• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: Texhnolyze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I promise a detailed post, and halfadeckshort does it for me.

Oh, and people: share your thoughts, please! It was apparently a problem for past book club threads where people were intimidated by the lengthy posts and afraid to contribute -- don't be! I'd love to see others' thoughts; probably will also have something pointed out to me that I have missed (which has happened more than I care to count).

halfadeckshort wrote:
I agree that Yoshii is an outsider, but I don't think that he, or any other true outsiders, are responsible for orchestrating the Spectacles: in the context of the Spectacles, I see Yoshii as a catalyst rather than an outside force.

Catalyst. That's the better word. Basically, I believe that the occasional Spectacles might be initiated by outsiders like Yoshii.

I'll have to keep on re-watching before holding strong credence to my theory, though. One of the most powerful elements of Texhnolyze is the ambiguity and purposeful vagueness of a lot of background details on the setting and characters. There's an important reason (or reasons) for those small mysteries, but that can't even be said until we've come to the final set of episodes!

Quote:
Is the piece that's playing as Ichise is making his way through the sewer in episode 5 on there (I believe it's a cello that comes in at the 15:28 mark)?

Sadly, no. Shame, because it's one of my favorite bits in the series. (The track after that when Ichise breaks out of the sewers is, though.)

Quote:
*I like how this episode is looped, beginning and ending with the voice of the caretaker ("Old Man at Facility" in the credits). Extremely appropriate for an episode entitled "Repetition."

Just an aside: the names of the episodes are more relevant to Texhnolyze than most anime series. Examples: episode one, Stranger, has Yoshii coming into Lux; episode two, Forfeiture, applying to Ichise losing his limbs to "atone for his crime"; episode three, Texhnophile, obviously alluding to Doc's obsession with his creation; and so on and so forth.

These title become even more noticeable in the latter half of the series, where they're needed to aid the thematic narrative.

Quote:
*The caretaker mentions that "The city folks' eyes changed colors. No, it's not a figure of speech, no. Their eyes did change colors, and that's a fact." He also mentions, as HellKorn pointed out, that maybe it wasn't the first time that they had changed.

Also important to note: one of the last images shown in episode six is a gleefully violent Ichise staring down an Organo member. What's one of the most memorable scenes in episode seven? Onishi examining Ichise, to which there's a close-up to the latter's eyes. Oh yeah -- let us not forget that we're shown other close-ups of one of Ichise's eyes in the opening theme.

Quote:
*Apparently, at one time the source of the light was shut down for 6 days, and it led to mass hysteria in the city. It seems that the light in Lux is extremely important for maintaining order. It's also interesting that the control of the light is a manual process.

Can't believe it didn't occur to me earlier: lux is Latin for light, and there were violent outbursts in the city of light when its namesake was taken from them. Don't know what to make of that, though; I'll think about it as I continue with the series.

Quote:
(As an aside... is the place where Ichise lost his limbs the same place where his father was hanged? It's probably just similar, but I need to re-watch episode 3 again.)

Ichise's former "residence" doesn't have the Obelisk visibly nearby (the first object shown during the flashback in episode three), so I don't believe so.

Quote:
*Doc, angry, kicks the bumper of her vehicle and breaks her heel. I think this is relevant because we're actually seeing a little more emotion out of Doc in this episode. Her destination, and what originally caused her to be ill tempered, will be shown later.

Yeah, extremely important. She's coming out of the Class, furious that there seems to be conflict with her own plans. With whom is she arguing with, and what specifically about? All revealed in due time.

Quote:
*Ichise beats Ishii with his human hand while Ran watches on. She says "good boy, good boy" further reinforcing the image of Ichise as a dog. I'll have more to say about Ran's apparent approval of Ichise's actions later on in the series.

By the by: what's your opinion of what Ran saw at the end of episode four? Ichise's future, obviously, but how far? I wasn't too sure until after re-watching episode five -- she's probably referring to him getting thrashed and thrown down into the sewers.

Quote:
*Doc, seeing that her taste in men has failed her, decides to take the rat home. Wink

Gotta love these rare bits of humor.

Quote:
*Onishi maintains that it is not time for a Spectacle, and the other heads of the organization are obviously disappointed with his decision. This scene, and the way that Ishii disobeyed Onishi's orders in the last episode give a sense that the Organo is not as unified as it seems.

Those that compose the higher ranks of the Organo are largely egotists. Their goals are at odds with Onishi's intentions: to maintain stability and not resort to gratuitous chaos. Rather amazing that Onishi has been able to contain them for so long.

Also, just a couple observations:

- I like how the privileged have such copious amounts of space available to them. The interior shot of Onishi at the Organo HQ is also great: a man surrounded and supported by only a lone woman (his secretary, Hirota). It really creates such a cold atmosphere, distancing the viewers from what's on the screen (as well as Onishi from the rest of the Organo).

- The scenes with Ichise and Ran in episode seven are rather touching. No words at all; Ran just shows him the flower, letting Ichise know who his savior is. Also interesting that she's been the only character so far who has been able to quell his anger.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I promise a detailed post, and halfadeckshort does it for me.

I didn't mean for it to be in place of your post. There are a lot of things that I'm still trying to figure out, and I've obviously glossed over a lot of things.

Quote:
By the by: what's your opinion of what Ran saw at the end of episode four? Ichise's future, obviously, but how far? I wasn't too sure until after re-watching episode five -- she's probably referring to him getting thrashed and thrown down into the sewers.

I'm a bit conflicted on her abilities. I think that she can see much farther than that, but I can't say why until later on. The thought that I've had from the beginning though is that her "I saw it"s are a validation of what she's seen, an acknowledgement that the branch of the future that she saw bore fruit, instead of a vision/revelation that she has had at that particular moment. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she explained that she sees a version of the future, and her vocalizations are the confirmation that her version of the future has come true.

Quote:
I like how the privileged have such copious amounts of space available to them. The interior shot of Onishi at the Organo HQ is also great: a man surrounded and supported by only a lone woman (his secretary, Hirota). It really creates such a cold atmosphere, distancing the viewers from what's on the screen (as well as Onishi from the rest of the Organo).

I think that the space in Onishi's office is also a representation of his personality. Though we don't know the details of his legs until later on, it is a fact that both of his legs are Texhnolyze. Given the amount of trouble that Ichise has in learning how to walk/balance, it is possible to extend that struggle to Onishi. Imagine how difficult it would have been trying to learn to balance on two new legs. The lack of things to lean against in Onishi's office could be read as an indication of his strength, and a representation of his struggle to maintain balance (both in himself and the organization). I feel that it also has some resonance with what Yoshii said about true freedom not being able to lean on anything. Not that I am saying that Onishi is free, but there are resonances there. I fully agree that the implications of Onishi distancing himself from others, the coldness, and the benefits of privilege are also there, however.

Quote:
The scenes with Ichise and Ran in episode seven are rather touching. No words at all; Ran just shows him the flower, letting Ichise know who his savior is.

You know, I didn't think about that at all. I guess I assumed that he knew where the flowers had come from for some reason. It seems so obvious now. And no, I'm not saying that just to reinforce the point about other people's comments helping to point out things that might have been missed. If I were going to do that I'd certainly use something less important.... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:

*Yoshii guns down the husband/pimp; the train passes, the shells fall, and the scene cuts back to Mari in bed, modestly covered with the sheet, obviously dead. One has to wonder whether the killing of these two was motivated by the need for Yoshii to obscure his actions, or by mercy. The first time through the episode I felt a sense of justice as the husband/pimp was gunned down, and then a sense of outrage as the camera focused on the still form of Mari, whom Yoshii had promised freedom. In the end though, after much reflection, it seems that Yoshii kept his word in the only way that he could to ensure that she'd never have to lean on anything again, lending weight to his assertion that "...half measures won't do."

I understand that absolute freedom doesn't exist and we are still addicted one way or another by the things or the people surrounding us, still at the time when I watched this outcome I got sad: I really wanted for Mari to have another chance and for a moment when I saw that Yoshii was killing the husband I really thought that it might come to this (though I had the terrible suspicion that she would be mad when finding out about her husband's death). Therefore I was shocked to see her dead in her bed. I actually had to watch that scene twice and then reading your post to convince myself that this is exactly what happened. Sad Shocked That is why I am a little bit sad by the whole thing.

This incident also triggered something more to me: as the following episodes show, Yoshii is definetely not a common man and he has his own agenda. But apart from this, it seems to me the most decieving character from the whole palette of characters. Although at first to me it seemed quite a different type of human being from the others caught within Lux, he turns out to be gentle and cold at the same time. I wouldn't know how to express my feelings towards this character, except that 'I don't like him'. I haven't seen the series before and therefore I don't know what to expect from him in the future but for now, he is one in the least favourite characters list in this series.

halfadeckshort wrote:

Ichise, guided by Ran's flowers, finds his way through the maze of the sewers and breaks through the bars imprisoning him.

Well, HellKron told me to remember this, so I am giving a tought back on this one as well. I am constantly surprised by Ichise's strong will to live. For him it is something beyond the instinct for survival. He is so passionate about his life, no matter how much he endures, no matter how much suffering he must put up with, he is constantly fighting and this is something which truly amazes me. I don't think that I have seen before an anime character with such a strong will to live and fight for life. The whole episode only manages to amplify this struggle and the fact that Ran helps him is interesting enough. (I am also a little bit confused about how powerful Ran is). She succeeds in making him see the light and he climbs the stairs only to see those bars and then all of the sudden that urge to live kicks in again (plus a new super-powerful arm) and he breaks one just so he can get out. I was again stunned by the whole idea. And the follwoing series of events only succeeds in making me believe in Ichise's will to live even harder.

In episode six he is finally coming to terms with his body. Here I have a question: what do you think about the constant appearance of stairs? It may be nothing to you, but to me it's starnge: Ichise always manages to climb stairs, which it sometimes look like an ultimate proof of endurance. Then Doc and Yoshii meet and stairs are involved again. Stairs are present all the time: and I can't forget about that scene (was it in episode 2?) when Ichise has the vision with him climbing those stairs and still having his limbs. Since then the stairs seem to me some sort of laitmotiv which appears along the series. But maybe I am reading too much into it.

HellKorn wrote:

Also important to note: one of the last images shown in episode six is a gleefully violent Ichise staring down an Organo member. What's one of the most memorable scenes in episode seven? Onishi examining Ichise, to which there's a close-up to the latter's eyes. Oh yeah -- let us not forget that we're shown other close-ups of one of Ichise's eyes in the opening theme.

The close-up on Ichise's eyes appear along all these two episodes. Even in episode seven when he meets with Shinji (?), there are various deep close-ups to show Ichise's eyes full of anger and perhaps something more (determination to live maybe? - I might become obssessed by the idea Embarassed). Then the tension which sparkled between Onishi and Ichise contest of glaring made me feel like two true fighters have finally met.

On a side note, Doc seems quite interesting. Showing emotions (wow, she actually gets angry) and the subtle irony that she has make her much more human.

HellKorn wrote:

- The scenes with Ichise and Ran in episode seven are rather touching. No words at all; Ran just shows him the flower, letting Ichise know who his savior is. Also interesting that she's been the only character so far who has been able to quell his anger.

There's also the scene when he is almost angered by Shinji again and gets up but then he feels Ran's touch (on his texhnolyzed hand!) and calms himself. Could it be because Ran is almost the only person who showed him kindness ? (and I am also taking into account the man that gave him food because he helped him, before meeting Onishi's man in episode 6). There's something scary in Ichise's anger (animalistic, but also something more).

About Ichise's confrontation with Onishi's men: although I don't aprove of violence and damn, I condemn it, I still felt a little satisfied when he finally got the chance to pay those guys back. Honestly, they made him go through so much trouble and suffering (not once but twice Evil or Very Mad ). Of course when he was hit on the head, I got fustrated again: what could happen now? Really, this guy goes through so much trouble and pain already. Shocked I was glad to see Doc (yeah, I too loved the joke with the rat Smile ) making Ichise's arm and leg and then even making Onishi let Ichise leave. She says that she doesn't want to see 'her boy' harmed and I was wondering whom she meant for a moment because as Onishi once said, I was wondering who needs who and who is Doc's true boy: Onishi or Ichise, since they are both depending on her in one way or another? I loved the scenes when she was making him better: there wasn't the tension that it used to be and not even the superior attitude that Doc used to have. Plus the music in the background was really gentle and it enhanced the tranquility of the scene.

HellKorn wrote:

Oh, and people: share your thoughts, please! It was apparently a problem for past book club threads where people were intimidated by the lengthy posts and afraid to contribute -- don't be!

Well, I am not intimidated by the lengthy posts, but by the high quality of them. Or the things that I wanted to say have already been pinned down. Plus you guys seem to understand this series much better than I do. I usually see the episodes then read your posts so I can have a clearer picture on everything.
fullmetal biologist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
HellKorn wrote:
If not, however, I will say this: the upcoming set of episodes at last begins the pay-off I suspect a lot of viewers are yearning for. There's a lot that will happen in this arc (which ends at episode 10), with some genuinely shocking reveals and events. Looking forward to everyones' thoughts.

I think this will be true! I found these latest episodes (I actually watched 5-8) much easier to follow now that I have a handle on who the major players are. I guess I just found the series hard to get into and though I am not intimidated by the long posts here, like aya_honda, I'm actually glad to have the forum to help me understand what going on. I just don't have the time now to write a lot myself.

General comments on the series:

- the music is great, especially the opening sequence; sometimes I just watch it on YouTube to get my blood flowing
Quote:
Oh, and one last thing that may get me flamed... Victoria Harwood has a hot voice.

- She's great but my first thought is always Sir Integra Wingates Hellsing!

- The Union seem like a Fascist organization; wasn't there a similar organization alluded to in Ghost in the Shell SAC that was against cyberization and were essentially "flesh fundamentalists"?

- Onishi's wife is nuts

On episodes 5-7:
Quote:
At this point we still aren't given any hints as to what Raffia actually is.

I think it was mentioned that it was a kind of mold or fungus(?) that suppresess the immune system and natural rejection that would occur when introducing a foreign substance (through texhnolyz-ation presumably, as it is not just a normal prosthetic) into the body

- I thought a lot about the character's motivations, especially Yoshii. And why does he seem so outwardly affable yet also creepy? And what does he hope to gain by inciting all of this violence and playing all sides against each other? Quite a bit has been already mentioned about the death of Mari (I was also not immediately convinced she was dead; she looked like she OD'ed on something - maybe he gave her something?) but this part bothered me as well. I assumed he killed her so she wouldn't identify him in the future, but maybe "setting her free" is part of a larger plan, as yet unknown, to set the city of Lux free. And I don't know why or by whom but I keep feeling Yoshii was sent down to Lux to accomplish a mission of some kind. And this entity gave him the "guidebook." I could be wrong!

- I also wondered about Ran and what she sees in Ichise. Does she help him because of something she saw in a vision? And does she act on what she sees: to prevent or bring about some event? I also randomly wondered if she could see her own future.
Quote:
She says "good boy, good boy" further reinforcing the image of Ichise as a dog. I'll have more to say about Ran's apparent approval of Ichise's actions later on in the series.

This should be interesting!

- Doc seems to have continued interest in Ichise and acts to protect him, maybe to keep track of her new experiment or maybe a stronger feeling/attachment?

Quote:
Doc, seeing that her taste in men has failed her, decides to take the rat home.

spoiler[This may have been in epi 8, but it didn't work out too well for the rat.]

Looking forward to a Spectacle sometime soon!
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I wouldn't know how to express my feelings towards this character, except that 'I don't like him'. I haven't seen the series before and therefore I don't know what to expect from him in the future but for now, he is one in the least favourite characters list in this series.

At this point, after he had killed Mari, I hoped that someone would end his existence as soon as possible. Yes, I know that he's an anime character, but I hated his methods. Later in the series, when we get a bit more context, I mellowed toward him slightly. I'm not suggesting that everyone will have the same reaction, however.

Quote:
...and I can't forget about that scene (was it in episode 2?) when Ichise has the vision with him climbing those stairs and still having his limbs. Since then the stairs seem to me some sort of laitmotiv which appears along the series. But maybe I am reading too much into it.

It was episode 2, and I don't think you're reading too much into it. I'm probably not the best person to field this one when it comes time to discuss it, but I think that the discussion of the stairs will be central to addressing the meaning of the series as a whole.

fullmetal biologist wrote:

Quote:
At this point we still aren't given any hints as to what Raffia actually is.

I think it was mentioned that it was a kind of mold or fungus(?) that suppresess the immune system and natural rejection that would occur when introducing a foreign substance (through texhnolyz-ation presumably, as it is not just a normal prosthetic) into the body

You are correct. I suppose that what I was trying to say would have made more sense if I had said "At this point we still aren't given any hints as to what the source of Raffia actually is." We know some of its properties and uses, but we don't know its origin yet.

Quote:
She's great but my first thought is always Sir Integra Wingates Hellsing!

I was pleased to find a copy of Hellsing Ultimate volume 4 at Fry's last night. Wink

Quote:
And I don't know why or by whom but I keep feeling Yoshii was sent down to Lux to accomplish a mission of some kind. And this entity gave him the "guidebook." I could be wrong!

I don't think that Yoshii's actions are entirely his own, either. More on that later.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Relevant to the discussion of eyes, there is a moment in episode two when Ichise's eyes actually do change color. It's during the mutilation scene when Ichise, overcome by rage, charges toward the promoter's lover. When I first saw it I took the changed lighting in the scene to be a visual representation of his anger, but given the caretaker's comments and the discussion of eyes I though it important to mention the "change" when I noticed it during a re-watch of that episode.

I'm not sure if it's bad form to include images in this discussion thread (I can see where it could get out of hand), but I'm including a thumbnail of the image at 27:58 with a link to a slightly larger file for those who don't want to break out disc one again:

(click for larger size)

Possibly not the same sort of change that the caretaker referred to, but I think it's worth noting nonetheless.

edit one - changed the word "manifestation" to "representation," my initial word choice was off and it bothered me.

edit two - attached the reason for edit one to the post

Last edited by halfadeckshort on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Phew, I finally watched the next bunch of episodes and boy, does my head hurt. For now, I resorted to make notes on some things, but it didn't work out too well, so my post might be a bit muddled.

Quote:
There's something scary in Ichise's anger (animalistic, but also something more).

If you hurt Ichise, he will kill you, even if it would cost him his life, as it is shown various times. I think this unforgivingness is what makes his anger so intimidating. Shinji also mentioned something like this, when he said Organo didn't lay hand on him, so he must be special. Even Onishi seemed a little overwhelmed by the staring contest.

I find it interesting to note that Yoshii and Ichise have different ways of using violence. While Yoshii seems unwilling to use his power senselessly (When he does not kill the boys), and is rather pragmatic in that respect - which is shown by killing the couple in episode...5? and him saving his life when those boys stole the bag - Ichise is really emotional and doesn't think a lot. He returns the violence he receives.
On a sidenote, Yoshii showed some human emotions and some twisted morals, and became less biologically human via pseudo-texhnolyzation, while Ichise rarely shows emotion other than anger, and seemingly has no common set of morals, but initally refuses to become texhnolyzed because he wants to stay human. So, who is more human, I wonder?

The organization of the city is also really interesting. I am currently writing a paper on rituals in the medieval age, and there are quite a few parallels. Open conflict is being avoided when no side can see profit. However, the unwritten rules are so strict that some things (read: provocation, which Yoshii is responsible for) make your underlings so pro-conflict that you can't help as a ruler but start a war. The following part, the official declaration is also portrayed very clearly in Texhnolyze, when both sides - where the leaders actually want to avoid conflict - declare that there is no room for discussion.
I wonder whether the spectacle is a wordplay with spectacles, in a sense that afterwards, you can see things more clearly or something.
That the city is being controlled by an old man who probably talks to himself is somewhat...weird. I wonder which people in the city know about that, since it is an intimidating fact. I guess it is not only the light, but also some biological functions controlled by machines, but I can't be too sure about that right now. I hope we get some more details on that reeeal soon Smile
Is the old man inside the obelisk? Or is that where the Raffia is "harvested"? Or something entirely different? Does the obelisk talk to Onishi?

The above world...some things are hinted at, so I will try to lay out my theory. Onishi talks to that trainworker and it is implied he was some kind of VIP- but he left the above world nevertheless, and the people don't remember him. This could mean that the people have some kind of constant stimulus satiation*, which would mean there's always a need for more. That outsiders seem to incinerate (or catalyse) the spectacles might mean there is some kind of violence-journalism. At least, I think it might give a possible answer to the motives of Yoshii. I don't even expect a real answer to this, but I would bet the series will hint to the background of the above world.
The above world - Lux thing reminds me of Blade Runner, where the Earth has made a colony out of Mars. The government encourages people to go to Mars by giving them androids for free, which in Lux would be the Texhnolyzation technology. Although that one is obviously not for free, there might be some deception involved, since it seems to be quite hard to get out of Lux (At last that's how I understood what the "prostitute" said). However, life both on Earth and Mars is pathetic - which leads us to Texhnolyze again.

Some random thoughts:
-What is "The Class", and do they live in the mountains?
-The stair motif seems to be important, because Ichise's "development" is not often verbalised
-Does Ran put her fox mask on if she does not wish to see other people's futures?
-Changing eye color - I guess eyes are the most important part in any human's face, so losing control over them is kind of harsh. Texhnolyzation also affects your eyes, and it takes part of your humanity. Ah, the symbolism.

* I took that from an online dictionary, I hope it is right.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
...while Ichise rarely shows emotion other than anger, and seemingly has no common set of morals, but initally refuses to become texhnolyzed because he wants to stay human.

I think that Ichise's initial refusal to accept the new limbs has far more to do with his feelings on Raffia than his desire to remain fully human. Recall, in episode three, Ichise's violent outburst at Doc's mention of Raffia when, with his hand locked on her throat, he says: "Raffia... I've got nothing to do with that Raffia thing." The reason Ichise vehemently denies any association with Raffia will be made clearer in a later episode, but we already know from the scene I've quoted above that it has something to do with his father.

Quote:
I would bet the series will hint to the background of the above world

We get more than a hint much later in the series.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks, guys, for keeping the discussion going when I wasn't able to. I'll get back into the game after clearing some few extra things out of the way and make time to read all of your posts.

But for now, I thought I'd give ya an update:

Episodes 8-10: "Crucible," "Wiggle," & "Conclusion."

These episodes are for the week of Sep. 23-29, though I'd like to give an extra warning to those watching to NOT read any of the posts related to these episodes so as not to be spoiled for an important part of the series. If you've already been doing that the whole time (like me), then good job. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Will re-watch this week's episodes tonight. Responding to past comments for now...

halfadeckshort wrote:
I didn't mean for it to be in place of your post.

Ah, no, that's a compliment. Leaves less typing for me.

Quote:
I'm a bit conflicted on her abilities. I think that she can see much farther than that, but I can't say why until later on.

I agree... but do you think so at this point? I have a theory that Ran's powers do gradually mature; however, there's also another idea that I'll mention later on.

aya_honda wrote:
I haven't seen the series before and therefore I don't know what to expect from [Yoshii] in the future but for now, he is one in the least favourite characters list in this series.

Consider if you feel the same way when you're done with the show.

Quote:
I am constantly surprised by Ichise's strong will to live. For him it is something beyond the instinct for survival. He is so passionate about his life, no matter how much he endures, no matter how much suffering he must put up with, he is constantly fighting and this is something which truly amazes me. I don't think that I have seen before an anime character with such a strong will to live and fight for life.

While Ichise is the most straightforward characters of the main cast, I find him to be the most emotionally compelling. He has gone through all of his life living in an violent and turbulent city, most of it without a father. His mother slowly died and he was completely helpless to save her. He's had to get by fighting for others' amusement. He's used and looked down upon. He is homeless. He doesn't have anyone to care for or aid him in any way (until Ran does in episode five). He's been targeted by the ruling gang and has two of his limbs amputated. Everything seems to be against him.

Yet, in spite of all that, he still lives. Nothing is more precious to him than simply being alive.

Remarkable.

The whole episode only manages to amplify this struggle and the fact that Ran helps him is interesting enough. (I am also a little bit confused about how powerful Ran is). She succeeds in making him see the light and he climbs the stairs only to see those bars and then all of the sudden that urge to live kicks in again (plus a new super-powerful arm) and he breaks one just so he can get out. I was again stunned by the whole idea. And the follwoing series of events only succeeds in making me believe in Ichise's will to live even harder.

Quote:
In episode six he is finally coming to terms with his body. Here I have a question: what do you think about the constant appearance of stairs? It may be nothing to you, but to me it's starnge: Ichise always manages to climb stairs, which it sometimes look like an ultimate proof of endurance. Then Doc and Yoshii meet and stairs are involved again. Stairs are present all the time: and I can't forget about that scene (was it in episode 2?) when Ichise has the vision with him climbing those stairs and still having his limbs. Since then the stairs seem to me some sort of laitmotiv which appears along the series. But maybe I am reading too much into it.

Naw, the motif of stairs is there. It's an easy connection to make to ascension and descending. ("Descension" isn't a word?) It's an important recurring image that's used in interesting ways for the final stretch of the series...

fullmetal biologist wrote:
And what does [Yoshii] hope to gain by inciting all of this violence and playing all sides against each other?

Well, it's obvious that he wants a Spectacle... but to what end? This week's set of episodes will allow further insight into his motivations.

Quote:
I also wondered about Ran and what she sees in Ichise. Does she help him because of something she saw in a vision?

I can't say for now, but I would suggest that what first sparks Ran's interest in Ichise is curiosity: both to see if her vision is correct and how he will take to the situation.

Quote:
And does she act on what she sees: to prevent or bring about some event?

This is ambiguous (for something else related to her), but there's a key line in this episode set that gives a hint.

halfadeckshort wrote:
I don't think that Yoshii's actions are entirely his own, either. More on that later.

Mm. I'll definitely be interested in this, since I've no clue what you're alluding to...

Labbes wrote:
I find it interesting to note that Yoshii and Ichise have different ways of using violence. While Yoshii seems unwilling to use his power senselessly (When he does not kill the boys), and is rather pragmatic in that respect - which is shown by killing the couple in episode...5? and him saving his life when those boys stole the bag - Ichise is really emotional and doesn't think a lot. He returns the violence he receives.

Are you referring to ethical reasons for Yoshii's unwillingness, or him wanting to avoid attracting attention to himself? Because his amoral stance -- something that's evocative of Nietzsche, which I'll talk about in my first post after watching this week's episodes -- definitely indicates the latter.

Quote:
That the city is being controlled by an old man who probably talks to himself is somewhat...weird.

Well, it isn't controlled by him, but rather some aspects of it -- for instance, light -- are regulated.

Quote:
Is the old man inside the obelisk? Or is that where the Raffia is "harvested"?

The latter.

Quote:
Does the obelisk talk to Onishi?

Interesting idea. Don't forget it.

Quote:
Onishi talks to that trainworker...

You mean Yoshii?

Quote:
... and it is implied he was some kind of VIP- but he left the above world nevertheless, and the people don't remember him. This could mean that the people have some kind of constant stimulus satiation*, which would mean there's always a need for more.

Are you referring to the above world or Lux?

Quote:
What is "The Class", and do they live in the mountains?

The Class is a grouping of supposed elites who live in far better conditions than the people in Lux. This is made clear when it's revealed in episode six that Doc is one of them.

Quote:
Does Ran put her fox mask on if she does not wish to see other people's futures?

Can't say for now.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

halfadeckshort wrote:

Mm. I'll definitely be interested in this, since I've no clue what you're alluding to...

I worded that poorly. Yoshii's ideas and methods are his own, but I think that his actions in the city are part of something greater than himself. Rather than add to anyone's confusion with my crackpot theory (any more than I already have), I'll keep quiet until later and take my lumps for it then.

It is connected to the reason why I keep dodging your question of how far I think Ran can see into the future, though. If we were to base her abilities on episode one, it would seem that her vision is limited to mere minutes of prescience. If we interpret that same early scene in the context of her words at the end of episode ten, however, I'm not sure that we can say that her vision is that limited. I know that there's a logical leap involved with those two statements that I can't explain yet (based on where we are in the series). I just didn't want you to think that I was ignoring your question.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Labbes wrote:

Are you referring to ethical reasons for Yoshii's unwillingness, or him wanting to avoid attracting attention to himself? Because his amoral stance -- something that's evocative of Nietzsche, which I'll talk about in my first post after watching this week's episodes -- definitely indicates the latter.

I didn't even think about him not wanting to attract unnecessary attention. Silly me projected moral views onto him Very Happy
I will wait to see what the next bunch of episodes will add to my view of him.

Quote:
Quote:
Onishi talks to that trainworker...

You mean Yoshii?

That's what I get for writing a post when being tired as hell.

Quote:
Quote:
... and it is implied he was some kind of VIP- but he left the above world nevertheless, and the people don't remember him. This could mean that the people have some kind of constant stimulus satiation*, which would mean there's always a need for more.

I'm referring to the above world there.

Quote:
Quote:
What is "The Class", and do they live in the mountains?

The Class is a grouping of supposed elites who live in far better conditions than the people in Lux. This is made clear when it's revealed in episode six that Doc is one of them.

Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up, I was sure I missed something there.

Quote:
I think that Ichise's initial refusal to accept the new limbs has far more to do with his feelings on Raffia than his desire to remain fully human. Recall, in episode three, Ichise's violent outburst at Doc's mention of Raffia when, with his hand locked on her throat, he says: "Raffia... I've got nothing to do with that Raffia thing." The reason Ichise vehemently denies any association with Raffia will be made clearer in a later episode, but we already know from the scene I've quoted above that it has something to do with his father.

Thanks for correcting me on that, I should have made more notes on that. Happy to see that Ichise's background will be more important later on and not just in one episode. Not that I expected anything else Very Happy

I hope I will come around to watch the episodes this week. I'm so thrilled!

PS: The word is "descent", I think Smile
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Consider if you feel the same way when you're done with the show.

Yes, I know that many things can change (I think this is why I have said that 'for now' I don't like him). However it happened to me before to change my attitude towards a character so it won't be the last time I will be doing this. But for that I have still many episodes to go. So I will patiently wait to see what happens next.

HellKorn wrote:
While Ichise is the most straightforward characters of the main cast, I find him to be the most emotionally compelling. [...] Yet, in spite of all that, he still lives. Nothing is more precious to him than simply being alive.
Remarkable

I am happy that I am not the only one being fascinated by his passion for living and his ambition to stay alive no matter what. This is why when bad things continue to happen to him, on the one hand I am annoyed because I want to see him be given a break and on the other hand I am wondering about what he is going to do next time. (This is why I hope I will have time in the following days to watch the new episodes annnounced Smile )

The stairs may also stand for the every time when Ichise is struck to the ground he can rise himself back and even more powerful. The way this man succeeds in adapting himself for every new situation is stunning. Shocked
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I'm shocked.

This is one of the most important set of episodes in the series, and not one bit of discussion four days after it begins! (Granted, I could've attempted to cobble something, but life prevented me...) Is it because so much happens that it's too much to take in?

Anyhow, don't read on if you haven't seen these episodes yet...

Episode 08

- The first half of this episode is more or less fine in design, but characters look occasionally wonky in the second half. It's about the only time that there's inconsistencies like this in a series that more or less prides itself for consistent key animations.

- An important scene early on: Ran wakes up with a vision of Yoshii's bomb destroying the Rakan's den. She alerts Ichise. As they leave, Shinji asks why. Ran's response? "I saw it."

This is very, very important for a couple reasons, one of which does involve the romantic concept of destiny. However, it is nothing as trivial and simplistic as, "It was fated to be/preordained." More on that when we reach the end of this series...

- Ichise and Ran encounter Yoshii as they leave. When Ichise tries to hit our amoral puppet master, the latter dodges and tells him that he should be using his strength for something more focused. (Obviously Yoshii takes a fascination in Ichise's vitality.)

- Hirota cuts off all of the texhnolyzed limbs from Nakahara's men (the ones who set fire to the Salvation Union's HQ) and Onishi delivers them to Kimata. This is interesting not only because of they're offering of compensation with something that the Salvation Union detests, but also because it further shows Onishi adhering to the city's wishes that a Spectacle not occur.

- The shit hits the fan when members of each respective gang collide with one another, and Ichise joining in the fray.

- Something I'm trying to make sense of here: Ichise falling down the stairs just before he lashes out at Shinji is juxtaposed with the transplanted rat's leg failing. It could simply be a thematic parallel -- that's what it probably is -- but because of something I can't disclose yet, I wonder if this is an indication of Doc's influence on Ichise's type of texhnolyze.

- Anyone want to take a stab at Ichise's reaction after he goes all kinds of crazy to the various Rakan and Union members? Something to do with his adjustments to his texhnolyzed limbs? The rush that just overcame him? Both?

Episode 09

- The voice of the city extends Onishi's life here when he receives images of Yoshii's sniping position. However, Yoshii's failure to kill the Organo leader will lead to dire consequences for another soon.

- Mizuno is planning a sort of coup, with a divide between the other leaders who are in support of Onishi and those who would sooner see him fall from power. A bombing occurs at the Obelisk (the digging site of Raffia, as is finally confirmed), and the usurpers wish to put Onishi's neck out for the Class to cut.

- Speaking of the Class, because of the damage at the site, they have to come in. We're finally shown what a Class member looks like*: dressed in extravagant, pure white robes decked in metal with a hood to cover much of their pale face. (Also, look at the color of the eyes: blood red.)

*Doc is a member of the Class, though it's obviously implied that she is an oddity among them. She lives outside of the gates on the Hill and is far more healthy compared to their weakened state -- something Yoshii notes in the next episode.

- Goto, a sort of Grandfather for the Organo, is at last introduced. Also, Mizuno continues to push forward his coup.

- We meet Toyama, as well, who warns Onishi of the plot against him: that the Class is coming down from the Hill because of the bombing at the Obelisk, and that Organo heads want to shift all the blame on Onishi's shoulders.

Toyama is also the closest thing resembling a bishounen in this show. Of course, this is taken to an amusing extreme here by having Kohakura showing some obvious sexual attraction to his subordinate. (Hey, who needs yaoi fangirl interpretation here?)

- Yoshii is downright frightening here. After his failure to assassinate Onishi, he heads to the latter's house and taunts him over the phone with his wife's life. Mana attempts to defend herself, but fails when all she stabs is cold metal. Yoshii displays absolute anger for the first time in the series and kicks her against the glass, killing her. Organo members come in, but Yoshii manages to kill them all through a makeshift smokescreen.

Then, following these murders, Yoshii meets Sakimura and Ran again. Really important details revealed here: Yoshii is excited at the prospect of the Class' involvement and has plans to propel the chaos even further. Sakimura asks if all of this was part of his mission*; Yoshii doesn't care about the orders anymore. He wants to enlighten the people of Lux and reveal their strength to him.

(Anyone find Yoshii patting Ran's head with his gun to be darkly humorous? Also, I'm probably reading too much into it, but this action could be seen as symbolic of past choices and actions leading to recent consequences. Those who have seen the series before probably know what I'm alluding to.)

Episode 10

- Yoshii states that he wants to show a young man what the world of the Class is like. Obviously referring to Shinji here, considering their conversation on the rooftop from episode five. This will be brought up again, both in this episode and later.

- Onishi tells the old man in the bar that all of this reminds him of what happened ten years ago. Again, emphasizing the cyclical nature of the series, and also implying the nature and history of these Spectacles.

Also, on the subject of repetition: Lux is likely the Hell of Repetition. Read here for more, specifically: "The first hell is the realm of murderers. Here suffer those who kill for pleasure or desire. It is the Hell of Repetition where those who kill for pleasure or to fulfill some desire end up. These murders brag about their actions, having no appreciation of the value of life. This is not the destination of those who kill as a consequence of some other goal."

- Yoshii also observes that one can not go up against an organized group like the Organo without being united themselves. The Rakan's philosophy of free will also shows immediate consequences, because they cannot properly function as a working unit to tackle such revolutionary ideas. However, Shinji might still be able to take advantage of the situation because the Organo has more than one enemy, and right now they are about to undergo scrutiny from the Class.

- After knocking out some Rakan punks, Onishi demands information on Yoshii. His methods are rather extreme here (his emotions after Mana's death contributing to them), with stuffing a member's mouth with bullets and pulling out his lighter.

- The scene with Goto and his assistant is an important one. Firstly, it shows the Class' arrogance: the smell of the chamber is unpleasant to them, so it must be cleansed. Secondly, it reveals some of Goto's core values (which we'll come to see in upcoming episodes). He believes that should the Organo fall under a man such as Mizuno, one whose aims encapsulate only greed and power, that the organization will inevitability fall. He also doesn't think that Onishi is entirely in-line with the punishment of Nakahara's men, but maintaining stability rather than rushing headfirst into violence and egotism is obviously preferable. (He doesn't say this, of course, but it can be easily inferred.)

- Yoshii shows the Class representative to Shinji. He describes them as nothing but weak invalids. Their physical condition is a result of their implied lifestyle -- wallowing in decadence and distancing themselves from those in Lux. Keep this in mind because it will be important very soon.

- Yoshii's next step to causing further turbulence in Lux is to kill the Class representative. This would cause the underground world to erupt, involving all of the influential groups in Lux's activities. His goal is to "wake the people up" and have a leader emerge among them. There are obvious allusions to Nietzche and Stirner here.

- Really important info here: when the Class representative engages Goto in asking whether the Organo is capable of governing Lux, he tells him that if they lose Raffia then they lose their purpose. Raffia is the apparent purpose of Lux, something incredibly vital to their livelihood. It's heavily symbolic in multiple ways, some already introduced, others to come before the story finishes.

- Ran stops Sakimura from following Yoshii. She doesn't see a positive outcome here.

- Yoshii gives more hints to the state of the above world. As he has Onishi pinned down and at his mercy, he tells him, "Mr Onishi, it would be nice if you'd cry and scream, at least a little. Especially since I can't enjoy something like this above ground."

- We're shown Shinji running, apparently in the direction of the Hill. We're shown train tracks leading to the Class. Keep this in mind.

- Ichise knocks the fudge out of Yoshii, causing him to fall over the edge down to the hard floor below. Ran remarks that "nothing ever changes" before Sakimura puts Yoshii out of his misery. Again, remember this for later.

Labbes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm referring to the above world there.

Ah, alright.

Wait and see. While we haven't been given too much information yet, for what few hints Yoshii offers the above world seems to be very different than what is going on in Lux.

Quote:
PS: The word is "descent", I think Smile

Yeah, I know, but it's still odd to me. Ascension also implies the lack of "scension," yet the latter isn't a word.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd give people a little more chance to discuss before I started throwing my crazy out there, but....

EP 8:

HellKorn wrote:
- Something I'm trying to make sense of here: Ichise falling down the stairs just before he lashes out at Shinji is juxtaposed with the transplanted rat's leg failing. It could simply be a thematic parallel -- that's what it probably is -- but because of something I can't disclose yet, I wonder if this is an indication of Doc's influence on Ichise's type of texhnolyze.

While it could be a reaction to Doc's methods, I wonder if there's something else going on. Does the simultaneous failure of the rat's transplant and Ichise's Texhnolyze seemingly going haywire indicate that Ichise is being influenced in some way? See below for a little more detail.

Quote:
- Anyone want to take a stab at Ichise's reaction after he goes all kinds of crazy to the various Rakan and Union members? Something to do with his adjustments to his texhnolyzed limbs? The rush that just overcame him? Both?

If you pay attention to Ichise's eyes during the fight, it appears that he is alternately shocked and gleeful at the carnage that he is participating in. This doesn't appear to be just his normal rage.

To me, there are two ways that we can read Ichise's entry into the fray. The most obvious is that Ichise reacts to the setting: a large crowd surrounds a single opponent (as Shinji stands between the Union and Onishi) calling for blood. This setting parallels Ichise's memories of the fight in episode one, and presumably a good deal of his adult life. Thrust into the "ring" again, Ichise reacts the only way he knows how. Read this way, his reaction at the end of the fight seems to be one of horror as he takes in what he has done, screaming at his reversion to his feral nature.

Another way to read the scene relates to my question above about Ichise being influenced. If he is "led" into the fight by the failure of his leg, which pitches him down the stairs, and the chaos that his interface seemingly experiences, then I see his reaction at the end of the fight to be a combination of horror and outrage. Horror at himself for what he has done, throwing away his restraint and negating all the control he has been trying to learn, and outrage at being manipulated.

I'll admit at this point in the series I can't bring a whole lot of evidence to support this second theory, but recall that just before Onishi pulls Ichise into the car, Ichise is staring wide-eyed at the "sky" above the city. I can't have been the only one to see a silhouette in the smoke around 1:30:12, can I? (I'll post an unaltered screen cap if requested.)

Okay, you're all free to call me crazy now.

One other thing though, what do you make of the fact that the Obelisk, at least its physical structure, was entirely absent from this episode?

EP 9:

Quote:
(Anyone find Yoshii patting Ran's head with his gun to be darkly humorous? Also, I'm probably reading too much into it, but this action could be seen as symbolic of past choices and actions leading to recent consequences. Those who have seen the series before probably know what I'm alluding to.)

His patting her on the head also seems somewhat dismissive. I think that his attitude towards Ran allows her a degree of freedom in these events that would not otherwise be possible. After all, Yoshii has proven himself willing to remove anyone who is an obstacle to his plans.

EP 10:

Quote:
Also, on the subject of repetition: Lux is likely the Hell of Repetition. Read here for more, specifically: "The first hell is the realm of murderers. Here suffer those who kill for pleasure or desire. It is the Hell of Repetition where those who kill for pleasure or to fulfill some desire end up. These murders brag about their actions, having no appreciation of the value of life. This is not the destination of those who kill as a consequence of some other goal."

Interesting. I'll have to do some more research on the imagery associated with these hells (Eastern religion and symbolism is not a strong point for me, which is unfortunate for me and probably painfully obvious to everyone else), but it seems to me that the sewers (where Ichise lurked in episode one and where he was thrown in episode five) contain some of the "traditional" imagery of hell in the mounds of limbs that Ichise wades through and passes by.

Quote:
- Yoshii also observes that one can not go up against an organized group like the Organo without being united themselves.

I'll bring this up again later, I think that the basis for an extremely important parallel is established here.

Ran's words at the end of episode 10 seem extremely important to me as well. The English dub makes the line a little more pronounced, "after all, nothing ever changes" versus the subtitled translation "after all, nothing changes." It'll be a few more episodes before I expand more on what I think Ran's role in these first ten episodes has been, but I think it's safe to say that she is far more than a mere observer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10