• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ to Stream Nearly All Macross Anime Worldwide in 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megazone 23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Megazone 23 wrote:
I have major reservations about this. So did this streaming deal with Disney include Big West being able to releases physical copies of their shows in America without Disney's O.K, or is physical medial distribution part of the deal? Which is a concern in and of itself.A possible issue is Disney is farming out its physical media to Sony. Sony owns Crunchy Roll and it seems either two things happened either Big West did not approach Sony to stream Macross or they did and economically it was not favorable for Big west. i also concerned about dubs and lack of enthusiasm for a 4k uhd release for these shows outside of japan. Not a good day.
Literally almost all these titles have already been announced for physical media releases by Nozomi, Anime Limited, and Animeigo.

Yes, you are correct that the following had been announced for a physical release Macross 7, Encore and Delta by Right Stuff/ Nozomi not sure if this included the movies and OVA’s? This announcement was in July of 2023 at the since that announcement Right stuff is no more it is now Crunchyroll/Sony. Now what is exactly the status of Nozomi. I am a backer for the Dirty Pair Kickstarter the announcements are made by Judy who I believe is Judy Albert who was/is a long-time employee of what was Right Stuff and Nozomi. Since the 2023 statement here has been no mention of any progress on Macross 7, Encore and Delta not even a 'hey we need to finish this Dirty pair Kickstarter then we will begin the work on the Macross projects.'.

Macross plus the movie version was also announced to get a releases By Anime Limited since then no announcement / update expect it has been in theaters overseas. Yes their was the old streamline release.

The only real progress has been with Macross: Lovers again getting a 4k uhd as of now the only Macross to get a 4k release via a Kickstarter by AnimEigo. I backed that as well.
As for original Macross we have the older dvd’s by AnimEigo and ADV who did a Dub it. No word on Love do you remember (unless you want to count Clash of the Bionoids ) or Flashback 20212 or the other Macross shows. So, I do have reservations. If, I get proven wrong great but I believe that most of the initial announced projects are dead in the water.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I mean we are dealing with three shows where Macross 7 is 49 episodes long and Frontier and Delta combined are another 50 something episodes and they are producing a remaster and subtiitle translation entirely from scratch. Compare this with Nozomi's release of Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny which were first announced back in 2017 and wasn't released until 2020 which was three years later after it's announced. I don't know why Macross fans are that shocked TV shows take a long time and hard effort to put out a quality product.
Kirben

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:10 pm Reply with quote
New releases can take time to produce, but the lack of any updates from Nozomi Entertainment in general is worrying. We are still waiting for SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors too, which is over 1.5 years since announcement, with no updates since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rob J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I mean we are dealing with three shows where Macross 7 is 49 episodes long and Frontier and Delta combined are another 50 something episodes and they are producing a remaster and subtiitle translation entirely from scratch. Compare this with Nozomi's release of Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny which were first announced back in 2017 and wasn't released until 2020 which was three years later after it's announced. I don't know why Macross fans are that shocked TV shows take a long time and hard effort to put out a quality product.

We're not shocked, we're annoyed AF. We understand that putting these things together takes a long time -- the thing is, though, that it's been so long a time since these initial announcements that all the production work on these series could have been done by now if the companies would set their egos and bureaucracies aside, set the distractions of mergers and acquisitions aside and just freaking do it before another four to seven years have passed. I's don't need to be crossed and t's don't need to be dotted just for the side of the merger that has the current licensing rights to order the production of these titles to begin -- these shows budgets should have been accounted for pre-merger anyways, so there's no reason to encourage the accountants and lawyers to shrug these company commitments off.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Rob J. wrote:

We're not shocked, we're annoyed AF. We understand that putting these things together takes a long time -- the thing is, though, that it's been so long a time since these initial announcements that all the production work on these series could have been done by now if the companies would set their egos and bureaucracies aside, set the distractions of mergers and acquisitions aside and just freaking do it before another four to seven years have passed.
It's literally only been a year and a half and there's been other anime releases even for modern shows that have taken way longer to come out and I think this is making a lot of assumptions about what's going on behind the scenes none of us know.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Rob J. wrote:

We're not shocked, we're annoyed AF. We understand that putting these things together takes a long time -- the thing is, though, that it's been so long a time since these initial announcements that all the production work on these series could have been done by now if the companies would set their egos and bureaucracies aside, set the distractions of mergers and acquisitions aside and just freaking do it before another four to seven years have passed.
It's literally only been a year and a half and there's been other anime releases even for modern shows that have taken way longer to come out and I think this is making a lot of assumptions about what's going on behind the scenes none of us know.

Given the animosity between, well, Harmony Gold and every other studio involved (especially Big West, which is rightly annoyed with them), I think there's enough information out there to make an educated guess about what's taking so long and it has a precious metal in its name. When these shows have literally existed for decades and the only thing that's been holding them up for distribution outside of Japan -- despite the massive demand for them here -- is one studio, any deal with any streamer should have been announced at the same time the studios' deal to come together to bring them stateside was announced back in 2021. Or they should have held off trumpeting the 2021 announcement until now. (Not put off the deal, just put off making a big thing of it.) This announcement here is the real green light for the Macross franchise to finally get over here. Without this announcement, the 2021 one was jumping the gun.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:48 pm Reply with quote
soul.assassin wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Never expected to see Disney+ become the new home for Macross, but if only Harmony Gold could just let go of the original (and DYRL)...

Nothing more infuriating, as
Quote:
Macek
still taunting much of the fanbase even after death.
Macek wasn’t the one responsible for that. [/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6