• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Villainess Level 99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
On one hand, I was happy to finally get Patrick and Yumiella together, but I feel like it was treated like an afterthought...

Bad pacing can really kill the mood, huh?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think I shall summarise that it was a fun little series to follow along with. A bit tropey but it used those tropes to enjoy itself and that felt entertaining for myself. I cannot rate it as highly as a well thought out show like 7th timeloop but I think I enjoyed this one in a fun way more.

It was nice seeing Yumiella use tact, even if it was in an effort to get the right character back into their positions in the game.

I wonder if the novels wanted to get a bit darker after these events as a way to explain whatever this overriding force is that wanted to keep the game on track. Or otherwise I imagine it wanted to start delving into the plans of the court mage and principle that seemed to have implied hidden agenda's to them. From the start sequence giving them expressions of manipulators and the principle having clear attempts at keeping Yumiella in the limelight even against the Royals orders.

Given how game driven the plot of this season was, I think it was appropriate to have the mock game episode at the start. It really positioned the show to be a contrast to expected game events.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It feels a little off to say that this show, which adapts only the first light novel of the source material

Huh, and here I was going to come in to the comments and ask if this was a complete adaptation with that ending, so wasn't expecting that.

Really had a great time with this series, so I would enjoy another season, but I think it works well on it's own too.

The applause bit was brutal and hilarious at the same time.

Odd that Eleanora was only focused on Yumiella and didn't even seem to react to Edwin. I guess that's some character progress that got cut?
Also Edwin calling Alicia "princess" (unless I forgot that he did it before) seems like a pretty big leap too even taking his confession in to account
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested in the differences between the light novel and anime`s plot now that it is over.

As for the calling her princess. I think it was a nod that he was interested in her as a partner, but it is also a way of calling someone precious to themselves. More often used by dads in our culture but not unheard of to call a girlfriend "My Princess".

Especially since Hime in Japanese doesnt always mean royalty.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I really enjoyed this series quite a bit, especially the first 8 episodes. Sadly they kind of rushed the last four. If they could have added about 6 more episodes, I think it could have been my sleeper hit of the winter.

I also like how they took a chance with the first episode in how they Structured it.

Rate it 7/10.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It's funny having Daisuke Ono as the Demon Lord when he'll be playing Sebastian again in the next season. Though it does explain why he only targeted Valschein and how he parallels Yumiella.

I love how Yumiella resolved the conflict thanks to the power of Otome Game logic with her classic deadpan delivery.

Finale could've used more Eleonora.

Watching Yumiella and Patrick become a couple that clears dungeons together is just perfect.

I know the series continues past this point in the novels, which I am totally going to be getting into, though while I would love more from the anime this was a pretty great and satisfying season all its own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5