• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Finished with episode 2. This show's a keeper.

FINALLY, an anime MC who's actually awesome. Holy shit, Kirito is GAR as f*ck, he better remain that way over the course of the story.
Seed92

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
dun watch too fast...

else you'll be suffering 6 days a week and 1 day of happiness
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

spoiler[Seems like Asuna was thriving in a guild.
Kirito was pretty uninterested to join the fight this time.
Asuna keeps taking his advice. It's pretty LOL
Looks like their safe area was not as safe as they thought.
Those two working a case together was a nice treat.
That "Guilty Thorn" weapon was pretty unusual.
Looks like this episode was detective style and it's not done yet either.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I really think spoiler[Yoruko is the culprit. Maybe all the scenes focusing on her were red herrings but I honestly think she's the culprit. I think she faked her death and is trying to frame Grimlock.]

I think the show is eh so far. I'm not really intrigued by the side stories so far and I want the show to go back to the original story line. I'm pretty much watching this because it's one of the few shows that I can watch to occupy my free time on Saturdays.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Skullface wrote:
Key wrote:
Masakaki wrote:

Oooh, finally, more Asuna and main storyline advancement. Too bad I'll likely be so busy on Saturday that I won't get to watch it until Sunday. Rolling Eyes

Makes me almost as excited as knowing that there's only one more filler ep left before the AS/Toonami broadcast of Bleach gets back to the main storyline (after, what, 7-8 months of filler). . .

not the main story line yet lolol
still got spoiler[one more side story after this next ep]
but I think Asuna is here for good now with this next ep and will appear in every ep from here on out

spoiler[Their covering argos and yuis side story so we have 2 left and yuis side story will probably take two episodes..]
Skullface

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:

spoiler[Their covering argos and yuis side story so we have 2 left and yuis side story will probably take two episodes..]

spoiler[argos?? and yes I know yui's but that will happen in the middle of the main story. The next ep should finish the current side story then they will go onto Liz's side story and after that they will be at volume 1's story]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I also thought spoiler[Yoruko was the killer] but I don't know now. I doubt the game would allow the ability to fake your own death since as Kirito mentioned, SOA is a fair game. The guy who made the game might be wacky but he seems to have built a well designed trick-less game.

Also I am happy Asuna is finally in the episodes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
My initial thought was that spoiler[the dude killed himself, after some guy threatened the chick, but with her death, who knows. I do hope the answer to this mystery isn't "secret trick you haven't seen yet," because that would be pretty lame.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A bug in the system?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The reactions of the two side characters at the end were hilarious! Unfortunately, I don't think they were supposed to be... I'm enjoying the art and music, but I'm also getting impatient for the main storyline to come.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
My initial thought was that spoiler[the dude killed himself, after some guy threatened the chick, but with her death, who knows. I do hope the answer to this mystery isn't "secret trick you haven't seen yet," because that would be pretty lame.]

I don't think the game would let him kill himself any more than it would let someone else kill him. You just can't take damage in town. Kirito wanted to test out the spear by stabbing his own hand after all.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
What now? Are we having a gathering of formulaic characters per episode?

They've at best scratched by the main plot since episode 2, and episode 6 doesn't seem to be the combo breaker. It's still within an acceptable range of disappointment, but I'd really like if they dropped the shonen anime formula already.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people who thought that spoiler[Yoruko was secretly the culprit - right up to the point where she sat in the window, at which time I knew that she was doomed.]

Even though it's going to a second episode, I've liked this side story so far. It at least gets Asuna back into the picture, shows that she's not only done very well for herself without Kirito but has even made a name for herself, and gives us at least a taste of what's happening on the front line. The mystery story and the way it delves further into game mechanics isn't half-bad, either, and seeing Kirito and Asuna working together to solve the mystery only furthers an impression that I got back in episode 2: that these two have a stronger "couple" vibe going than most romantic comedy pairings do. The little touch where spoiler[Asuna was recognized in the restaurant but Kirito wasn't] was also interesting, too, and certainly says something about their relative game approaches.

Still, the series is further mired in sidestoryland. Even though some of these stories are good, they don't shake the feeling that we're not really into the story yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought exactly what Key thought about who was the culprit. Someone earlier mentioned that she could've faked her death. I think that's a longshot, but possible.

OTOH, it could be spoiler[the guildleader. Remember that no one actually saw her die, and if her in-game "husband" was getting some action from Yoruko, then that might be the cause. I think the whole rare ring selling thing is a red herring. The name "Guilty Thorn" implies that someone did something wrong and is being punished -- maybe several someones.]

I don't mind the side-story nature of these early episodes, though I am looking forward to when it gets down to business with the main storyline.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I could tell that the spoiler[girl was very likely going to die when she was sitting by the window, either assassin, or by panicked suicide. I can not really figure it out, I did not really think that it was the girl doing it, it is likely next episodes title "Illusionary Avenger"] probably has some relevance.

So Kirito and Asuna have often had diverging opinions, fighting in the decision making area, but they still seem to get along when they are alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 274