• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Condition Called Love (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote

(A) Condition Called Love (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 14 volumes, by Megumi Morino)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: East Fish Studio

Genres: comedy, drama, romance

Themes: coming-of-age, school

Plot Summary: Hotaru is a 16-year-old high school first-year who has always been ambivalent about love, preferring instead to have a lively life with her family and friends. So when she sees her schoolmate, Hananoi-kun, sitting in the snow after a messy, public breakup, she thinks nothing of offering to share her umbrella.

But when he asks her out in the middle of her classroom the next day, she can't help but feel that her life is about to change in a big way.

Air Date & Platform:
April 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

I'll watch this just for Kana Hanazawa. She's a pretty awesome actress. And I'm curious to hear what Chiaki Kobayashi will sound like as a regular romancing teen dude (should be quite the antithesis from Mash in the previous season!).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:58 am Reply with quote
This anime walks a very strange line between being sweet and being a bag full of ick.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
This is a new experience for me in that the first episode of a new romance anime made me not experience a single bit of actual romance but rather only moments of sheer creepiness. On one hand we have Hotaru who despite making clear that she has no interest in romance is kind of being indirectly forced by everyone around her to just go for it and that not wanting it makes her broken/weird (though she is rethinking that at the end of the episode?). On the other hand we have Hananoi who is beyond broken and the type of person who I could easily see stalking the person he likes or when rejected enough going the School Days route.

Add to all that the literal zero chemistry between the main characters and I am unsure whether this is supposed to be an actual romance show or some type of unsettling horror.

It makes for an interesting start at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:13 am Reply with quote
So, I was not the only one who was creeped out that he cut his hair, and that he stayed at the school. Those are not romantic.

And before she apparently started to feel something at the end, the writing made it out that she might be some flavour of aromantic, which made all the pressure being put on her kind of creepy. Granted, I doubt many romance anime/manga are aware of that sort of thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:42 am Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I think the show is/was going for a Skip and Loafer vibe. Apologies to anyone who hasn't seen that anime (and if you're watching this one, you should give it a try) but there are some similarities between the MC and Mitsumi. Shima was also a hot looking popular guy who was maybe a little too nice for self-esteem and guilt reasons. The difference is that Shima was genuinely delighted by Mitsumi because of her strength and quirkiness and didn't have any thoughts of being anything other than her friend because he didn't feel worthy, whereas Hanannoying seems to be obsessively latching onto Hotaru to fill some void inside him.

But I think this really is supposed to be a romance, not a descent into stalkerdom.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings on the second episode. There are some actual romantic/cute moments and both of them are trying to feel out what works and what does not for them. On the other hand, seeing those photos with Hananoying cut out of them, his shrine or whatever was behind the curtain and his sometimes weirdly intense looks and actions make my red flag alert go off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 pm Reply with quote
And with the third episode done it is time for the good old drop or keep. I will give credit that the third episode has less creep and more cute than the previous ones. Hananoying can still be real over the top though. Otherwise I do not feel all that invested in the couple and besides them there are not really any characters of note so far. I suppose that leaves me thinking of dropping it but not being 100% sure.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
I keep thinking I should try episode 2 and then I keep not doing it. Probably not a good sign.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well, Hotaru is slowly learning new things about herself and others, it is honestly pretty interesting/worthwhile to see, she is even beginning to fall in love though she has not realized it yet. On the other hand there is Hananoying who keeps combining wholesome moments with disturbing actions and comments. Every single time time there is a fluffy moment he always does something to add a bit of a bitter taste to it. This week showed how little he cares for other people but his target....I mean girlfriend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1