• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon (TV)
Season 02: Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 3 volumes, written by Hirukuma, illustrated by Itsuwa Kato)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
AXsiZ
Studio Gokumi

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, slice of life

Themes: anthropomorhps, factions, isekai, medieval, monsters, reincarnation, sentient machine, transformations

Plot Summary: The protagonist was a vending machine otaku in his past life, having died protecting vending machines from traffic accidents. When he awakens, he finds himself on a lakeshore and confused about what happened. He knows only one thing, now he's a vending machine. He meets a girl outside of a labyrinth in this new world, and his story starts to progress.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 5, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: Pending
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: Pending
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

- Season 01

Episode 01: The Vending Machine Travels
Episode 02: The King Frog Fiend Appears
Episode 03: Rebuilding
Episode 04: Boxxo is Abducted

Episode 05: Vanity, Pride, and Vending Machine
Episode 06: The Fighting Vending Machine
Episode 07: The Voracious Devils
Episode 08: The Flame Skeletitan of the Labyrinth Stratum

Episode 09: A Less-than-Ideal Hero
Episode 10: Gastric Measures
Episode 11: The Dead's Lament Stratum
Episode 12: What Can Be Done as a Vending Machine

OP (w/ Lyrics in CC): "Fanfare" by BRADIO
ED: "(The) Usual Soup" by Peel the Apple

- Season 02

Episode 13 (S02E01):
Episode 14 (S02E02):
Episode 15 (S02E03):
Episode 16 (S02E04):

Episode 17 (S02E05):
Episode 18 (S02E06):
Episode 19 (S02E07):
Episode 20 (S02E08):

Episode 21 (S02E09):
Episode 22 (S02E10):
Episode 23 (S02E11):
Episode 24 (S02E12):

When I first heard about this a month ago, I thought to myself, "people must be using a dart board with random pictures on 'em or just looking at their surroundings to find items to turn into isekai stories." I couldn't help but laugh out-loud at work and tell my friend/workmate right next to me (who is also into anime) about how ridiculous the premise for this one sounded. And this, after I just got him into watching Campfire Cooking in Another World. He laughed, too, and agreed the "reincarnated as a vending machine" idea sounded really silly.

But I'll be watching this for three reasons:

1. It sounds ridiculous enough to try. And with the novels being done, I'm sure one season is all this needs.

2. Jun Fukuyama doing more comedic roles. I like him a lot in (The) Vampire Dies in No Time, so I'm curious to hear Lelouch play a vending machine otaku.

3. BRADIO. They're my favorite J-Band, at the moment, and I love their music. Even if the show itself is so-so, at least the opening will be rockin.'

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:27 pm; edited 26 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
If this was Reborn as a Coffee Maker, I Now Wander the Dungeon, Edjwald would lose his mind with excitement... Wink

I agree with you Tony K., the premise of this is just way too goofy to not at least give it a test drive. And who knows? It might actually end up being good/entertaining.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If this was Reborn as a Coffee Maker, I Now Wander the Dungeon, Edjwald would lose his mind with excitement... Wink

No...no I wouldn't!

(Definitely not imagining a sentient coffee maker resting on a counter in some adventurers guild, dispensing common sense advice and strong coffee while all of these priests and barbarians and wizards and thieves gather around interacting and gossiping and b!+ching about their jobs as if they were in a modern day office comedy...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but... Edjwald, if some anime studio doesn't snap you up as a writer, they're CRAZY!!!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:27 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not, but the light novels of this have a pretty good story with some actual emotional moments even.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:47 am Reply with quote
Edited because I asked if the vending machine was stationary like a dumb@$$,, then realized that the title said it wandered, and I thought I'd try to avoid a bunch of posts pointing that out.

smurky turkey wrote:
Believe it or not, but the light novels of this have a pretty good story with some actual emotional moments even.

So how does it work? Do they wheel the person around on a wagon? Does the vending machine have little penguin feet or something? Or would that be a spoiler?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:22 am Reply with quote
The vending machine can not move, 99% of the time he is carried by the blond girl who has some rather overpowered strength due to a blessing of might. In this case the wandering part of the title refers more to him being carried through the different dungeons and being useful than him walking around himself.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Welp, like Blood and Tony K said, I'm in. If nothing else, I'm curious to see where that dramatic tension you were talking comes from.

(Everyone's depending on me. Must...make...peanut butter Nabs....).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:27 am Reply with quote
It is also a good show in showing off just how vending machine crazy Japan can be.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Despite having read some of the novels I had some doubts as to how good the anime would actually be....but I really liked the first episode. The animation is solid and the whole thing is presented with a fair bit of charm. The characters are fun and the world is an interesting enough place to learn more about. Color me pleasantly surprised.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Welp, it's not a suspense thriller or a laugh riot, but it kept me interested for 20+ minutes, so I'll give it a go. I will say that the main character's love of vending machines seems pathologically insane to me, but if it keeps him from being tortured while essentially trapped in a big can, here's hoping he doesn't recover from it.

It'll be interesting to see how he upgrades in any case.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I consider this title a sign of desperation for a new idea (that failed)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

The premise for this is so outlandish that I expected it to be funnier than it ended up being. I'll continue watching some more but I don't get that, "oh yeah, this is a keeper for sure" instinct I sometimes do when a show really clicks for me.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
1:

You know when was the exact moment I knew this was going to be a mindless show?

It's when the guy saw the vending machine about to fall off the truck, and decided to somehow save it while riding a scooter. Because no human being in their right mind would think that that's a good idea.

And then, it sealed itself to be a mindless show when he admits to be a vending machine otaku, which explained just about everything.

Seeing how overdone isekai in the manga/anime community, I was actually wondering if this is going to be a parody of the genre. Maybe it is, but also, maybe it is not; it's still very much an isekai show. Maybe the only difference is that, unlike most isekai shows that take the action/adventure route, this one's taking the slice-of-life direction.

I was actually beginning to feel bored when the first one-third of the show is basically a monologue by the vending machine, which began to feel like a Japanese stand-up comedy routine... and I'm not a fan of Japanese stand-up comedy routines. Thank goodness Lammis came and broke the stagnating comedy bit just in time.

Am I going to stick around? Not sure. Just wondering where the story is going to go from here.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:11 am Reply with quote
You should go on a trip on youtube about vending machine otaku, there are some real hardcore fans out there. So hardcore in fact, that I find the premise of the mc dying no longer to be that absurd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4