• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Vs New Gap - Close the Gap, open the Gates

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Anime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime has been around longer than most "trendy", semi, or hardcore fans would care to acknowledge. On the flip side, there are many rooted fans that refuse to explore anything new. Always go in with little to no preference or expectations when exploring Anime because you never know what you might be missing.

If you're into Old School Anime; What is a watch-worthy title and what newer title have you been curious about?

AND / OR

If you're only into New School Anime; What is a watch-worthy title and what older title have you been curious about?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing. Whenever anybody starts comparing modern times to the past, it's a bit unfair. I might believe in my heart of hearts that music from the 60's is better than music now (I hate autotune for example) but the thing I have to force myself to remember is that the only 60's music I'm familiar with is the music that's stood the test of time. I remember the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc. I don't remember the hundreds or thousands of suck-ass groups because nobody plays them anymore. Whereas when I think of the music of today, I don't think of the cream of the crop, I think of the vast sea of ear garbage that I have to sort through to find something I really like.

That said, What's your definition of Old School? Anything before 2000? Or are you going by style? Are you counting movies or do you want series?

And what's your definition of new anime? Anything after 2000? Or the last ten years? Five years? Where do shows in the early 2000s - which is the camp most of the older anime I watch - belong? Death Note, Phantom: Requiem, etc.

But I'll play conservative and try to match two that I think make good soul mates.

Old School: Serial Experiments Lain

New School: Sonny Boy
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:50 am Reply with quote
Lupin the Third, Captain Harlock, Rose of Versailles, Future Boy Conan, the original Macross, Urusei Yatsura, and the Specs Runaway Ideon film: Be Invoked.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
For me, it’s never about when the series was made, it’s about if it’s to my taste or not.

Shoujosei (especially shoujosei fantasies) and iyashikei, as well as some emotionally charged series like Tsurune, all are good in my book. The original Cardcaptor Sakura sits right up there with the newest Pretty Cure for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1