• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm sure somebody somewhere has suggested this already, but here goes.

Kirito has a much more effective way of rescuing Asuna than what he is doing. I am sure he has all sorts of friends from the SAO game now in the real world that are willing and capable of doing extralegal things for him. Why don't they just abduct the scummy bad guy (he's walking around without guards), take him somewhere secluded and quiz him with a blow torch until he coughs up the admin passwords?

Rescue not only Asuna but the other 300 trapped people.

They have no real idea that Sugou has Asuna and the rest trapped, certainly not enough evidence to justify kidnapping and torture. And you rather overestimate the number of close SAO friends he has. The list is mainly Asuna, Klein, Agil, Lizabeth, and Silica. Not the greatest list of help for staging a kidnapping.

Quote:
It isn't even clear what he can do even if he does manage to reach the cage. She will still be trapped in a somnolent state unable to log out from the game.

Confirming Asuna is there vastly opens up his options as far as freeing Asuna. Right now, no one knows why Asuna and the rest didn't awaken. Confirming that at least one of them is stuck in ALO would enable Kirito to do something about it. If Asuna's father won't listen, the government folks Kirito negotiated with likely will.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
A more amusing twist would be for Kirito to dump Asuna for Recon Rolling Eyes I'd love to see the otaku rage at that one... ah, but then they'd put Asuna x Suzuha, right?

Forgot to add last night: This has already been done. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

spoiler[Kirito learning about Spriggans and powers.
These fairy characters do have interesting magic powers.
Leafa & Kirito vs Salamanders.
Kirito's illusion magic was just wow!
Looks like other problems have arisen for Leafa and her kind.]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Although...

And I think the show has just outdone itself with lame superabilities granted to Kirito.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Although...

Heh, figured I couldn't be the only one to note that Kirito seemed to be asking what her breasts were in that pic. Very Happy
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that, for the most part, this episode was ok, and certainly better than the previous one. The wish-fulfillment aspect was tempered by at least some restraints on Kirito-stu. I'm glad he simply cannot hack his way through anything. spoiler[I was kind of amused enough by the resurrection of Bright Eyes (well not exactly) to really complain about the high-grade illusion pulled out of his ass when just moments before he couldn't even memorize simple illusion spells.] Lots of unnecessary Leefa fanservice and flirting, but what else is new. Glad they are at least trying to bring back the action/adventure, but too little too late in my opinion.
Key wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
A more amusing twist would be for Kirito to dump Asuna for Recon Rolling Eyes I'd love to see the otaku rage at that one... ah, but then they'd put Asuna x Suzuha, right?

Forgot to add last night: This has already been done. Wink

I'm sure they have. Twisted Evil

I'm sure that we'll even see Agil x Kirito doujinshi at some point; what I wouldn't pay to troll /a/ with images of such. Now *that* would provide hours of entertainment!

Last edited by dragon695 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Concerning dragon695's spoilered comment:

spoiler[The spell wasn't pulled out of his ass, it was given to him by Yui, who has at least some access to the Cardinal system running the game. To me the only major issue with it is that it kind of stretches, no outright breaks, the bounds of what I'd consider "illusion" magic since it was clear that Kirito not only looked like the monster, but was fully transformed, and thus possessed advantages such as a greater reach and and the ability to eat other players. The amusing aftermath of Kirito's little snack was enough to make me somewhat forgive the show though.]

[EDIT: Added above note, as otherwise there's no way to tell what this spoiler pertains to without looking at it. - Key]
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
spoiler[The spell wasn't pulled out of his ass, it was given to him by Yui, who has at least some access to the Cardinal system running the game. To me the only major issue with it is that it kind of stretches, no outright breaks, the bounds of what I'd consider "illusion" magic since it was clear that Kirito not only looked like the monster, but was fully transformed, and thus possessed advantages such as a greater reach and and the ability to eat other players. The amusing aftermath of Kirito's little snack was enough to make me somewhat forgive the show though.]

Ah, that explains it, even if not satisfying. I must have missed that, I thought spoiler[Yui was only telling Kirito what to do. Well, like I said, son of Bright Eyes and the aftermath] was amusing enough that I wasn't really paying attention.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Although...

Heh, figured I couldn't be the only one to note that Kirito seemed to be asking what her breasts were in that pic. Very Happy

haha yup, you guys aren't alone. I laughed when I saw that. I've just accepted that I'm going to be staring at Sugu/Leafa's breasts for the rest of this anime. Once you accept that you can just sit back and enjoy.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
spoiler[I was kind of amused enough by the resurrection of Bright Eyes (well not exactly) to really complain about the high-grade illusion pulled out of his ass when just moments before he couldn't even memorize simple illusion spells.]

Not exactly. spoiler[It's actually just a spell that makes the player look like a monster. The outcome is random and based on the player's combat skills. The usual result being some weak monster that won't scare anyone. Kirito, with his hax combat stats, gets a powerful demon instead of a weak critter.]
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
spoiler[I was kind of amused enough by the resurrection of Bright Eyes (well not exactly) to really complain about the high-grade illusion pulled out of his ass when just moments before he couldn't even memorize simple illusion spells.]

Not exactly. spoiler[It's actually just a spell that makes the player look like a monster. The outcome is random and based on the player's combat skills. The usual result being some weak monster that won't scare anyone. Kirito, with his hax combat stats, gets a powerful demon instead of a weak critter.]

Now see, this is where I get annoyed. I feel like the show always pushes game mechanics to the side or treats it as an afterthought. I totally missed the explanation for this one. I'm not going to go back and watch, but was it even detailed that much? Like, you know, they could have devoted a little less time focusing on the flirting with little sis and maybe spent a few minutes where spoiler[maybe Leefa taught Kirito the spell or told him how it worked?] Just throw me little bones like this to show me he is human, you know? I mean for cripe's sake, this is his first time playing this game.

Last edited by dragon695 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure GrayArchon's explanation comes from the light novels, unless I missed a huge chunk of the show somehow. (And thus you should flag it as light novel spoilers GrayArchon, even though it deals with game mechanics and involves stuff in an episode we already have seen, some people would rather not know anything about the novels)
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
a lot of games have illusion magic be more like conjuring in effects to balance out the mage types.

if you illusion to be a monster, you'll have some of its base stats but your stats will come into play. as well as the others rolls against believing the illusions real. which if failed means the monster can do damage.

the player may know its illusion magic but the failed save against has the character suffering the consequences. also the higher the spell level and the casters stats are, the greater the chance the opponent will fail the save roll.

it may be unlikely that 12 players all failed the saves against but it only takes a few failing to bust through the defense and if at every kill by the monster a new roll against happens with increased penalties to believe the illusions real they may all have failed to save.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

How is that not awesome, Kirito was able to use spoiler[Illusion magic to make him turn into the 74th boss, The Gleam Eyes, this was the boss that made Kirito and Asuna run scared. I wonder if he leveled it he might get the sword also.] So much for Spriggans being useless, although a bit of it was Yui's strategy of spoiler[making the transformation look convinving, perhaps also a skill of Yui design in human nature.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 128 of 274