• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Fable (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote

(The) Fable (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 22 volumes, by Katsuhisa Minami)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions

Genres: comedy, drama

Themes: adult cast, assassins, crime, mafia, satire, yakuza

Plot Summary: When you're the infamous prodigy hitman known only as “Fable,” many things come easy. Being a normal person, however, isn't one of them. In fact, being told that he can't kill anyone for a while may just be the hardest job Fable's ever taken...

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Disney+

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

This actually sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Pretty good voice cast, too. Will try it.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this one, too. MC has the perfect facial expression for a killah.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode a lot more than I probably should have. The animation is very budget, the characters look...unique and story wise not all that much really happened in the first episode besides a bit of action at the start and a lot of talking (the voice acting is also a tad unique). All that said, I found myself very entertained and looking forward to how much of an absolute mess the mc is going to create in trying to be a normal person.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
Yah, it's a weird show. The background colors aren't quite as butt ugly as all those crap tan and puke green visuals in that show about bum ninjas a season or two back. There were some cool things about that show, but I dropped it because I could barely stand to look at it, just like I dropped the unobjectionable Fire Fighter Daigo because that friggin same blaring background music over and over was starting to hit my eardrums like a dentist drill.

Anyway, there are hardly any background colors at all in this show, but all the murkiness is kind of appropriate to the theme and tone, so it kind of works.

The lead character has zero charisma as far as I can see. He's a cretin who's ultra competent at one thing, and that one thing happens to be insta-kills. On the other hand, would having him be a smooth, glib, charismatic, likable sociopath really be better if we're picking nits here?

There is something compelling about this show, and if I'm reading the tea leaves right here, this is going to be an anime about a bad guy coming into conflict with more bad guys. Not so much a big fish in a small pond as a pirahna in a small pond. I don't know if the lead will be making any progress as a human being, but the chaos of bad things happening to bad people could be interesting.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yup, it is fun seeing the mc trying to hold back and act his way out of situations. That said, keep pushing the guy and things will probably not end well for those involved. He also does not a hobby or two besides the weird naked guy with a tie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Ha ha, Fable's "sister" is one twisted chick! Makes me love her even more. Her seiyuu, Miyuki Sawashiro, is doing an awesome job. Kind of surprised that this show didn't get selected for the episode review treatment. Could be because it's on Disney+ and not enough voters were aware of it...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, for all she yells at Sato for not keeping his head down enough, I thought she was going to wreck things herself by letting the guy die of alcohol overdose.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 am Reply with quote
I thought that the show had been a bit too dry, such that there wasn't really much character to latch onto, with the most interesting thing with him was him being really into the cleaning guy. Something he cared about.

She on the other hand had been even more dull in my opinion, such that I couldn't really pick out anything she actually cared about. About the closest I thought was that maybe she was tricker than she lets on, since the guy monitoring them said that the microphones were acting up at her place, I thought maybe she fully well knew they were being watched, and disabled the bugs to not be listened to while not bothered by what could be seen. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. So, I am happy to her so into seeing the yakuza henchman act pathetic while drunk, to the point she probably has a fetish.

Considering that she seemed to have no qualms in undressing to her underwear to embarrass him, pushes me further into believing that she is aware of the cameras, and doesn't care so much about being seen over perhaps having some control over the information he thinks that he has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1