• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Apothecary Diaries

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if his relationship with Maomao's mother was consensual, there's something underhanded and unpleasant about the man, and I really don't want him near Maomao – or knowing Jinshi's true identity. He seems like someone who would use knowledge as a weapon without caring about the consequences.

Almost everyone who knows Lakan seems to share the sentiment of keeping him away from Maomao!

I think he does know at least half of Jinshi's identity. And by alluding to the fact he knows (several times) he goes beyond "seeming like" to explicitly threatening to use that knowledge as a weapon in order to get what he wants with Maomao. This obviously puts Jinshi in a very difficult position. He distrusts Lakan immensely, and cares deeply for Maomao... but his secrets are of the life-threatening variety because they could destabilise the whole regime. It's going to take all of his skill as a politician and then some to protect both himself and her here.

From next week's trailer it looks like a few things might come to a head.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But is Maomao's mother also the woman in the annex dying of syphilis? ...since we know she played go, we can guess that she was quite high-ranking at one point. ...it feels very likely that the two women are the same.

Since she was apparently trying to lay out a go board with her pebbles, I think it's more than very likely. Smile I had actually forgotten that we knew that about her, but when I saw what she was doing, I kept wanting Maomao to move a stone to see if she would try to play, or be upset that she disrupted the pattern she was building. Hmm, that came out more cruelly than I intended - what I wanted was to be spoon-fed a small confirmation that it was a go board she was imagining and not just laying out pretty stones (and that Maomao recognized what she was doing).
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I find Lakan to be such a fascinating character. Both for himself and for how people react to him.
The Point of view from which we experience a story maters so much.
Lakan is odd and awkward in ways that are very similar too Maomao, but because we see him from the outside and in apparent opposition to our viewpoint characters what is endearing in her is off putting in him.

The mysteries of her family are beginning to come to light.

How will this audience react if the things we thought we knew turn out to not be so?

Wink
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The single frame of Maomao's face at about the eighteen-minute mark shows that she agrees.

I was expecting that to be the thumbnail for this episode’s review
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Lots of info for Jinshi to process here. It seems he might be starting to put together who her adoptive father is, but he's still fairly in the dark about what Lakan is up to.

I hope explains himself at least a little, because that's a pretty awful question to directly ask someone who grew up with courtesans as adoptive sisters. It's not exactly his fault (though he really doesn't help himself) that Maomao has already jumped to an entirely incorrect assumption as to the purpose of this trip (she really is always ready to assume the worst of him isn't she?), but his timing there was terrible. I wouldn't be surprised however if that wasn't the half the purpose of Lakan indirectly suggesting to him that he ask Maomao about it.

We should cut him a little slack though, because quite a bit of his processing capacity is taken up by the fact he's on a not-date with Maomao while she's looking like that, and that she bought him skewers, and did that adorable grin thing. The guy has it pretty tough.

Dealing with cute Maomao all dressed up would tax the resources of most people even if they aren't already in love with her. Wink

Add to that that he has never had to actually court a girl before. Mostly it's been smile and dodge. Maomao is interesting precisely because her brain doesn't completely short out when he turns the bishi-sparkle power on but it also means he has no clue what to do.
It doesn't help that he really wants her to want him and the power and status differential is so big that anything but her initiating would be massively coercive.

From her side I suspect that putting the "worst" interpretation on his behavior is one part her general cynicism about human, especially male, nature and one part protective so she doesn't accidentally fall in love with him.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:

I was expecting that to be the thumbnail for this episode’s review

It was a near thing. Very Happy
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Rebecca's review and some of the comments here, I think I'm piecing together the timeline:

- Lakan gets Maomao's mother pregnant, reducing her value as a courtesan (but then he doesn't follow through on purchasing her bond? She remains a courtesan? Wasn't that why he wanted to take her value down?)

- Maomao is born. Jinshi is born around this time, too, since they're putatively the same age? Maybe Jinshi is older? The timing of Jinshi's birth theoretically relates to Maomao's adoptive father Lumen being dismissed from the inner court and exiled to the pleasure district.

- Sometime after this, Maomao's mother, forced to take a lower class of customers (ones who don't play go or chess with her, but take her to bed), gets syphilis. Some time after that she is confined --- rather generous of the Old Madam, really, as Maomao notes.

- After this Luomen becomes consulting physician to Verdigris House, and adopts Maomao. This is probably when he learns about Maomao's mother's illness, and begins treating it, but it is too late to halt the progress of the disease.

Last edited by dm on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Thanks to Rebecca's review and some of the comments here, I think I'm piecing together the timeline:

- Lakan gets Maomao's mother pregnant, reducing her value as a courtesan (but then he doesn't follow through on purchasing her bond? She remains a courtesan? Wasn't that why he wanted to take her value down?)

- Maomao is born. Jinshi is born around this time, too, since they're putatively the same age? Maybe Jinshi is older? The timing of Jinshi's birth theoretically relates to Maomao's adoptive father Lumen being dismissed from the inner court and exiled to the pleasure district.

- The Maomao's mother, forced to take a lower class of customers (ones who don't play chess or go with her, but take her to bed), gets syphilis. Some time after that she is confined --- rather generous of the Old Madam, really.

- Some time later Luomen becomes consulting physician to Verdigris House, and adopts Maomao. This is probably when he learns about Maomao's mother's illness, and begins treating it.

Based on Maomao's comments, Luomen joined Verdigris around the time Maomao's mother contracted syphilis since she talks about how if he knew he could have treated her. He wasn't trusted at first and her mother hid the symptoms until they became too much to ignore, which by then the disease had advanced so far that it was not especially treatable outside what she's receiving now.
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
(Not a novel reader, yet.)
Any thoughts on the importance of planting morning glory? I assume, because Suimei asks how good an apothecary Maomao is, that she's giving her a medicinal clue. But what?
After a little googling, there was nothing that stood out to me in the medicinal uses. The only thing I found is that the seeds of some species of morning glory contain alkaloids with psychedelic properties. But that's only some species, so not sure that it would be known in fictional China, and only in large quantities. So it doesn't seem a lethal poison. Why would Surimei want to give someone an LSD trip?
And why tell Maomao about it before hand? Maybe she's being forced to do whatever she's doing and is trying to stop it?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Since she was apparently trying to lay out a go board with her pebbles, I think it's more than very likely. Smile I had actually forgotten that we knew that about her, but when I saw what she was doing, I kept wanting Maomao to move a stone to see if she would try to play, or be upset that she disrupted the pattern she was building. Hmm, that came out more cruelly than I intended - what I wanted was to be spoon-fed a small confirmation that it was a go board she was imagining and not just laying out pretty stones (and that Maomao recognized what she was doing).

You know, now I’m wondering if she’s laying the stones out in an actual, viable position. Did they consult a go expert for that shot? Is there anything of particular interest about the opening she’s setting up?

dm wrote:
Lakan gets Maomao's mother pregnant, reducing her value as a courtesan (but then he doesn't follow through on purchasing her bond? She remains a courtesan? Wasn't that why he wanted to take her value down?)

Huh, good question.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I'm guessing the Madam wouldn't let him buy her out? We established that she's been refusing to let him buy out Maomao so that's presumably within her power.

I'm a little curious if Maomao knows Lakan is her biological father. That's my interpretation of her reaction to Jinshi at the end, but it could also be a reaction to the creepy guy who's been trying to buy her for years.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

dm wrote:
Lakan gets Maomao's mother pregnant, reducing her value as a courtesan (but then he doesn't follow through on purchasing her bond? She remains a courtesan? Wasn't that why he wanted to take her value down?)

Huh, good question.

The very best question Twisted Evil
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

- Sometime after this, Maomao's mother, forced to take a lower class of customers (ones who don't play go or chess with her, but take her to bed), gets syphilis. Some time after that she is confined --- rather generous of the Old Madam, really, as Maomao notes.

- After this Luomen becomes consulting physician to Verdigris House, and adopts Maomao. This is probably when he learns about Maomao's mother's illness, and begins treating it, but it is too late to halt the progress of the disease.

Jinshi is about a year older than MaoMao.

And another good question for you:

- Why MaoMaos mother did not go for abortion? Courtesans clearly have the means to do it on early pregnancy stages and, as we saw this episode, she was not especially sentimental about her child. She knew it will ruin her "carrier". Was she actually hoping Lakan would buy her despite what the story tries to show now?

Last edited by Nachtwandler on Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ICO44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
dm wrote:

I'm guessing the Madam wouldn't let him buy her out? We established that she's been refusing to let him buy out Maomao so that's presumably within her power.

I'm a little curious if Maomao knows Lakan is her biological father. That's my interpretation of her reaction to Jinshi at the end, but it could also be a reaction to the creepy guy who's been trying to buy her for years.

She knows....She said" "so, he found out"
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I think that Maomao's insistence that she is a commoner is part of her denial of Lanken as her father. Lanken is both a noble and holds a high position in the government. His acknowledgement of her as his daughter makes her a noble in spite of her denials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 30