• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Alucard, Hellsing franchise

I want to get my votes in this round. But it's all decided by now for Spike. My vote goes to Alucard. Vampires are generally cool, but he's the coolest of cool beings. Not just because of the typical charm that vampires posess, since Alucard is actually quite different in that regard as he pure badass. One thing that is both cool and badass is his virtually unlimited power. Sure it can seem uncool when it is logistically impossible for him to lose any fight but I'm more intrigued by the execution and the times you think he's lost when really it's just merely a fleshwound for him.

Group D-30
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Motoko is a bit rough around the edges and kind of stoic for me to be considered extremely cool, but I like her temperament. She's kind of like a Arnold Swartzenegger, or maybe a Kenshiro cool.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 is now closed.

With a mere 17 votes in (presumably because neither of these matches ever looked close), the official results:

A-29: Spike spiked Alucard 14-3. (Sorry, but the pun seemed appropriate.)
A-30: Motoko Kusanagi ousted Kamina 11-5.

No real surprise in either case, given arguments and voting trends voiced so far.

And now, the newest edition of. . .
POWER RANKINGS
1. Balsa, 0.926829
2. Spike, 0.858974
3. The Count, 0.824176
4. Mugen, 0.769231
5. Akira Tokizawa, 0.747253
6. Motoko, 0.734177
7. Lady Eboshi, 0.731707
8. Guts, 0.725275

Next round should be up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Round 5 Group A/B Finals are now closed.

Results can be found here.

For those new to our tournament format, once we hit this level we start doubling up the Groups. Thus we will determine two of the Final Four here. And boy, do we have some tough matches here!

One other thing: the newest set of video clips might not be up right away due to some technical issues on my end. I hoped to have them posted yet tonight, and they definitely will be by late tomorrow afternoon.

Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo

Group B Final
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

Last edited by Key on Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
I remember that in the previous round there were some good arguments against Guts, who is apparently a tragic hero who fails and it is where his appeal comes from. This definitely makes him look more interesting, but also less cool, so my vote goes to Mugen.

Group B Final
vs.
It is a no-brainer for me. Balsa is the better choice; she is such an awesome woman and I cannot think of anything that would give Lady Eboshi an edge here. The biggest advantage that Balsa has is the fact that she has depth, but like in Harlock’s it only adds to her coolness.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Think I need to start voting early, and get in the habit of voting again, and I was planning on voting yesterday, but came back home just after the deadline.

Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Mugen is a top class performer when it comes to the rule of cool, but while he is full of attitude, some would say he has an attitude problem. He is a constant complainer, whiner, and he lacks the determination and commitment found so commonly in Guts. I doubt Guts will win due to his tragic nature, but even when a character doesn't succeed in the end they can be sympathetic and what they fight for can be cool. And if it is any small consolation I don't think what lead to the penultimate tragedy was Gut's fault. I also believe that while Mugen is cooler in modern sense, Guts is the cool solemn classic anime archetype that's a bit rarer than the Mugen/Spike model. However, I won't fault anyone who takes either of those characters to the top. I am mainly voting for Guts here to argue the other side of the coin. I think in reality Muigen has less weaknesses; I just find his whining attitude to be a bigger detractor to his cool factor than most other people.

Group B Final
vs.
Balsa is a beacon of cool that succeeds both in her actions, attitude, and goals in affirming her cool nature. She's a role model, she's virtuous, fights for what she believes in, she has a natural grace, and she has unflinching demeanor that even would give the Major a run for her money. Unlike the Major, it seems like there is more soul and passion that within her character. The Major comes off as more jaded and cynical I would find it hard to fault Balsa. I think her main weakness may be that she espouses her virtues too often and is a bit naive in her ultimate goal, but these are minor quibble for a cool character that only likable, but a good role model unlike Guts, Mugen, the Count or other reaming choices. I also thought that Lady Eboshi was rather bland and her intensity and courageous action felt more symbolic and forced than natural.

Last edited by Olliff on Sun May 08, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Results. Sorry for the delay, I've been rather busy.

Not surprisingly, the minigame results for D-4 were on the high end. This cemented Mow's position in the top 3, and Olliff has now secured at least 2nd place.
ClownFREAK

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
GUTS vs MUGEN well as you could probably tell im going all the way with GUTS the guy never quits and truthfully barely seems human he should b the poster boy for coolness and all around bad-assery. although i do like mugen i just feel like he just doesnt match up. and about guts failingspoiler[i think mugen tieng in the fight with jen was both a failure and anticlimatic, plus a sword breaking would never end a fight for guts hell the guy used a broken sword to chop off his own arm, and b4 u se that mugen and jen were friends that wouldn't and didn't stop guts] well i could go on but im typin wit my ps3 what a pain. and as for group B dont really care enough about either to vote, alright if i have to vote i guess i would choose Balsa mainly because i cant remember much about the other chick

Last edited by ClownFREAK on Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
ClownFREAK wrote:
...and as for group B don't really care enough about either to vote...

You need to vote for both match-ups or your vote for Guts won't count.

Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo

This is both a close contest for me and one where I think neither deserve to win. I recently tried to do a re-watch of Samurai Champloo because I hadn't yet reviewed it in My Anime. I gave up through boredom about half way through. Mugen, Jin and Fuu just don't do it for me. Mugen is childish and petulant. By default, my vote goes to Guts who is certainly bad-ass, even though his tragic side undermines him.

Group B Final
vs.

I'm voting for Lady Eboshi because both women are awesome, but I nominated her and shall remain loyal to the bitter end. It won't break my heart if Balsa wins because she is an impressive candidate.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo

Going with Mugen. From the Previous Arguments, I think that Guts just really isn't all that Cool. Mugen doesn't dwell on his mistakes, just moves forward like a crazy man.

Group B Final
vs.

Eboshi is a pretty good character, but in this case she is just outclassed and out-cooled by Balsa who is a much more solid character and just has a Cool factor about her all the time.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Thu May 05, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
What mistake exactly? The mistake of not beating a legion of demons? His decision of leaving Griffith was what any cool person would do. It's not like Griffith was some 12 year old kid. Talking about mistakes, did we forget who his opponent is? You can't seriously argue that Mugen doesn't make a mistake like every episode.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Have to agree with egoist here, Guts' supposed mistakes and dwelling on the past have been grossly exaggerated in the arguments. He can't be held responsible for Griffith's actions and in every encounter in the series he always fights like hell and manages to come out top. His inabilty to spoiler[save his comrades during the Eclipse can hardly be considered a failure when the odds were so vastly against him.] Mugen's situation is somewhat similar, but not really comparable.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo

Mugen- Mugen has his shortcomings. He has a short temper and a loud mouth. He makes it up by being loyal to his companions whom he joins for good and for bad (Fuu and Jin, and previously- Mukuro and his sister), to the extent spoiler[when he risks to sacrifice life to safe Fuu from the three criminals at the end of the series. ]

He lives his life as if there was not tomorrow, but utlimately- it is his attutide that helps him survive. He gains respect and reputation with skills that he taught himself. Ans his skills is insane.

Group B Final
vs.
Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke[/quote]

Lady Eboshi
Having both of them in the same match, hard choice.
I was supporting Eboshi all the way, and I am thrilled to see her get that far. I will support until the end a woman who challenges gods and did do it for completely selfless reasons.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Group A Final
Voting for: Guts, Berserk

Reasons: Gut just has a stronger reputation when it comes to this tournament for me and the arguments for him have been stronger as well.

Group B Final

Reasons: While Eboshi is probably the only thing I remember fondly from Princess Mononoke I don`t think she`s a top tier competitor here. Balsa has had excellent arguments made for her in the past so I`ll be going with her here.
mow123

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Group A Final
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Guts keeping this match competitive with Mugen really makes me believe that how people evaluate a character's overall coolness varies greatly from character to character when it should be based at least partially on common characteristics and criteria.

Based on this logic, Mugen should win over Guts and it should be a landslide not because of Mugen's strengths, which I think are great, but because Guts has so many glaring weaknesses when it comes to judging cool. Guts is a tragic character, but he is also a pawn and manipulated. To add fuel to the fire, his character ends in failure due to his loyalty and lack of a broad perspective. Sure, there are many cool things about Guts, such as the fact he is practically the personification of strength and willpower, but his weaknesses are too great to hold him back. While it was never the intention of his character, Guts lacks the distinct style, charisma, and presence. Griffith fills this role, but anyone who said seen the series knows why he isn't here. Cool needs to permeate deeper than the surface.

Mugen matches the criteria of what makes a character cool. He has a colorful, an attitude, his own unique and powerful style that just doesn't define his character, but extends beyond that to define the mood and the style of the entire series. Mugen also his series working for him, Samurari Champloo is much more concerned about being cool and stylish than Berserk, and that effort has rubbed off on its characters. Also Mugen's series is more about the journey than the destination and the character take more of the front seat than the more plot focused Berserk. Mugen's critics seem to focus on his attitude as biggest weakness, but I see it as a strength. Sure, he is a bit of slacker, and a bit uncouth, but his character exudes a certain charm, and charisma despite being a bit rude and lewd. I think this nature will erroneously cause him to lose against straight laced more good focused characters like Balsa, but that's an argument for another day.

Group B Final
vs.
Voting for Eboshi would be the strategic choice since I believe Mugen is much better chance of beating her, but Balsa is cooler for all of the reasons stated so far, her depth and complexity being the main ones.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Group A Final
Guts, Berserk vs.
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Choosing: Mugen
Because I find it funny how people talk of Guts' reputation, yet in the first clip used, when he should have a reputation in series, he doesn't. Here he is, a monster of a man who even has such an ominous moniker of "The Black Swordsman", and a bunch of two-bit goons aren't even scared enough of him after he kills several of them to run away. Sure, effortlessly killing villainous enemies is cool, but the thugs he offed were mere bullies of the sort to run away to get their friends to help when any real threat appears, and they didn't recognize Guts as such. With his reputation, he should have been able to just glare and the goons harassing the girl in the pub and send them running.
While Mugen may not be capable of such finer points of intimidation, where he exceeds Guts is style. It's not enough simply to be strong enough to fight giant demons, you need panache while doing it. Compared to the stone-faced mannerisms of Guts, Mugen is a veritable hurricane of enthusiasm in a fight. And while this may be a less tangible indicator, to me the strongest point in Mugen's favor is that I couldn't help but smile throughout his video clips, which was a sensation that none of those for Guts elicited.

Group B Final
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit vs.
Choosing: Balsa
Because Both characters are incredible, both in personality and accomplishments, and it's a tougher call than I initially realized. I won't be disappointed whichever of these two moves on, but I'm giving a slight edge to Balsa for doing all that badass things she does and also being a mother to a child that isn't hers (for half a year).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 53