• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liking two characters ironically having the same voice actor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of another Japanese VA that's really good and has two wildly different popular roles under her belt.

Ai Orikasa, voice actress for Quatre Rababa Winner (Gundam Wing) and Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo). Wacky, huh?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:12 pm Reply with quote
she's been mentioned before, but Junko Iwao. Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura. Compared to her other roles *ex. Ceres - Ayashi no Ceres, Devilman Lady - Devil Lady, Tomoe - Kenshin Ova* I find that pretty freaky.
ayamacha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I like Tomokazu Seki (even though he scares me a little bit). I like how he did Van, Kyo, Shinbo, Ken, and Kamui (Escaflowne, Fruits Basket, Chobits, Weiß Kreuz, and X/1999). But when he did Shinbo, his voice sounded a little...umm...high pitched.

I also like Shinichiro Miki (heh...i'm going for the Weiss seiyuus). I like how he did Allen and Youji (Escaflowne and Weiß Kreuz).

Now for the American voice actors:

I like a lot the characters done by David Lucas.

And then there's Crispin Freeman Smile I love how he did Hideki from Chobits and Alucard from Hellsing. Two completely different characters O_o

I also like Melissa Fahn. She did the voice of Ed from Bebop and the voice of Ruki (Rika) from Digimon. Ed is kind of...hyper I guess and Ruki is rebellious. I think she also does the voice of Kitty from Hello Kitty...but i'm not sure...
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:54 pm Reply with quote
A personal favorite of mine Minami Takayama, who is mainly known for Nabiki Tendo from Ranma. She was really impressive in Kiki's Delivery Service by playing both Kiki and Ursula, which I thought ,at first viewing, were two different actresses. She also seems to be able to do psychotic teenage boys (Dilandu Albatou from Escaflowne) as well as not so psycotic adolescent boys (Prince Chid from...Escaflowne). She's not that bad of singer too, so that's a plus.

Not to many American VA since dubs are not my usual preferences. I do have to give some props to Veronica Taylor who plays Yukino from His and Her Circumstances. It still freakin blows my mind that she's also the voice of bloody Ash Ketchum. She's also supposed to play the voice of a new female main character opposite of Ash in the upcoming season. How wierd is that?

Oh yeah. Tara Strong. Anyone who can pull off playing Raven from the Teen Titans and Bubbles from the Power Puff girls should earn soom respect.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I first heard of Akira Kamiya when he played mad scientist Kyusaku Natsume from Nuku Nuku, so I was pretty shocked when he also played Lodos War (OAV) badass Ashram. He also played Roy Fokker/Focker. How cool is that?

Another American: Saffron Henderson = Lucrezia Noin = Hamtaro. Nuff Said
MissKaoru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:27 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
most dubs have the same people in them. there are a lot more Japanese VAs than English ones.

do i have to know all japanese in order to be a voice actress for a anime? i'm only in my second year of japanese class in my school. I hope i dont have to know it. That will totally suck. Sad
MissKaoru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:34 am Reply with quote
yea i see what you mean. I think the voice for Sano (Rurouni Kenshin) Is also the same voice for Crim (.hack//SIGN) The thing is, I totally love them both. Anime smallmouth Very Happy
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:38 am Reply with quote
The Japanese voice of Gatsu from berserk happened to be the voice of Mido Ban from Getbackers.

I wondered why I liked both characters Laughing

also crispin freeman is the voice of fuma of X.
when he spoke normally I didn't recognize it but when he changed to be the twin star of kamui. bingo*

he's also the voice of a guy in witch hunter robin isn't he?
Wootang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:12 am Reply with quote
MissKaoru wrote:
I think the voice for Sano (Rurouni Kenshin) Is also the same voice for Crim (.hack//SIGN) The thing is, I totally love them both.

That would be Lex Lang. He was also the voice of Cain in Nightwalker which was different from his usual voices. Probably because he used an accent. Wink In my opinion, his voice is one of the easier ones to locate. Currently, he's Shun Aurora on Heat Guy J and I think I've caught his voice on several background characters too. He's quite prolific, I guess you could say.

I have to say there is one other American VA that I enjoy hearing; Johnny Yong Bosch. He was the voice of Vash the Stampede, Kaneda from Akira and is also the voice of Claire Leonelli in Heat Guy J. HUGE difference in characters there and he does nothing but creep me out as Clair. *shudders* But in a good way, obviously. *peruses the encyclopedia* And I noticed he'll be the voice of Klaus in Last Exile so that's exciting. At least for me it is. Embarassed
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I just thought of another Japanese VA that's really good and has two wildly different popular roles under her belt.

Ai Orikasa, voice actress for Quatre Rababa Winner (Gundam Wing) and Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo). Wacky, huh?

Quatre and Ryoko are awsome dude, it's wacky, but, L337 at the same time! Anime smallmouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kamiya Akira aka "the screamer" is perhaps best known for his portrayal as the "stud of Shinjiku" Saeba Ryo, from Tsukasa Hojo's excellent manga City Hunter! Very Happy When interviewed at AnimExpo in '97 he commented that he enjoyed the most his work as Ryo from City Hunter. And who could disagree? Kamiya blended Ryo's qualities flawlessly as the manly, sensitive yet sauve, and the silly eechi, "Mokkori" lover, all into one handsome package! I should also note, Kamiya also screams a lot as Ryo whenever he runs in abject terror from Kaori's 100+ ton hammers, mallets, maces, etc and when he is forced onto a plane. Ryo has a profound fear of flying. Wink

Kamiya also contributed greatly to the animated version of Takahashi's classic manga series, Urusei Yatsura! For those old enough to remember UY when it was televised, kudos for you... ahh the nostalgia. Anyways, in UY Kamiya earned the nickname "the screamer" as the voice of Shuutaro Mendou. Mendou has an acute fear of the darkness and cramped places. Whenever he finds himself in situations like these, you can tell he is having a blast when he shouts, "Waan!...Kurai yo! Semai yo! Kowai yo!!" translation: (Waa!...It's dark! It's cramped! I'm scared!!)" Anime exclamation

A fantastic site created by a talented friend Mason Proulx is Tomobiki-cho! http://www.furinkan.com/tomobiki/uy/ It's definately worth a look, regardless if you are an old fan or new to the series. I have personally witnessed the seven reincarnations and Mason just keeps on making it better than before. Cool Filled with useful UY trivia information and a great source of information on the beloved mangaka, Takahashi Rumiko.

Kamiya also contributed to another animated version of a Takahashi manga classic, Maison Ikkoku! A decent introductory site for the series can be found at http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~leon/mi/ Here Kamiya played the playboy tennis coach Mitaka Shun, who also competes for the love of young widow, Otonashi Kyoko. Oddly enough Mitaka also screams and/or faints when he encounters or all things, dogs. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Poor pretty boys, Mitaka and Shuutaro... the talented Kamiya really brought out their pain. I almost felt sorry for them, well almost.

Another work Kamiya contributed to is a widely forgotten but IMO great three part OVA series called Dangaioh! A good article written by Emru Townsend on Dangaioh can be found at http://purpleplanetmedia.com/eye/film/dangaio.shtml With innovative character designs by the talented creator, Toshihiro Hirano (creator of Iczer-1, Iczer 3, Doll and Iczelion) and IMO revolutionary mecha designs contributed by the (then green) team of Shoiji Kawamori, Yasushi Ishizu, Masami Obari, and Kouichi Ohata! Kamiya provided the interesting split-personality voices of Roll Kran, the lone male member and default leader of the Dangaioh team. During one panel interview at AnimExpo '97 he commented that long ago you use to have to loudly announce a characters attack -before- launching it. He was referring to his work on Dangaioh and thought it was rather silly to announce the attack, thereby warning the enemy. Anime dazed

Oh and how could I possibly forget Kamiya's timeless work as Kenshiro from the Fist of the North Star! His battle cries as Kenshiro still echo in my ears. Pretty darn hard to forget once you hear it blasting away on the public announcement system in school and in the anime club. Shocked

Lastly, here is an interesting EX article about Kamiya http://www.ex.org/2.5/08-feature_kamiya.html which IMO reenforces my belief that he is one of the greatest Japanese voice actors ever! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3