• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Delicious in Dungeon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 am Reply with quote
Posts removed.

The sequence began with a spoiler, which was discussed / debated by subsequent users, which become pointless if tags had been used in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viren21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
https://twitter.com/dun_meshi_en/status/1709539814025081090?s=46
You can't get it much clearer than that.

I guess my post got removed due to spoilers. Anyways, they could potentially get to adapt the whole manga up until its ending.
spoiler[Since the latest episode is basically the end of the first arc after reading it few weeks ago.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 am Reply with quote

Although not a huge surprise that Falin was resurrected, the process was not what I expected. This is by far the most gruesome episode to date and no amount of optimism from Laios can mask what is effectively a forensic scientist's job of sorting out dead bones from a literal ossuary. They were lucky the dragon didn't digest the bones to sludge, and an entire skeleton with no missing parts was assembled.

What comes next explains why they needed Marcille to do it on site, fortunately with plenty of blood and flesh to power the process. The story looks like it'll continue, because Marcille's pet research topic has attracted the attention of the wrong type of company, the kind Chilchuck was talking about this week. If this franchise is following the stereotype for Dark Elves, then it won't be good news if the party is ambushed by one. They'll need to resolve this problem first before they can start their journey back to civilization, which will most likely be the main storyline for the next quarter.

Putting Laios's comments aside, dragon meat is ludicrously tough but with a distinctive flavour. So game meat, hence Senshi's approach to roasting it, turning it into pizzas and then stew since the meat is flexible enough to be cooked in those ways. He's fulfilled his long-held wish to cook dragon meat, but what will Senshi do now? He'll stick with the others to reach the surface, but he might not hang around as one of his life goals was achieved and he has his own chores to keep the dungeon ecosystem going now that one of the apex predators has been slain and the ramifications are going to be far reaching.

Using Dragon Blood & Flesh for the black magic resurrection appears to have improved Falin's abilities by several levels. Whether it's because the ritual used to resurrect her has some kind of price to pay for the result, or because the stock used was high quality, her increased power level is going to stand the party in good stead as the return journey will be longer and most likely more hazardous. Since eating monsters is a family trait, Falin will fit right in given how excited she was with the gourmand travelogue.

I'm not sure if the mad mage who designed this labyrinth will make an appearance given how desperate everyone else outside the labyrinth is at claiming its secrets, but if he's going to show up it's more likely Laios and company will have to either take him on or run like mad to avoid a gruesome end where they won't be resurrected. Early days, but without his magic Falin wouldn't have been brought back so at the very least she owes him a vote of thanks for keeping her spirit in place to facilitate Marcille's ritual.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The episode gave me an ominous vibe. This was not only due to the gory process of bringing Faling back to life, but the feeling after that of having succeeded using dragon materials for the revival and using ancient/evil magic kept me wondering when the other shoe would drop. For now it seems like a good outcome with some added magic power thrown into the mix, whether it will stay like that, I doubt it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:51 am Reply with quote
I want to avoid stereotypes, but they seem like really close friends.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 12, the midpoint.

I was going to make a Fullmetal Alchemist joke about resurrection and bodily components being converted to calories but since Falin can now do advanced magic the way the Elrics could do circleless alchemy, it's apparently intentional.

Things played out the way I figured they would after episode 10 but the other half of episode 10, that outside parties are after that magic, has already started and it started with some classic Dark Elf racism.... followed by a Dark Elf after that magic.

If the gnomes are coming at the problem from aboveground then the Dark Elves are either underground or they're trying to keep the magic in the dungeons... which would lead to an obvious answer to everything but I'll leave that alone for now.

Overall, the anime was good and the transitional to an actual plot wasn't as painful as I feared.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Effectively the bridge episode for the next quarter, as Raios and company have to save Falin again, but with the stakes much higher now that Falin is effectively under the control of the labyrinth's "mad magician" and all stakeholders in the labyrinth enterprise aren't going to let Laios and his small party wreck the status quo with their quest to save Falin.

I had not made the connection between the wizard in the paintings with the dark elf initially, but the episode kindly reminded me (and a lot of other viewers) who the dark elf really was. She also happens to be the object of Marcille's quest in exploring this labyrinth, so if she can be caught alive Marcille will have plenty to ask her. If the orc Lid is correct, then the dark elf mage has more than just red dragons under her command and if she summons her entire bestiary there's going to be hell to pay. She sees all of the adventurers and explorers as pillagers and thieves, so there's no chance of peaceful negotiations. They can't kill her either, as that would mean the magic maintaining the labyrinth (spirit shackle magic facilitating resurrection) might be undone which a lot of stakeholders do not want.

As for Falin, we don't know if she's just the red dragon temporarily taken form in Falin or if she's just using the red dragon's innate powers because of the unusual resurrection process which revived her. I'm leaning towards the latter, but if they can't kill the dark elf then it's going to be difficult if not impossible to break the current spell/curse over her. A shame we won't see her exploring the labyrinth with the rest of her party members as she's again the focus of their quest, but I'm hoping Senshi keeps his promise to feed her dungeon delicacies.

I've seen the trailers, so the characters who featured in the first OP animation but didn't get introduced this quarter will take their bow in the next. Falin's greatest fan should be one of them, and I'm curious to see what role he plays once he learns what plight she's under.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote

All new OP and ED animations and songs. Completely different tone and visuals from the first quarter, so if that's any indication to what the adaptation has to offer story wise we viewers are in for a wild ride.

For a starter episode, it's a rare example of the series template not followed as the spotlight again shifts to the luckless party which has been revived multiple times pursuing Laios and company for perceived wrongs. Turns out they're not as naive as first portrayed: the human leader Kabru is more than capable of killing other sentient races but struggles with monsters because of their vastly different physiology. The rest of his party has absolute trust in him, so he's more or less safe from party rebellion. Through him and his party members, we get an idea of Laios's first red dragon expedition party, and it's an interesting mix of fact and hearsay as he didn't know Laios personally and could only form conclusions based on what little he saw of them. My takeaway from this episode is much simpler than the complex picture painted by his party: if Laios and his party don't find a way to reach civilization soon they're going to be killed by the pursuers in revenge for robbery and murder with no chance of them being resurrected as their corpses will be disposed of.

The other big surprise is Shuro, the samurai who was with Laios and the others before the red dragon annihilated them all, is the leader of his island's expeditionary squad to the dungeon. Not difficult to guess he left Laios's party after the wipeout to gather his comrades to make his own descent and save Falin. Laios is now aware Shuro is in love with his sister because the surviving members told him, but if the two of them were to meet up again it won't end well for Laios and company as they're outnumbered and Shuro won't cooperate with Laios for the rescue expedition. If anything, Shuro will probably stop Kabru from killing Laios alone but will dispose of the others on Falin's account. Too early to say, but if the spotlight returns to Laios and company their immediate concern is avoiding the pursuers and making it to town in one piece.

If the animations are any indication, Falin won't play any part for the rest of the adaptation as she's been assigned the stereotypical "Damsel in Distress" role and won't be brought out unless the dark elf has business with her on screen. To compensate, elven parties acting on behest of the elf population determined to retake the labyrinth will make their bow, along with other groups I have no idea about as nothing has been shown or mentioned about them to date.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote

The second quarter's first foray into dungeon grub, and not a moment too soon as the party is about to annihilated due to lack of food. Because of their plight, they can't be too fussy and dryad flowers and fruit are fair game no matter how human the appearance. Having watched a lot of episodes, seeing Marcille drink from a tomato substitute with a human face too realistic to be art loses the intended impact even though the characters make a comment about it.

Since the focus is back on the main party, background exposition is easier to reintegrate into the episode. Marcille's analogy into her speciality suggests she's probably the only person in the party and the entire dungeon spelunking community who has the knowledge to stand up to the dark elf "mad mage", as she can interfere with the dungeon's internal workings to some degree. She can't do it alone though, so making Laios learn some basic magic to ease the burden on her and the party is logical. However, Laios just has a bloodline to rely on unlike Falin's talent, so this probably won't be as smooth sailing as she makes it out to be.

The cockatrice segment as a one-off is hugely entertaining as it doesn't rely on allergies as a comic focus. Senshi's read of the monster's capabilities was spot on, so they just needed a plan to take it down without Laios's help. Predictably Marcille was bitten by the snake head, so the animators exploit the comic opportunity it provides to the full. Both the pose she ends up taking and what Senshi does to stabilise her to stop her from breaking are hilarious (slow cooked cockatrice meat for three days is a record for the time he's taken to produce a dish to date). I'm thinking it was less Laios and more of Chilchuck and Marcille which got her over the line, but we'll never know for sure.

That said, it's an interesting diversion but they've wasted valuable time trying to return to the service and the pursuit party introduced last week will no doubt have reached their floor by now. If that's the case, negotiation or conflict cannot be avoided. They'll need to stop Kabru's party from killing them and Shiro's party from pursuing Fathin before the main story can proceed and before they can return to the surface to resupply.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, the amount of time spent on last week's detour meant it was inevitable the pursuit party would meet up with Laios's crew. Fortunately for Laios and the others, the pursuit party didn't harbour any hostile intent towards Laios so they have the chance to catch up and ask for reinforcements.

Toshurou = Shurou for Laios and the others unfamiliar with the names. He's certainly obsessed with Falin, but even he would be taken aback by the state she's in now. As if the revelation that she was brought back with Black Magic and the Dragon Carcass as a medium wasn't enough, the last scene proves Laios and the others have to break the hold exerted over her by the labyrinth's master if she's truly to be saved.

Kabru is a wild card. He's certainly thinking about how he can exploit Laios and the others to ensure his own party get in on the action and profit from it. He's a decent actor as well; Laios doesn't see through his facade and won't be able to defend himself if there's a betrayal further down the line if they end up working together.

We'll probably find out more about Shurou's crew in later episodes, but if he agrees to help Laios and the main party it would greatly increase the chances of success. However, something tells me Shurou is not going to work with Laios and will take his own chances with the mage. If I'm wrong, it means Laios and the others will not waste time and will move deeper into the labyrinth in pursuit. Kabru and his crew might join them, or they'll head back to the surface to cash in on what they've learnt to date at a late time with better equipment. As a crossroads episode, it's difficult to predict what's going to happen next for casual viewers.

For this week's cuisine, Shurou's traditional cuisine contrasts with Senshi's offering of dungeon cleaner bricks as an impromptu cooking and eating vessel for the baked offering he's served up. If it wasn't made of monster parts, the visuals actually make me hungry thinking about the equivalent.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Turns out it was premature thinking the reunited groups would venture together into the dungeon depths to rescue Falin. Blood was indeed spilled between them, but not for the reason that I thought would be the trigger. Having Falin in chimera form attack the assembled group convinced everyone not part of our main group to date to cut their losses and escape to the surface to resupply and reinforce. Only the craziest group with the biggest motivation for saving Falin would continue onwards without reinforcement, especially as their biggest secret is now out and they would be caught and killed anyway if they went back to reinforce.

In case everyone has forgotten, Laios is a psychopath. His initial reaction to Falin's appearance and Shurou's conjecture into his thought process before revealing all (which was spot on) together with his unhealthy obsession towards monster gourmet unnerves everyone not part of his main party to date. A close second in the "keep far away from self" rankings is Kabru. Laios is just as dense as he is a psychopath, so he cannot ascertain Kabru's true intentions in being diplomatic when everyone in Kabru's party knows he's doing it to get as close as possible so that the inevitable backstab will succeed. Kabru is devious, but his insight as an outsider to the Laios group isn't completely off despite the lack of close contact with the group. No idea what he'll do once he returns to the surface, but it's more than likely he and his group will be the ones spilling the beans (along with Shurou) and preparing the welcome party for Laios and company or even pursuit parties to hunt down the heretics. Given half a chance, he'll stab Laios in the back if they somehow succeed in their mad quest and then claim the credit and prize for himself.

Is all lost for Laios's cause? I don't think so, despite her hostility and the kills from her action she still recognised her brother. If they meet again, they will still try to kill each other, but Laios is betting everything on killing the mad mage to break the control over her and then relying on Marcille to somehow reverse the transformation. If Laios isn't going to kill Falin, he'll need a much better plan than the impromptu one they got away with against the red dragon. The mad mage most likely has Marcille beaten on the magic front, so they won't win a straight fight if the pair take the four on. Taking the mad mage by surprise is the only way they can increase their miniscule chances for victory, but can they pull that off?

Although a serious episode, there's still time for some monster food. Unsurprisingly harpy eggs are used as the main ingredient for omelettes, I didn't think the harpies would be used as some kind of chicken or turkey substitute.

What will the next story arc bring? This is the fifth level, so the four of them have at least four levels to spelunk before they reach the depths where they assume the mad mage will be waiting for them. What's waiting for them there? A return to the standard template from earlier episodes is most likely from my guess after all the drama this week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4