• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers: Tenjiku Arc Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kisaki basically being an incel was kind of hilarious. He definitely deserved that visit from spoiler[truck-kun].
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Kisaki basically being an incel was kind of hilarious. He definitely deserved that visit from spoiler[truck-kun].

spoiler[Incel Kisaki was so funny I lost it completely. And the truck to top it all off! Anyway rip to him, imagine being jealous of Takemichi, that's so sad]
Eddy2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The very second Kisaki's true motivations were revealed, it practically killed the whole series for me. Of all the motivations you could've come up with for your big bad, it had to be THAT of all things? Bullshit… may or may not stick around for the next and/or last season.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't deny this season had the same writing issues as the past few (and the ending was really underwhelming) yet all the same I can't help but enjoy the emotional (and sometimes ridiculous) highs and stories of the cast.

Honestly Kisaki's motivation and end were about perfect for me and on-brand for the show...
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:44 am Reply with quote
I actually think that the reuse of the 2nd OP is a negative for the series because I think its such a missed opportunity for HigeDandism to produce another banger OP for this series. It was one of the main things I was looking forward to following this season & I was sorely disappointed when it was just White Noise yet again... I dont know if I'll still be watching the next season (if theres gonna be one) but I'll most probably stick around since I think we're nearing the end anyways.
Eddy2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:52 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Honestly Kisaki's motivation and end were about perfect for me and on-brand for the show...

What? How? How can you take that clown seriously after seeing the last episode and thinking back on everything he's done up to now? They could've EASILY made the reason why Hina keeps dying is purely because Kisaki knows it's the one thing that will always draw Takemichi out, but NOOOOOOOOOOO. spoiler[They just had to make him an incel, when, as far as I'm aware, there was never even a single hint that Kisaki liked Hina at all, let alone other women, not even when it was revealed those 2 went to the same school as kids. Since when did they start dating anyway? Hina never mentioned shit about that either.]

In other words, it's forced as horseshit, and even if it wasn't and I just missed something, it's still terrible writing for a villain like Kisaki to go down like this…
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I looooved Kisaki’s motives. It indeed does reduce him to spoiler[a pathetic incel] and it’s great. Kisaki was never supposed to be cool. He was barely supposed to be scary. He was threatening for how organized he was to ruin Toman. Take all of that away and he’s a wimbly nerd on Takemichi’s level.

And to me giving him that motive was what made him 100% click as Takemichi’s foil. spoiler[Takemichi was a character who started in arrested development. He even outright said that middle school was the highlight of his life. Kisaki, who had/has the tools to succeed was stuck on his elementary school crush way into his 20s. He effectively ruined his and many other lives because he could grow up. So as Takemichi grew Kisaki stayed the same. Forever chasing some pre-prepubescent fantasy.]
Eddy2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am Reply with quote
MetalHunter wrote:
I looooved Kisaki’s motives. It indeed does reduce him to spoiler[a pathetic incel] and it’s great. Kisaki was never supposed to be cool. He was barely supposed to be scary. He was threatening for how organized he was to ruin Toman. Take all of that away and he’s a wimbly nerd on Takemichi’s level.

And to me giving him that motive was what made him 100% click as Takemichi’s foil. spoiler[Takemichi was a character who started in arrested development. He even outright said that middle school was the highlight of his life. Kisaki, who had/has the tools to succeed was stuck on his elementary school crush way into his 20s. He effectively ruined his and many other lives because he could grow up. So as Takemichi grew Kisaki stayed the same. Forever chasing some pre-prepubescent fantasy.]

I understand now that Kisaki chasing after Takemichi or whatever makes sense, but Kisaki spoiler[crushing on Hina] was still completely unnecessary and comes out of nowhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1