• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dates of episodes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karitaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure where to post this question.
There are many episodes that have no air date. How can I add the date to an already existing episode title?

Thank you
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Add the information as if submitting a new episode title, complete with airing date, then submit an error report to the old info lacking the airing date. A staff member will redeem the old entry later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
Adding air dates for older series would be more of a guess as to when it actually airs because they often take a couple weeks off for something, or a week here and week there, so basically you go from the start date every week there, and then go all the way to the ending date and adjust the air dates to something that you think makes the most sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
karitaru wrote:
There are many episodes that have no air date. How can I add the date to an already existing episode title?

You are able to submit an air date without re-submitting the episode and then sending an error report. You can just submit it like this, for example:

01. (2003-03-04)

Enter it like that, without the title. The date will show up next to the already entered episode title like it would if you had been the one to enter the title in the first place. Anime catgrin
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
You are able to submit an air date without re-submitting the episode and then sending an error report. You can just submit it like this, for example:

01. (2003-03-04)

Enter it like that, without the title. The date will show up next to the already entered episode title like it would if you had been the one to enter the title in the first place. Anime catgrin

PLEASE DON'T.

This will result in very ugly formatting, as the episode title would be shown one line below. The date information added this way is considered an incomplete yet independent entry, NOT supplementing the existing entry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:

01. (2003-03-04)

Enter it like that, without the title. The date will show up next to the already entered episode title like it would if you had been the one to enter the title in the first place.

PLEASE DON'T.

This will result in very ugly formatting, as the episode title would be shown one line below. The date information added this way is considered an incomplete yet independent entry, NOT supplementing the existing entry.

Sorry! Gosh, I hate giving bad advice... Embarassed
I seems a little silly though... there should be a way to enter partial information, without making things look ugly in the process. Isn't that going to be a pain for the staff, to have to remove all the double episode entries afterwards? And then, who gets the credit for the entry? The person who originally entered the titles, or the person who entered the air dates?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Adding air dates for older series would be more of a guess as to when it actually airs because they often take a couple weeks off for something, or a week here and week there, so basically you go from the start date every week there, and then go all the way to the ending date and adjust the air dates to something that you think makes the most sense.

No, for the love of God, please don't enter wild guesses in the encyclopedia, it serves no purpose whatsoever. We want the encyclopedia to be *accurate* right?

cardcaptormanda wrote:
I seems a little silly though... there should be a way to enter partial information, without making things look ugly in the process. Isn't that going to be a pain for the staff, to have to remove all the double episode entries afterwards? And then, who gets the credit for the entry? The person who originally entered the titles, or the person who entered the air dates?

Both users get credit for the info. And yes, it's a lot of trouble for the staff. Honestly, episode listings need to be vastly improved. Just like an anime can have multiple titles and multiple dates, an episode should be able to have the same thing, as well as running time, comments, trivia, alternate versions, etc, etc. Oh, and links to the relevant Edit List Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
karitaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:07 am Reply with quote
It's good that I didn't read the above suggestions before adding the dates. I am done with about 300 episodes of Detective Conan, and I feel so sorry for the poor editor who would be deleting 300 lines of titles.
Anyways, I have the correct dates, according to the tv tome website. But, you know, it is all for the completeness of this site, which I - and I am sure you all - like very much.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Honestly, episode listings need to be vastly improved. Just like an anime can have multiple titles and multiple dates, an episode should be able to have the same thing, as well as running time, comments, trivia, alternate versions, etc, etc. Oh, and links to the relevant Edit List Anime smile

Can I just make a teeny tiny suggestion? Nothing big... hardly any effort at all to implement... just a smidgeon of work...

Currently, episode titles are listable in English and Japanese. But I'd really like to see multiple language support, corresponding to the languages available in the database. I have access to near-complete episode title listings for a number of anime, in a number of European languages. Call it 5000+ entries.... enough to keep me working for the rest of 2004, and a bit into 2005.... Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:36 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Currently, episode titles are listable in English and Japanese. But I'd really like to see multiple language support, corresponding to the languages available in the database.

Agreed. Some anime have non-Japanese, non-English title in the very first place, e.g. French for Rose of Versailles, Sakura Wars 3 / 4 and MariMite; German for Elfen Lied, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1