• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yatagarasu: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Yatagarasu: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master (TV)

Source: Novel (ongoing @ 10 volumes, by Chisato Abe)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Pierrot

Genres: drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, historical, power struggle, royalty, transformations

Plot Summary: Yamauchi is a fantastic world where the Yatagarasu live. Yukiya, a young Yatagarasu, is appointed as the personal attendant of the eccentric Crown Prince Wakamiya. Soon, he is entangled in a web of conspiracies attempting to overthrow the heir to the Imperial throne.

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Sounds like Wolf's Rain with crows meets Kingdom. Very interested in checking this out. Am also curious if Pierrot can maintain their recent trend of "way-better-than-I-thought-it'd-ever-be" production value.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1-2

I initially didn't sample this because I was scared off by some of the comments in the Preview Guide. I got the impression that things were hard to follow and a bunch of names were being thrown at the viewer. Fortunately, my innate curiosity took over and I did check this out. Glad I did because I'm enjoying it. It's actually dead simple to follow and yes there's a chunk of names to keep track of but nothing too daunting. Naturally, I'm rooting for Sweet Girl Asebi to win the Crown Prince sweepstakes. Putta ring on it, Princey! There's a scheming Empress in the background and some dudes can turn into giant, three legged crows. What's not to love?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am Reply with quote
I can't think of anything not to like either. I've been actively looking forward to this one, but somehow it slipped by me on whatever day it debuted, and I didn't realize it was out already. Now it's another new favorite. Lots of distinct characters and atmosphere. Well drawn, unpredictable, with good voice acting,
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:47 am Reply with quote
Y'know, this anime's only had one real fight - maybe two if you count a giant bird getting bodyslammed by some bodyguards - but the character driven tension and political infighting is as intense as most action anime. Plus, this anime's original world is handled so...I dunno...organically? Seamlessly? that it feels like a historical anime rather than a fantasy. Still awesome 3 episodes in IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1