• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Less than an hour left, let's see how things stand.

Try two hours left. And I'd really prefer not to see vote totals posted this late into a round, as it too easily opens up the possibility of vote manipulation (i.e., voting a specific way to achieve a desired outcome rather than voting your honest evaluation). That's why I always use more vague language about where things stand at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Haven't seen either, but going with Tsume on account of him taking a subordinate position, which I assume requires a considerable degree of restraint and swallowing of pride.

Your assumption is indeed correct!

You've got an hour to elaborate and convince me to change.

Edit: I misread "correct" as "incorrect". Nevermind.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, it's 11 on the boards and 12 EST, not 11 EST.

And when there's something as close as this match is, I like to see it tallied and it's not exactly hard to do. Plus I've always figured that it was good to know what the close matches were, for people who may want to doublecheck that they've voted for the right character. I know I've gone back and re-read arguments when there was a close match-up between characters I didn't know. Sure, the potential for nefarious voting exists but there's also the chance to know changing your mind is meaningful.

And I do not want to convince you to change, Dorcas_Aurelia, since Tsume is who I'm supporting in that match-up.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
A little earlier this week.

Group D-17
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Chagum, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Seen both. Chagum didn't need to change very much, and he didn't. Simon changed multiple times during the show, some good, some not so good and rather idiotic. I thnk his acceptance of Nia's death and decision not to abuse his spiral power to bring her back as well as passing the leadership torch to some one far more capable of the job best shows how much he finally developed, so Simon gets my vote

Group D-18
Rue, Princess Tutu
vs.
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero

Still have no idea how Waver beat Vegeta. Sure, Goldie let him live, but I have absolutely no doubt it was simply an excuse so he wouldn't have to waste time, energy and another precious weapon on someone. simply put, Waver wasn't worth his time, or at least that's what I believe. Anyway, based on discussions, I feel that Rue is the person to vote for

Group D-19
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

Haven's seen Wolf's Rain., but I have seen all of Sailor Moon. changing from an obnoxious, whiny child to a competent ruler is hard to beat. My vote goes to Serena/Usagi

Group D-20
Saber, Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero
vs.
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish[/quote]

Tsukimi certainly goes through some pretty big changes, but she is up against the King of Knights. The fact that she even changed her way of thinking and personal goals is quite an achievement. So Saber gets my vote
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Chagum, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Simon goes from a scaredy cat who hides behind his aniki to being savior of the galaxy. He also picked up some of his aniki's traits throughout his character's growth.

My vote goes to: Simon.

Group D-18
Rue, Princess Tutu
vs.
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero

Rue's tournament bio is enough to persuade me to vote for her. It sounds like she has had it rough. But as the series progressed, she improves from antagonist to a likeable character.

My vote goes to: Rue.

Group D-19
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

I have only seen Wolf's Rain in its entirety. It is hard to vote here but it is what it is.

Tsume's grows out of his lone wolf (heh, lone wolf) approach into a member of the wolf pack. It mostly stems from his belief of that you are the only one that watches out for your best interest. Every one else is in it for themselves.

Throughout the series, he sees the warmth of being in the pack. By the end of the series, he ditches his previous approach and does everything for the good of the pack.

My vote goes to: Tsume.

Group D-20
Saber, Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero
vs.
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish

Saber sure has gone through a few personality changes from Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night. From the arguments, I see that Saber is a complex character from having different characters. It is from that she gains valuable experience allowing her to choose her own path.

My vote goes to: Saber.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well the deadline has passed and we officially have our first tie!

2. Advancement is determined by receiving a plurality of votes in a given match-up. In the event of a tie, all tying participants advance.

How does both of them advancing work?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group D is now closed.

Only 18 votes in this time, and that results in our first tie of this tournament:

D-17: Simon pierces the heavens against Chagum, 15-3.
D-18: Rue dances around Waver Velvet, 14-4.
D-19: Tsume and Usagi deadlock at 9-9.
D-20: Saber goes Excalibur on Tsukimi, 15-3.

D-19 was the most consistently competitive match to date; beyond 2-0, the competitors were never separated by more than one vote. None of the other matches was ever in question in the slightest.

Excluding the tie, I was 3/3, so this was a good week for me on minigame. Sadly, I doubt I caught up much on anyone.

POWER RANKINGS
Here are the remaining 17 competitors, ranked in order of highest % of possible votes. Notably, not a single one participated in the first round.

1. Fakir, 0.925
2. Youko, 0.906977
3. Scar, 0.863636
4. Saber, 0.85
5. Chihiro, 0.818182
6. Shoukei, 0.818182
7. Simon, 0.8
8. Rue, 0.775
9. Kyoko, 0.772727
10. Sawako, 0.675
11. Taichi, 0.675
12. Hikaru Shindou, 0.651163
13. Kenshin, 0.651163
14. Daikichi, 0.65
15. Usagi/Sailor Moon, 0.6
16. Kimihiro, 0.581395
17. Tsume, 0.575

Very little for surprises here, at least for me.

Next round should be up in a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Groups A and B semifinals is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Now we start combining rounds, since we’re otherwise just down to two matches each week, and that’s boring. The power match-up this week looks to be in B-24, where arguably the second and third-strongest contenders in this mix are facing off. Will that match-up make Group B’s final in a couple of weeks an afterthought? I’m also looking forward to seeing how people argue A-24, as there seems to be a lot of overlap between those two contestants in terms of ardent supporters.

And to answer the question raised about the ties: both of the D-19 contestants advance to face off again as part of a three-way next round with Saber in the mix. (And boy, that sounds like a cross-over hentai doujinshi description if I ever heard one, especially since Usagi and Saber are both frequent doujin fodder. . .)

Group A-23
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke – From Me to You

Group A-24
Taichi Mashima, Chihiyafuru
vs.
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop

--------------------------------------------------

Group B-23
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!

Group B-24
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
So for Round 3 only Group A and Group D agreed with my mini-game picks. But I'm really happy that both Rue and Usagi moved on.

Really excited for the next round. I've got some new arguments to make for a bunch of the matches because of what I've watched recently and I'm excited to use them. This week will be pretty busy for me so I'll probably not vote until after the weekend.

(I actually freaked out with one episode of one show because it directly addressed some issues that other's had with the character.)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Point of clarification. These tournaments don't, as a rule, cover currently running series. Does that mean we can only consider Taichi's improvement over the first season of Chihayafuru?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's a rule, it's just that currently airing stuff might be seen as weaker contenders since any improving going on would be incomplete.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Some people have brought up the second season in the past as determining their voting, and I have some big points to make about the most recent episode, but I'm not the most familiar with how the tournaments work.

But we did have some characters from long running series nominated...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
This is probably the most accurate single round for the minigame ever. 3 of them were within 4% of the actual result, and the other was just under 8% different.

Key wrote:
Excluding the tie, I was 3/3, so this was a good week for me on minigame. Sadly, I doubt I caught up much on anyone.

Wah wah wah, I'm Key and I'm only in fifth place. And I got a perfect score this round, but I expect everyone ahead of me did, too. Boohoo.

Actually, farichada missed one, so the three people in second place are only 1 point behind, and you're just 5 behind.

Results will be up some time tomorrow evening, because tie's are a pain in the butt to score on account of I have to do some extra work in my spreadsheet.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
So how is this going to work? Is there going to be a 3 way battle for one spot next week?

I don't think the 2nd season should be included for Chihayafuru. I find it unfair if a contender gets more weapons has the tournament is going on.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
Group A-23
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke – From Me to You

It’s the easiest choice. Sawako may be a bit shy at the beginning, but she is a likeable person. The people around her simply have a false impression of her an that’s why she is lonely and people are afraid of her. Fakir, on the other hand, is unlikeable and overcomes greater problems than Sawako’s astonishing inability to comprehend that Kazehaya does really like her.

Group A-24
Taichi Mashima, Chihiyafuru
vs.
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop

I have decided to vote for Taichi Mashima. Since I had only seen the first episode of each series, I was unsure which one to choose. Taichi Mashima doesn't impress me, but it seems he is a better option than Daikichi who doesn't improve, but only adjusts himself to parenthood.
--------------------------------------------------

Group B-23
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!

Kyoko Mogami
I don’t think Chihiro is a bratty character at the beginning. She just behaves like a child. Kyoko Mogami’s improvement is the better one here.

Group B-24
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms

Another easy choice. Scar may have changed a lot, but he is a pretty generic revenge-seeker. He doesn’t develop a fascinating alter ego like Edmond Dantès who creates The Count of Monte Cristo. There is no interesting spin to his story, as, for example, to Tabuki’s story from Mawaru Penguindrum who starts knowing all the things that a generic revenge-seeker would need to realize in the course of a series, and yet is unable to stop himself from pursuing revenge, which is a nice way of showing how deeply affected he has been by Momoka’s death.
Besides, Shoukei also changes a lot and I find her development and story more memorable than Scar’s.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:12 am; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 76