• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Youkai-san (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Yuri's background has one more episode in the spotlight, and it's a logical follow-up to her unexpected adventure in a different world. Turns out she hails from the frigid NE of Japan and her family is big and is still doing well. Although she did not reconcile with traditionalist father, hearing it from him how the eldest son actually refused the family business (against traditional expectations) and his own stance about not standing in the way of his offspring after they'd made up their minds about something (like Yuri's rejection of the family home) helped her reach a compromise. She will not object to future visits to the family home while her mother remains under treatment and can more easily catch up with her other siblings (she didn't know her older sister married and has offspring, with the spouse not the same Bakekitsune).

Buchio getting a driver's license means he can find work more easily, but as a newly minted Youkai with no money of his own he will most likely have to borrow his adopted family's vehicles for now until he earns enough for his coin. It will be typical of him to wait before the purchase; he likes doing things properly and sponging off the family for a drive is something he's likely to object to.

This is not the only franchise which deals with differing lifespans (the most recent and memorable franchise on this is Frieren). Unlike that one, this franchise has a lighter touch in dealing with the subject but the approach is the same. Those who are longer-lived take things for granted which the shorter-lived species have more urgency towards. Jirou's words carry weight though; when he says forever he really means it and he will continue to live for as long as the tree stands and the gods who govern the area deem him necessary. Just as Tazenbou's fishing buddy has to worry about his own impending mortality, his two much more long-lived comrades cannot appreciate the sentiment but like all good neighbours (a big theme running through this franchise) immediately offer to help in any way they can.

The post-credits scene is surprisingly a follow-up to last week's episode as well. Just as the Kisaragi urban legend in real life gets a retelling in that episode, the premise in this one is that urban legends really do come true in this universe. Rumour coming to "life" have real consequences, which has its own implications regarding the silent buzz-cut kid in the initial scene (this caught me out, I knew there were four of them but the buzz cut had no speaking parts and had more muted reactions. Had to rewind and rewatch several times to appreciate how well done this was). It strongly reminds me of the "Another" horror novel which has spun off its own manga, anime and live-action adaptations each with its different spin on the source material. The sentient anatomical figure is another Japanese urban legend also brought to life, but he/it(?) is more benign and is treated like the school's Hanako as a figure to approach for advice informally by students. Not sure if this arc is going to be developed further in the next episode, or if it's a one-off to add more exposition to the world already described.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
The monster called a Tulpa comes fromTibetan mythology, a being given life by the thoughts and imaginations and emotions of lots of people believing in it passionately until the situation reached a kind of critical mass. So, for example, there might be Elvis's and Tupacs and Santas running around out there. The show Supernatural used them to good effect, and this show made me remember some of those episodes fondly.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Welp, last week I said that the shorter segments about differing lifespans and the ghost story felt too short and here we are. Episode 7 provided a lot of the mixed feelings when it comes to lifespans of different lengths. It was a rather heavy episode for that reason and I am not sure what to think. Sure, living for very long (having the potential to at least) means you get to experience a lot more but it also means saying a lot of goodbyes. On the other hand, it also means getting to know a lot more people and having plenty of time to explore the world/hobbies etc.

On a side note, the family knowing that they are a descendant from a banana plant/spirit should have done a tad more research into what that entails and making sure every member of the family knows that information. Having that plant be a critical weakness and out in the open unprotected is not great. Maybe nothing bad could have been done against the plant and it died/withered due to age, but was that fully explained?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 pm Reply with quote

The running theme of differing lifespans takes a more serious tone this week, what with the gap between humans and most non-humans and how the longer-lived ones have to deal with the inevitability which comes with it. It's tied in with Wagen's backstory, which is also a very charming albeit bittersweet tale about inter-species romance.

This is the first and likely only franchise I'll ever watch that will depict the Umibouzu as something akin to a whale playing offshore. Anyone aware of the legends behind these particular entities are fully aware they are nowhere near as benign as depicted here, both them and the Daidabocchi they are supposed to be related to.

I'm quite sure cats have some human foods they are allergic to, but in this franchise turning into a Youkai gives non-human spirits like Wagen and Buchio distinctly human proclivities with food and alcohol. It does simplify matters as far as sustenance is concerned, as it would mean not having to cater to a Wagen who continued to consume motor oil and antifreeze.

Not only are inter-species couplings possible, they even pass on some of their genetic traits and susceptibilities. Just as Jirou is vulnerable to annihilation if the cedar his spirit is bound to is destroyed, so too do descendants of human-youkai pairings who inherit the latter's peculiar weakness of a vulnerable host body. Banana plants aren't some kind of ornamental plant that can be moved indoors and taken care of like a museum exhibit, like all plants they are susceptible to disease and old age which humans can stave off for a time with the appropriate care whilst keeping them outdoors where they are suited. For Wagen's human master, that was likely not possible because her family divorced when she was younger and eventually the family home was abandoned, leaving the plant to the mercy of the elements and time. Like many entities in this franchise, living life and enjoying the day to day moments to the maximum is the default method for coping with that clawing sense of inevitability that comes with human-youkai relationships.

This applies to Jirou as well, as it explains why he is so partial to Mutsumi despite being a Tengu who has lived since the establishment of the settlement. It seems he owes Mutsumi's great-grandmother an apology, but we will have to find out why next week. There's more than a passing resemblance between Mutsumi now and the great grandmother Kazue from back then, so perhaps there was a romantic relationship which had to end due to the difference in lifespans. That would be a twist if it means Jirou is related to Mutsumi, but it's down to next week to see how that pans out.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 am Reply with quote
This was the first episode where I thought "Oh, so this probably isn't a show for kids too." The Highlander motif was indeed pretty heavy. That said, I liked it and continue to be impressed by this show, and I thought the way they had the same narrative baton being passed between the different members of the ensemble like some kind of relay race was skillfully handled. I have to say, this season has been a cornucopia of different kinds of delights. There should be something for everyone unless I'm missing something, and people who appreciate a good smorgasbord ought to be tucking in. .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3