• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mysterious Disappearances (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Mysterious Disappearances (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 volumes, by Nujima)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Zero-G

Genres: comedy, drama, mystery, supernatural

Themes: detective, folklore, ghosts, spirits, urban legends

Plot Summary: Sumireko Ogawa is an aspiring novelist who loves mysteries and works at a bookstore with a boy named Ren Adashino. They pass the time with aimless conversations. However, Adashino has a secret that Sumireko does not know. Some of the ghost stories, urban legends, and modern-day ghosts that people talk about are real.

Air Date & Platform:
April 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Getting some Dark Gathering vibes, though his probably won't be as gory and creepy. But I do like me some supernatural detective stories.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:54 am Reply with quote
The first episode was a weird one in that I don't know what it is going for mood wise. At some point it seemed like it will be a body horror type show with some character development yet a bit later it seems about the fan service and jokes while making it feel not scary at all anymore.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to make of this one either. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had gotten a platform because I generally like "Paranormal Investigation" type shows, but this one didn't seem to have a definite mood. It's not like I minded it, but it didn't scare me, and it wasn't funny...but it did succeed in keeping me watching to see what would happen next.

I sort of empathized with the main character - the fact that she loves to write and isn't finding success anymore came through loud and clear - but I'm not sure what she brings to the table in terms of being a ghost hunter. Well, I mean, I do know what she brings to the table. They were featured quite a bit. Just not sure what it has to do with ghost hunting. I can see why the co-worker would keep getting involved in situations, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be driving the main story here. Is it that the main character is going to be investigating the "Mysterious Disappearances" of the title because she's found something to write about? Anyway, I'll try it again to see how some of this stuff resolves or develops or if it does..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Liked it and interested to see where it's going.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The pacing is a bit weird but it is seems like the adventure is going to consist of Sumireko being dragged into all kinds of supernatural occurences. In the case of episode 2 sensei seems to be using some type of power to have all troublemakers drop out from school in order to have it be peaceful. She is rather quick to use said power though and her devil shadow does not really predict a good outcome.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
I didn't dislike episode 1, but I liked episode 2 more. The addition of that little brat Oto gave the show some needed oomph chemistry wise IMHO, and the conflict was more like a real mystery than a random curse attack. It was also good seeing the MC play a more active role without being obsessed, or at least cursed/ obsessed. I'm not crazy about the fact that out of all the different side effects she could have gotten from a curse, she got the power to appear young since her unhealthy obsession with reliving her youth is what caused the curse in the first place. The ability doesn't seem very useful in a fight and is kind of a mixed message in terms of character growth. Plus it's not like anime needs more adults pretending to be kids. Why not just give her increased curse resistance? But whatevs. Still liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1