before. And I'm by far not the only person who felt like that, so people like me will obviously have a very negative opinion of GoHands which will in turn give them a very negative reputation.
Also, from what I can see, the majority of people(who are voicing their opinion) think it looks like garbage, even if they don't get sick from it.
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:39 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:

Rather than "some people", I'd say "most people" aren't able to "see it" (whatever "it" is supposed to be) when it comes to ufotable. And if "most people" think something is brilliant, then the general consensus will be that it's brilliant.

Also, "dozens" is a rather low number, so if it's only those "dozens" who can "see it", then "it" might just be something that looks bad to them, even if it looks neutral or good to most people.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 am Reply with quote
Ryuu14 wrote:
Also, "dozens" is a rather low number, so if it's only those "dozens" who can "see it", then "it" might just be something that looks bad to them, even if it looks neutral or good to most people.

This is what the refrance. It's intentional self-deprecation, acknowledging it to be an extreme minority opinion (but sincere, strongly held, and possibly not unique).
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:

While I wouldn't go so far as saying hideously ugly etc I am one of the dozens who thinks ufotable is similar to gohands. I haven't seen many ufotable stuff but part of that is because they're a bit... overwhelming? There's so much going on. Like gohands, they LOVE their camera movements, and it can get to the point where there's way too much going on when it really didn't need that.
I also feel they struggle a little with blending the cg backgrounds with the animation (though not on gohands level of badness), though admittedly the last ufotable title I properly watched was katsugeki touken ranbu so it's a little old now. Maybe they've improved.
ufotable can get away with it where gohands can't because of a few factors, mostly such as knowing when to control themselves, not dousing the entire thing in ugly filters, having better music and character designs (YMMV though) and not relying as much on cg (and when they do not using assets that look like generic unity assets).

So yeah, I can get where you're coming from. I know everyone loves ufotable but they really do feel like gohands but done better imo.
Both studios would be better (for me at least) if they just cooled it a bit and stopped trying to make every scene look OMG!!!!!!

tbh I feel kinda happy to see someone else has a somewhat similar view to me. I've been saying (privately because I'm a coward) that ufotable is like more acceptable gohands for a while but I wasn't sure if anyone could see my vision lol.

I wish gohands would chill out because they do have some nice animation and talented animators I remember when K released and everyone was talking about how amazing the skateboard scene was. Kinda sad that that's not what they're remembered for now...

Edit: Now that I think about it, the fight scenes in katsugeki were like always at night too...

Last edited by harminia on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
merr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
Do people in Japan have the same issues with GoHands? There’s only positive comments on the video linked in the article, which seems weird.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 am Reply with quote
K had style in spades, even if the narrative felt a bit lacking. And I really enjoyed the horny insanity of Setokai Yakuindomo. Its not that GoHands is fundamentally incapable of a good viewing experience, just that their dedication to the in-house "style" is rather divisive.

The comparison to Ufotable is interesting. I think, especially as the studio has become more successful, there's been a continued need to make things "pop" lather on more stylistic elements in action sequences. I've found that to harm the readability and flow of a scene- I have a hard time keeping track of what the heck is going on. That's all an issue, certainly- but I have a hard time reasonably comparing it to the current GoHands animation style, and its effects. Different strokes, different folks, I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am Reply with quote
I liked K well enough to watch all they animated. Scar on the Praeter was equally ok. Sure, all the characters were repurposed from K with new names. They even hung out in essentially the Red King's bar/cafe. And yet I...kinda liked the plot even though it didn't make a lick of sense, even within its own internal illogic. And hooray! The lone female didn't have platform boobs you could seat a party of six at! Sadly, it still had those ugly color filters, and janky CGI, and mismatched easy-listening jazz over action scenes that seem to be their brand. Actually their musical choices that are diametrically opposed to whatever is going on onscreen might be biggest problem with every GoHands project.

This looks a bit too genki-girly for me though, so 50-50 I'll pass on it when it's offered up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3