• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Single dvd or Bento Boxsets?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The only current copy I own of The Rurouni Kenshin TV series is HK bootleg. I will soon have the cash to purchase it domestically.

Should I buy them as the single dvd's or as the Bento Boxsets. And are their any drawbacks to buying them either way? Thanks for the help regardless. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I personally would go for whats the cheapest since it is a long series to buy...it all depends on whether you want the boxset look or the individ. dvd look since I'm pretty sure the dvds themselves are the same and will have teh same extras...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Kenshin, one of my favorite topics Wink.

I used to own just about all of the first 15 of 22 DVDs, but then I sold them off to friends and stores and, like you, bought the bootleg.

I bought the fx "Perfect Collection" before I knew what bootlegs really were, and have since then gotten rid of it. And I was especially ticked off at that thing because the Japanese audio wasn't in sync with the animation (and I of course despise the dub...)

Anyway, out of my honest opinion, I would suggest you get the box sets of each "arc."

Sure the individual cases look nicer, but you'll save SO much more money. I did a little math, and if you were to buy all 22 for about $18 a DVD, you'd end up spending close to $400, and that doesn't even include shipping.

Whereas each box set is around $80-90 at Deep Discount DVD, you save considerably more money if you went the box set path.

I pesonally, am trying to save up for the boxes, only because I know there're WAY more other titles I'd like to start saving up for in advance.

But if you decide you want the separate volumes anyway, I won't stop you, that just means you're giving more money to Media Blasters Razz.

In any case, here's a link to find the individual volumes:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_videos.php/tab_id=4/found=1/form_keyword=Rurouni+Kenshin/
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony, that's the HK I bought as well. Blast stupid FX to hell for their treachery.

In any case. I found an auction I will be bidding on. You yourself might want to check this out Tony.

BOTH bento boxsets for under $150.00 Shocked

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=4191950487&rd=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
And while were on the topic of Kenshin, This may sound like a silly question, but is this DVD even real?

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/muze_images/Video/DVD/70/204370_66x90.jpg

I've gone through 3 diffrent copies of Seisouhen and even ordered it featuring that image and still getting the lame old U.S. release cover.

Is there a cover like that, or is that some sort of tease to us due to the really REALLY bad U.S. Seisouhen cover? *the japanese cover is ok, not up to par with the other reverse cover showever.*
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Heh, heh. Ironically, I looked at that same auction when I was looking for pictures to post during my first reply to this thread just a few minutes ago.

That's a very nice deal indeed. Unfortunately, I already spent a forwarded allowance of 10 weeks to get the entire LE set of X (TV), I got all 8 volumes with the LE slipcases and the box, the Boogiepop Phantom Ultra Edition Box (box only), .hack//SIGN LE Vol.5 & 6, Haibane Renmei LE Vol.1, .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet LE Vol.1, and Chobits LE Vol.1.

I know, I'm crazy, but since they're LE, I thought "ah, what the heck?"

So as of now, I'm not getting any money till around the end of July, which I'll then probably start saving up for the Evangelion Platinum Editions...

Argh. Too much anime... Anime cry.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I can pretty much be dead sure that between purchasing all of Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, and Halo 2 this summer, I'll probably never be able to afford a car. Crying or Very sad

But atleast I will have money for college. Some of my friends are so into anime that they are emptying their bank accounts into it, and with those bank accounts they were also supposed to go to college. Flushing their future right down the drain. Sad

In any case, the bento boxsets are indeed much cheaper and although I heard a nasty rumor that the sleeve inserts scratch the disks, It's a small price to pay. Besides, I just can't afford the dvd's seperately.

Although If I could I would purchase them seperately since giving money to media blasters equals more, better anime from them. Laughing

In any case, I thank you for your help and guidance to all you posted. You helped me out alot. Thanks! Smile

Also, Tony did some math and then I did some math and if I were to purchase all 3 Bento Box Set's at deepdiscountdvd.com, then it would cost $257.94 which while about $30.00 out of my price range, is an attainable goal. It also costs Much MUCH less then the near $450.00 total in would be if you purchased the DVD's individualy.

So if you actually bought all 22 Rurouni Kenshin dvd's, then I have only one thing to say... ... ... ... ... ... ... Can I borrow some money?! Anime hyper

Thanks again people.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know this is a little old.

I case anyone cares *which you probably don't* I made my decision and ordered all 3 bento boxsets of Rurouni Kenshin off of deepdiscountvd.com on Tuesday.

Also, I noticed no sites have a picture for the third Bento Boxset. Although my school has the site with the picture blocked off, When I come home I'll put the picture up for all of you.

Thanks for your time and opinions once again. Wink
Tiresias

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the third boxset isn't out yet, so it's possible you pre-ordered that one and have now caused your order to be held until it comes out, last I saw in August. Maybe they'll send the others out and not charge you extra for the extra shipping.

I have already bought the first two sets, and the only major complaint I have is with the boxes themselves. They're kinda cheaply made cardboard and when it gets humid the lids have warped. My first set the lid bows out so bad I try to wedge it against other discs tight enough to keep the discs from falling out.

One positive note though, without the plastic holders like in regular DVD cases, the discs can't come free and be scratched by loose platics bits. I had heard stories of the discs coming loose from the paper sleeves, but mine have all been in perfect condition and still in their sleeves.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
I'm pretty sure the third boxset isn't out yet, so it's possible you pre-ordered that one and have now caused your order to be held until it comes out, last I saw in August. Maybe they'll send the others out and not charge you extra for the extra shipping.

Just in case you're curious, you can preorder it here:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI020267

They offer free shipping, so whether you buy it then or now, it'll cost the same regardless. Although in my opnion, post-Kyoto is so bad, it should be sold for under $50. Mad Arrow Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1