• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Train to the End of the World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yes, the lasses are clearly a little unprepared for a long voyage. I find myself frustrated at not being able to binge this puppy. It's not like I have this urge for every show I like... often the weekly dollop is fine by me. But for some reason... perhaps it's a desire to learn more about the mystery of the 7G oopsie, I dunno... I'd love to have the option of just chewing through multiple episodes. And no, waiting until the cours is over is not an option for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling, that said, with mystery shows part of the appeal is usually the wait and thus brainstorming you do about what the show might do next. I remember Lost being a great example of that until the plot went to shit in the last few seasons.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably finish the episode after work, but I couldn't keep watching over lunch.
It has the unfortunate anime-comedy killer of yelling about all the craziness all the time.

Maybe waiting for a binge is the answer. And as sometimes happens, I wait for an original show to end and I hear nothing but bad things about the ending. Kind of like Wonder Egg Priority - except only some of what I hear is bad and then another group that figure it can be fixed with another season... both issues makes me glad I didn't keep up with the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It has the unfortunate anime-comedy killer of yelling about all the craziness all the time.

Yeah, I finally put the 2nd episode on mute and just read the subs. Much better that way. I did unmute it during important stuff like the guy in the boat and the rail-banging SOS. Hopefully they'll quit chatterboxing at each other all the time and I won't have to do that.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hopefully they'll quit chatterboxing at each other all the time and I won't have to do that.

I dunno. In episode 3, I found the interaction between them the most annoying part. The way the three just kept blithely ignoring Akira and rambling on kind of made the "Fungus among us" plotline seem like the show wasn't even working for it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote

It's a miracle the four of them survived this episode. I suppose having one who's a cheeky sceptic with bad manners is an advantage when she starts to second-guess unbridled hospitality in the midst of a world-ending catastrophe with humans irreversibly transformed one way or another.

I'd have more sympathy for Akira if she was less frustrating herself in not being more proactive in getting her point across. Her friends were blasé to begin with, but the mushroom curse just amplified it ten-fold. It took a Deus Ex Machina and a few flashbacks to force Shizuru out of her mushroom-induced apathy. There's hope for them yet if they can dig themselves out of their own mess, but I'd be far less interested in this series if it comes down to plot armour to get them out of scrapes.

Granted, they finally have food supplies from the supermarket since the mushroom villagers (with their shortened lifespans and different method of obtaining sustenance) no longer needed them. So long as the supplies aren't tainted with the local mushrooms, they should be fun provided they have the kit to cook stuff like instant noodles. Their laundry situation is fine for now until the next stop, which should be less than three days away.

Despite getting off lightly this week (and there's every reason this week's saviour becomes next week's problem), the four are going to have either really surreal pit stops or they'll likely escape a horrible death by chance or circumstance if the traded map is anything to go by. I'm hoping for less of a repeat of this episode moving forward, not my preferred type of entertainment even if it serves a purpose.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 am Reply with quote
The episode looked great and had plenty of creepy moments to enjoy, it came close to being a horror lite. It was interesting to see the people choose to stay mushroom zombies and die in a year or two of no worries/thoughts required, that said, I do question how much is due to their free will and how much is due to the mushroom influence.

As for the plot armor, I hope that this week's events will act as a wake up call to all of the girls going forward that the world is in fact a dangerous place. Going willy nilly to unknown locations and just blindly trusting people is not a good idea. They got lucky and that is fine for one time, doing the same multiple times would cheapen the whole thing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I dunno. In episode 3, I found the interaction between them the most annoying part. The way the three just kept blithely ignoring Akira and rambling on kind of made the "Fungus among us" plotline seem like the show wasn't even working for it.

Yes, it's the way they interact that bugs me, not so much that they yammer all the time (which, to be fair, is normal for teens, but I don't like it in rl either). "Chatterboxing" was a bad pun on "chattering" and "boxing" but I should have just gone with "sniping" to be clearer what I meant. Smile But muting it does help a lot to make it tolerable.

Their world really has folded in on itself, if the Nazca lines in ep 2 are any indication.

For future reference:

(click for larger image)

Looks like a town of dogs or foxes or wolves coming up?
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Gina, the image of the map is great!!! Yeah, some sort of canid next. And then octopus? Is that an octopus? But, yikes, look how many stops between them and Ikebukuro.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The last ep said 29 more stops and the map agrees. So I guess either we're not getting there this season, there will be more than one stop per episode, or some other catastrophe will let them sidestep some of the stops, six of which are blank (is nothing there or did he not go there for some reason or what?). Also the broken line before the last station suggests that maybe you can't get there from here? When I see that sort of disconnect in graph axes it usually means they're saving space and compacting the graph by omitting a time or quantity gap where nothing of interest is going on. Don't know what it might mean here.

I wonder what's growing out of Akira's butt - a mushroom or a tail? I'm kinda thinking a tail, since the dog seemed interested. >.>
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote

For all of us wondering if this series would bring us one stop at a time to the final destination, those worries are unfounded. This episode cleared eight stops in one go, with the hermit's map being somewhat accurate in describing the various distinguishing features of each stop. Also, cross-referencing what they see in each stop with the real-life line's stations (either their tourist attractions like goats or the real-life attractions which surround them, like the golf driving ranges, or the names of the stations themselves) gives a hint of what the girls are to expect.

For some reason, Akira's mushroom came out the rear end. Perhaps it's because she didn't go to the sauna with the others, so the dampest and most conducive environment for mushroom cultivation ended up being what most people would expect from available orifices. Akira being Akira, she refused to ask for help as Reimi pointed out and ended up with a worst case of the mushroom sickness. Because she left it to incubate for so long, she's having after-effects which the others will have to treat or they'll never progress on their journey.

Which brings us to Inariyama Kouen, where Zenjirou had a classmate with the nasty personality who may have the solution to their problem. Assuming the girls who are experiencing Lilliput syndrome can extricate themselves from their mess. As to how that stop came to be, I'm betting on all residents and JSDF personnel in the area at the time staying human but shrinking in size. Their ammunition isn't big enough to wound human skin, but sleeping gas still works on giant humans if there's enough of it.

If Akira had the spotlight last week, this arc looks like it's Reimi's turn. An airhead who has better physical attributes than the others, she'll have to do something as Shizuru is still unconscious and the other two are too far away to assist. Considering she acts first and asks questions later, she might have the right attributes required to get the solution they need.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 am Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Yeah, some sort of canid next. And then octopus? Is that an octopus?

Lol, clearly the swan man's art leaves a bit to be desired. The canids were actually goat people, the octopus was some sort of berry-mandrake hybrid, the 3-dimple ball was a golf ball, then tree people, an empty town, daruma people, floating innards and finally, Small Soldiers™. If they get out of that, then an unknown stop, and if I'm guessing right this time, the doctor will be the pipe station? Who knows. The map is pretty useless after all, but trying to decipher the art is still fun.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I just rewatched the last episode just to be sure, but I noticed that the name of the the station that they stopped at with the miniature town is the stop where they're supposed to (or where they think they're supposed to) find the doctor, according to what Reimi remembers Kazuyo-san (the capybara) from their hometown saying. I'm guessing since the stop between the innards and the current station is blank on the map, they didn't bother showing the train going past it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 am Reply with quote
On the map the current station is the diamond with the tiny stick figures, after the stomach. The blank station is after that. Either Capybara-san was wrong (it sounded like that was just what he'd heard), or the doctor fled before getting shrunk. Or the Small Soldiers™ are holding him captive too. Guess we'll find out when they escape?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
On the map the current station is the diamond with the tiny stick figures, after the stomach. The blank station is after that. Either Capybara-san was wrong (it sounded like that was just what he'd heard), or the doctor fled before getting shrunk. Or the Small Soldiers™ are holding him captive too. Guess we'll find out when they escape?

Looks like I got the map reversed, but the station name with the Small Soldiers™ still matches the name of the station that they think the doctor is supposed to be at. Shizuru even comments that there isn't a soul in sight, doctor or otherwise. I also just noticed that the conductor mentions the same station that they're stopped at just before he reverts back to his mindless state, matching what the Capybara said as well.

Yes, I'm bored and went back to the episode several times!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4