• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: Texhnolyze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
I'll admit at this point in the series I can't bring a whole lot of evidence to support this second theory, but recall that just before Onishi pulls Ichise into the car, Ichise is staring wide-eyed at the "sky" above the city. I can't have been the only one to see a silhouette in the smoke around 1:30:12, can I?

You mean this?

Feel free to outline the silhouette you see, as I'm not making it out.

Quote:
One other thing though, what do you make of the fact that the Obelisk, at least its physical structure, was entirely absent from this episode?

Well, events come to a boiling point, and no one is heeding Onishi's warning, so the Obelisk isn't an immediate factor in episode eight (though it comes back to importance in nine).

Quote:
(Eastern religion and symbolism is not a strong point for me, which is unfortunate for me and probably painfully obvious to everyone else)

Well, considering Texhnolyze is incredibly reliant on Buddhism, it would help to at least have a general idea of that religion. There's a LOT of Buddhist symbolism, and much of the series makes a lot more sense once the viewer recognizes it. (One of the more obvious points so far is Ran's flower; it resembles a Japanese lotus flower to me, though that shot isn't the best example.)

Quote:
It'll be a few more episodes before I expand more on what I think Ran's role in these first ten episodes has been, but I think it's safe to say that she is far more than a mere observer.

Anyone who has been paying careful attention should realize that within this first half (even though her importance will gradually be revealed to be greater). To clarify something I mentioned previously: Ran's vision has already had immediate impacts to Lux. If she does not see the Elder of Gabe being killed, then he and Yoshii may not live. If Yoshii does not live, then the bloodlust might not have escalated (certainly not so quickly and destructively). Also, her aid to Ichise after seeing what he'll face in the sewers, as well as leading him away from Yoshii's bomb, keeps him alive to spark an outbreak of violence among the city. He is also the one that kills Yoshii and saves Onishi.

Important to keep all that in mind.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
I thought I'd give people a little more chance to discuss before I started throwing my crazy out there, but....

Aw, don't wait for us. Wink Sad (Thanks for the comment elsewhere, too.)

I'm pretty worn out from today, so this is kind of a lame post compared to normal. But hey, at least I got around to it! I've quickly read through all the posts made since I haven't been on so now I have a better understanding of the past few episodes, but I don't have the time or energy to comment on everything.

After episode 10... Wow. Yoshii is craaazy! Ever since he was introduced in the beginning, I would have never seen this side of him coming. And here I thought he was gonna be one of the main "heroes" that lasts till the very end. Certainly an interesting turn of events. I also switched from not really caring for Onishi to now really liking him as a character. It's weird how these things turn out cause of just a few episodes.

HellKorn wrote:
Toyama is also the closest thing resembling a bishounen in this show.

Psh. Ichise's better...

HellKorn wrote:
Ichise knocks the fudge out of Yoshii, causing him to fall over the edge down to the hard floor below. Ran remarks that "nothing ever changes" before Sakimura puts Yoshii out of his misery. Again, remember this for later.

This is one of my favorite scenes of the series so far. That Ichise both saved Onishi (who I didn't want to die) and punched the daylights out of Yoshii (who I didn't like any more) was just amazing for me to watch.

The whole scene when Yoshii goes all crazy on Onishi's wife was pretty memorable, too, especially because of Onishi's reaction. Yoshii was overall pretty scary during this scene and many others.

halfadeckshort wrote:
Okay, you're all free to call me crazy now.

How's that crazy? Though I don't remember all the details of the fight, everything you said made sense to me. Either that, or I must be crazy, too. Which would make a lot of sense lately...

I'll keep thinking about the other things you guys said and hopefully make some comments later. (Though obviously I can't promise anything... BUT I have Fall Break coming up here in just another week!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
halfadeckshort wrote:
Okay, you're all free to call me crazy now.

How's that crazy? Though I don't remember all the details of the fight, everything you said made sense to me. Either that, or I must be crazy, too. Which would make a lot of sense lately...

Either that or they're just really, really smart and we're just really, really stupid. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyways, why haven't I been posting at all in this thread do you ask? Well in combination with the fact that I've been as busy as a dog (barely will be able to have the time to make it to ep. 10 today) I think aya_honda pretty much summed it up for me:

Quote:
Well, I am not intimidated by the lengthy posts, but by the high quality of them. Or the things that I wanted to say have already been pinned down. Plus you guys seem to understand this series much better than I do. I usually see the episodes then read your posts so I can have a clearer picture on everything.

So there you have it, really. Only difference though is that my basic problem seems to be that I just simply can't think of anything to talk about, and I don't know why. Heck, I even have a hard time recalling what happened in the episode to even just do some kind of episode summary or something....... I think this series is really starting to kick me in the rear end, just like Lain did, though this one definitely has been more straightforward, I'll give it that. I will say though that in reading your posts they've all been helpful, but even then I just can't seem to think of anything to talk about for some reason! Anime dazed I'm seriously considering just dropping out of this discussion for now unless I really do eventually have anything to say, but in the meanwhile just kind of lurking, following the episodes and reading all your comments the best I can. Sorry, but I just can't keep up with you guys! Anime dazed
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
You mean this?

That's it. I think any outlining I might do would obscure it, perhaps a reduced image size with a little anti-aliasing thrown in might make it clearer:

(click for slightly larger size)

Since we've only got a couple hours left before it's open season on the next set of episodes I'll say that this is what I think Ichise asks Ran about in the next episode.

Quote:
Well, considering Texhnolyze is incredibly reliant on Buddhism, it would help to at least have a general idea of that religion. There's a LOT of Buddhist symbolism, and much of the series makes a lot more sense once the viewer recognizes it. (One of the more obvious points so far is Ran's flower; it resembles a Japanese lotus flower to me, though that shot isn't the best example.)

I've been doing some reading, I just don't know symbols in this context as well as I would if we were doing an entirely Western reading. I mean, the multi-level chandelier in the room where Goto meets the Class representative might mean something, but there seem to be two spokes too many, or two too few for it to be a representation of a Dharma Wheel, for instance. I'm not throwing that out there to be facetious, I'm just trying to get my filters properly aligned. And I'm with you on the Lotus flower.

Quote:
Anyone who has been paying careful attention should realize that within this first half (even though her importance will gradually be revealed to be greater). To clarify something I mentioned previously: Ran's vision has already had immediate impacts to Lux.

The reason that I belabor what seems to be obvious so far is that I hope to make a point soon that won't seem so obvious to some... my theory that I've been thinking through since we started talking about Yoshii's notes (not that the theory really has much to do with them). If we're talking all the way up to episode 13 this week I'll lay out why I think that Ran saw well past Yoshii's death before she ever led him to Gabe.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Aw, don't wait for us. Wink Sad (Thanks for the comment elsewhere, too.)

I'll try to be a little more timely this round, and you're welcome. Smile

Quote:
That Ichise both saved Onishi (who I didn't want to die) and punched the daylights out of Yoshii (who I didn't like any more) was just amazing for me to watch.

I felt a great deal of satisfaction when Ichise whomped Yoshii the first time I saw the episode, but as I've said before, I felt differently a bit later in the series. I think that the series does an excellent job of building and releasing tension and emotion, however. Episode 10 could have been entitled "catharsis" for the way it drained the malevolence I had been feeling toward Yoshii. In the context of the series, I think the Spectacles were originally intended to function in this way for Lux as a whole. The Spectacle, a ritualized and visible display of intense violence, would allow the participants to vent their anger, and would allow the spectators to have their anger vicariously purged as well. On a smaller scale, the fights that Ichise used to compete in serve the same function. Of course, I think the Spectacles serve another function as well, but that doesn't become clear until later.

BrothersElric wrote:
Sorry, but I just can't keep up with you guys! Anime dazed

My opinions on the series certainly aren't based on a single viewing. I spend a lot of time watching and rewatching the episodes to make them make sense to me. Maybe I'm just slow, but this series is also extremely rich. Heck, I noticed things I didn't see before in the scene with Ichise and the promoter's lover the last time I saw Episode one that I didn't see in the first ten times through that sequence when I made my first post about it (seriously - the empty can that Yoshii discards is another perfect parallel for the woman's emptiness, her body even flies off Ichise at the same angle as the discarded can, and I didn't even process that earlier on). What I'm trying to say is, stick with it. Offer up anything you think is important here, because even the smallest of details can be significant, and you may help someone see something that they might have missed.

edited to fix my image link

Last edited by halfadeckshort on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Finally, holidays are coming closer and I have written my final test today. Hurray, I've got time for Texhnolyze now! Very Happy

Watched episode 8-10 yesterday, to distract myself a little (much) from Latin grammar. Some random thoughts I had:

Episode 8

I didn't pay much notice to the music in the series until now, but when Ran and Ichise leave the cafe, there was that electronic guitar sound. I don't know what it's called in English, it is the sound that remains usually before a song fades out. I seriously hope you guys know what I mean, since I can't think of a particular song right now.
Anyhow, Ichise's emotional condition might be hyped up here already and it only becomes obvious in the fight later on.
Maybe I am reading too much into this^^

The declaration of "war" by the Alliance reminded me very much of a speech Goebbels, a Nazi leader held once. The audience of the alliance leader responds in very unusual ways, like all shouting a verb at the same time. This does not happen without instructions, since usually people shout stuff like "YEAH" or so. This indicates that the speech is used for propagandistic purposes and/or does have another audience besides Alliance members. I don't think this is actually really important, but it does show that the city works by rules we can't really understand.
Again, I might be reading too much into this.

Ichise against the Alliance or Rakan or both...an interesting and quite disturbing scene. I don't remember, so I will ask this: Was there a glass not in pieces when Ran and Ichise left the bar?
Ichise gains (or has gained) a hold over his powers and obviously enjoys killing. When there's nobody left, he looks to the sky and sees a light. I think this means he feels complete, happy. Only a moment later, some kind of human sense kicks in and he screams - I agree with halfadeckshort (I think, sorry if I'm wrong) here, that he does not want to go back to his feral self. Later on, it is made clear he, too, does not want a festival, so maybe he has been "enlightened" through the pain he felt and the help of Ran.
I think that, as in so many shonen titles, responsibility comes with power, and Ichise reflects that here.
I find the idea of Ichise being "controlled" interesting, but somewhat without evidence --- yet? Very Happy

Episode 9

Yoshii? What the hell? I find his crazy way of thinking repelling and yet fascinating.
When he kills Mana, he seems to regret to have killed her so fast - which is again stated in episode 10, where he wants Onishi to show signs of living before he dies.
The "enlightenment" he wants to bring to the people is not in a Kant way. While he does want the people to do something themselves, his "enlightenment" does not circle around thinking, but use of power. He wants all the people of Lux to get to know their own power and use it in a festival, in a massive slaughter. Kind of a darwinistic way of thinking.
Yoshii does not seem to be the only spectator from above, at least one other guy is shown. Yoshii also states in episode 10 that he can't enjoy that above, so obviously there is some kind of twisted law above.
I also think that, if the festival should break out, there would be a sick kind of tourism, with people from above coming to see the "brutes" kill each other.

Episode 10

Things get somewhat clearer here. I think that the "setting-things-in-motion" part of the series ends here (The title also suggests that, too) and I can't wait to see what will happen now. I sure didn't expect such quick turns in three episodes.
If the last festival was ten years ago, Onishi must have done a brilliant job, seeing that a lot of people don't like him. It took an extremely skilled outsider to incite the wish for a festival, which is somewhat interesting (More on that, later).
Yoshii wants three more-or-less equal parties so that the festival has as much bloodshed as possible. To do that, he wants to weaken the Organo (through killing the Class guy) and strengthen the Rakan. Makes sense, and although I didn't expect anything different, it's still really cruel.

The fight between Onishi and Yoshii was awesome. Only in that moment, I got how different they were, in ways of acting and thinking. While Yoshii regretted to have killed Mana so quickly, Onishi seemed sad that she was killed at all and cared for her in a heart-breaking manner. While Yoshii messes up the Status Quo totally, Onishi preserves it and avoids conflicts to change things slowly.
Still, Yoshii claims they want the same thing. Let's take a closer look.
In history, there are theoretically two ways of change. The first would be the Revolution. This is what happened in America and France. People rise up against their governments and put up a new one. The Revolution is always from bottom-to-top, so the people set it in motion.
To avoid that, and the bloodshed involved, there is a second way of changing things, the Reform. While in a Greek sense, the word meanings overlap, the Reform is what can be found in any democratic country today, like the USA, France, or Germany. It can also be found in ancient Rome or Prussia. With a reform, things change more slowly and from top-to-bottom, so while there is the demand from the people, it is the politicians (or king/emperor) who create the Reform and set it in motion.

While Yoshii and Onishi seem to stand for Revolution, and Reform, respectively, I still don't think it is entirely right. While we know the means of both, we don't really know their reasons, and so we don't know their ultimate goals. Yoshii seems to want spectative pleasure or something like that, while Onishi seems to want to protect something, but I can't be 100% sure on that.

Thanks for reading this, i hope it has been at least a little interesting and thought-provoking Smile

PS: Don't let Onishi die! Please! The voice of reason has to remain!
PPS: I forgot: Since Onishi actually "lost" the fight, I don't doubt there will be another festival.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
September 30–Oct 6 below:

Episodes 11-13: "Vagrant," "Precognition," & "Vista."

Guess what? I actually have time to watch these episodes today! Very Happy I'm expecting something big to go down while Onishi's taken a hit and now that Yoshii's out of the picture.

@halfadeckshort: I also noticed the silhouette, but I couldn't really tell what it was. At first I thought it was supposed to be the Obelisk, but it's definitely not. You say we might find out in this next set of episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
@halfadeckshort: I also noticed the silhouette, but I couldn't really tell what it was. At first I thought it was supposed to be the Obelisk, but it's definitely not. You say we might find out in this next set of episodes?

I think that there are a couple of ways to interpret the shape/figure in the smoke, but we don't find out about the most likely source in the next few episodes. In Episode 11, Ichise asks Ran about something that he had seen, and this is the only visual cue that we've been given that fits.

Labbes wrote:
I didn't pay much notice to the music in the series until now, but when Ran and Ichise leave the cafe, there was that electronic guitar sound. I don't know what it's called in English, it is the sound that remains usually before a song fades out. I seriously hope you guys know what I mean, since I can't think of a particular song right now.

Feedback?

Quote:
The declaration of "war" by the Alliance reminded me very much of a speech Goebbels, a Nazi leader held once. The audience of the alliance leader responds in very unusual ways, like all shouting a verb at the same time. This does not happen without instructions, since usually people shout stuff like "YEAH" or so. This indicates that the speech is used for propagandistic purposes and/or does have another audience besides Alliance members.

From this and earlier episodes I'm thinking that their responses are conditioned/indoctrinated.

Quote:
Ichise against the Alliance or Rakan or both...an interesting and quite disturbing scene. I don't remember, so I will ask this: Was there a glass not in pieces when Ran and Ichise left the bar?

There were several glasses in pieces and three unbroken ones.

Quote:
I find the idea of Ichise being "controlled" interesting, but somewhat without evidence --- yet? Very Happy

Yet. Wink

Quote:
Still, Yoshii claims they want the same thing.

Yoshii says they are trying to do the same thing. I read this as a continuation of Yoshii's earlier words, when he tells Onishi that his wife was "already half-dead, anyway. All because of you, Mr. Onishi." He then goes on to say that his way (I'm inferring "way of killing" here) is far more advanced than Onishi's.

Quote:
While Yoshii and Onishi seem to stand for Revolution, and Reform, respectively, I still don't think it is entirely right. While we know the means of both, we don't really know their reasons, and so we don't know their ultimate goals. Yoshii seems to want spectative pleasure or something like that, while Onishi seems to want to protect something, but I can't be 100% sure on that.

While Yoshii lines up fairly well with the idea of revolution, I'm not sure that Onishi maps to reform quite as well. In the episodes up till 10, he seems to me to more be a force for maintaining order and preserving the status quo: balance instead of change. I'll elaborate on this before too long.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
(Splitting up the post again.)

I like the low-key tone of these episodes. It's a nice breather from the roller coaster of the previous episode set. Episode 11 is fairly lax and the tension gradually begins to build up again in episode 12.

Then, episode 13 comes along: things start to get a bit, let's say, weird.

Episode 11

- Pretty straightforward episode. Mizuno continues his plotting as the Organo starts to weaken from the aftereffects of Yoshii's machinations. The two meetings he holds with the Salvation Union and the Rakan, respectively, are funny, particularly Kimata's remark. "What was that?"

- After saving the leader of the organization and ridding the city of Yoshii, Ichise is now part of the Organo. He works with Toyama under Kohakura before being "given" to Onishi -- though he comes to the latter of his own will, as he remarks. For the first time in his life he's cooperating with others in a unit.

- Gurayama -- the man who told the story about the people's eye color changing back in episode six -- is talking to Ran. She tells him that nothing ever changes as we're shown superimposed images of Sakimura and Yoshii as a dragonfly takes flight. (Oh yeah, dragonflies are symbolic here, too. More on that later.)

- Toyama reveals his past to Ichise as they go through the slums of Lux (and considering the city as a whole is rather unsavory...). Through his childhood he suffered sexual abuse from his father and was brought down by the surrounding residents who were jealous of those with power yet did nothing to better themselves. He was eventually taken in and essentially saved by Kohakura, and he is willing to endure anything in order to pay off that debt to him.

- Toyama asks Ichise what he plans to do. Ichise does not answer him, and only when he is transferred to Onishi does he come to an answer: that he doesn't know what he wants, but he doesn't want to go back where he came from.

- The episode ends as Ichise catches a glimpse of one of Ran's flowers, and eventually finds her. He asks her what she's seen. Her reply is a question: what would Ichise do if he knew his future? He doesn't know. The conversation finishes as Ran tells him that she doesn't want to see the future anymore.

Episode 12

- The worker at the Obelisk remarks on the phone that their supply of Raffia is running out. Uh-oh.

- Ran's easy movements about the city are made clear when we're shown citizens of Gabe surrounding the Rakan punk. They also remark about reporting back to the Mountain...

- Ichise returns to the dig site with Toyama. He meets a man there who remembers his father, Ikuse. Ichise tells him that his father sold out his friends for money. He died a pathetic and, in Ichise's mind, deserves. (Ichise's only partially telling the truth here. I think he does feel that his father shouldn't have sold out his friends. Still, considering his reaction about his mother's death, he feels far more anger at his father for abandoning him.)

- Toyama explains that the people of Lux are allowed to live because of Raffia. He openly wonders whether the people in the above world truly need Raffia that badly. He also goes into the history and explains that when the first generation of people were placed in Lux, they discovered a large number of bodies buried there.

Keep all of this in mind, because they'll because utterly crucial towards the end of this series.

- Kohakura and Onishi as so shiny! They also talk about recent developments and the above world. Kohakura remarks that he found parts of Yoshii's goal desirable, and that he's curious about actually seeing the Class. Onishi warns him to not make such statements so carelessly.

- Ichise spots Ran amidst a crowd and grabs her. (His grip is also too harsh; his emotions cause his control to break.) She tells him that she's been avoiding him because she doesn't want to see his future. People of Gabe start to encircle them, but suddenly Ran freaks out and faints. The old man from the mine beckons him to his quarters and allows them to rest. (He's also one of Gabe, as Ichise spots the dark blue fox mask on his fridge.) He informs him that Ikuse didn't sell out the others; instead, he was framed by those who were selling the Raffia illegally.

- Also important: Ichise receives flashbacks alluding to the fact that his mother knew that his father was innocent. He asks, "Why are you showing me this?" with a cut to Ran opening her eyes. Hmm...

- When Ichise and Toyama return to the fighting ring that Ichise had worked for, they're pointed to a group of men who have been spending a large sum of money recently. While Toyama goes over to hassle them, Ichise has a flashback and realizes that these were the men who framed his father. He then decides to go ape-shit insane and kills them all, as we're shown images of Ran leaving the city.

- Would anybody like to encounter this in a dark alley? Any takers? No?

Episode 13

- We're finally shown glimpses of Kano. One of his comments in this opening scene is that the Mothers are unable to see or do anything now. More on this character later.

- Toyama offers one last piece of advice to Ichise: lose the tie.

- Onishi tells the Elder of Gabe that the Voice of the City has been silent recently. It has been silent for far too long. The Elder responds in a manner that suggests this is an inevitability. He talks about how Lux has been destroyed and rebuilt in its long history, and that this is simply part of the cycle. Onishi still wants to know if he can do anything; the Elder tells him that Lux's fate cannot be averted, but there is still something he can do...

- ... Which leads a ceremony in which Ran tells Onishi the future of him and the city. She tells him that that which he lost in the past will destroy him. The city and "he" are about to crumble. Onishi inquires as to who "he" is, but Ran does not wish to see anymore.

- Meanwhile, Ichise faces an observation by an older Organo member (sorry, can't be arsed to figure out his name from the credits). Ichise doesn't seem to mesh in well with the Organo, and appears better off alone. The Organo member concludes his advice by telling Ichise to get out while he still can.

- The Elder tells Onishi of how there is a female born in every generation who becomes the seer. It is the duty of those in Gabe to follow her warnings, though Ran is unwilling to accept that responsibility: she doesn't want to face what may happen to herself and others. Onishi tells him that it's rare to find somehow who will readily resign to destiny; the Elder cautions him that that language is his, not the people of Gabe's.

- Ichise sees a building where weapons are being manufactured and collected. He alerts Onishi via Hirota. The Organo leader demands to know who the people of Gabe are making these weapons for; he receives no response. A Salvation Union member strikes Ichise from above, though the latter is saved when the older Organo member shoots the former. Onishi wonders who could possibly afford such a vast amount of weaponry: he strikes out the Rakan and Salvation Union. Ichise suggests that they "ask them directly."

- Ichise asks Onishi why he's taken him under his wing, as he can imagine that he's only a burden. Onishi tells him that he is part of the Organo and by extension a reflection -- so, it is the leader's responsibility to make sure that he does not step out of line. He tells Ichise to learn to control himself and not do anything rash. Ichise notes Onishi's legs, though the latter reveals that he willingly gave them up. Onishi recalls a boy who was born with disfigured legs, and that he was more or less coerced into giving them to the boy. All in all, he considers the sacrifice to have paid off, because he is able to hear the Voice of the City and has risen up to the top of the Organo because of that. He affirms that the texhnolyzed limbs are not mere substitutes: they are his legs. Onishi ends by stating that Ichise needs to learn this, as well.

- The older Organo member betrays Onishi and Ichise, though is stopped and shot himself. He tells them that the reason he left the organization is because the security that's been promised to him is far greater than what the Organo currently offers.

- Ran, The Elder and other men of Gabe appear before Onishi and Ichise as the former Organo member hides away. Onishi asks what's happening, and the Elder tells him that he'll know soon enough. Ichise reaches out to Ran, but is stopped. Ran at last reveals her vision to Ichise: he will destroy everything, hurt many people and end up alone. Ichise says that he would never become something like that -- Ran wishes that were the case, but informs him that things she has seen are beginning to come true.

- An observation that may go by unnoticed: there's a sort of phosphorescent glow to Ran as she appears in front of Onishi and Ichise. The only other time we've seen that glow on any character is from the Class representative. I'll post shots if anyone wants to compare them.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Toyama is also the closest thing resembling a bishounen in this show.

Psh. Ichise's better...

But Toyama has purple hair and a sexy voice; ergo, he is the bishounen!

BrothersElric wrote:
Either that or they're just really, really smart and we're just really, really stupid. Anime smile + sweatdrop

To be honest, I don't know how much of what's coming up is going to be implied evidence and what's speculation on my part. Well, that's not true: a lot of what is mentioned in 13 and part of 12 (as well as bits and pieces by Yoshii) does confirm a few of my theories for later events. But just know that these ideas come from having seen the series previously a couple times and having the high interest to toy around with them.

I do like to see any type posts about this series, though! Please do not hesitate to contribute anything, as halfadeckshort already said.

halfadeckshort wrote:
Since we've only got a couple hours left before it's open season on the next set of episodes I'll say that this is what I think Ichise asks Ran about in the next episode.

Eh, I think that's over-complicating things a bit. Ran's reply seems pretty much in-line with what she's said elsewhere about the future. She's purposefully avoiding her visions because she does not like what she sees.

Quote:
If we're talking all the way up to episode 13 this week I'll lay out why I think that Ran saw well past Yoshii's death before she ever led him to Gabe.

okay lay it on me

Quote:
In the context of the series, I think the Spectacles were originally intended to function in this way for Lux as a whole. The Spectacle, a ritualized and visible display of intense violence, would allow the participants to vent their anger, and would allow the spectators to have their anger vicariously purged as well. On a smaller scale, the fights that Ichise used to compete in serve the same function. Of course, I think the Spectacles serve another function as well, but that doesn't become clear until later.

I'm not really spoiling anything, but I am retroactively speculating with a comment made in episode 12: spoiler[Do you think it has to do with what Toyama tells Ichise down at the digging site: that they found piles of dead bodies there?]

I also think another purpose that the Spectacles serve is what Yoshii aims for -- to have a leader rise among the survivors -- and what the Elder of Gabe alludes to in his exchange with Onishi in episode 13: that the "destroyer" essentially becomes the new ruler, until he is eventually destroyed. Very cyclical, and also something important that will come up later.

Labbes wrote:
The declaration of "war" by the Alliance reminded me very much of a speech Goebbels, a Nazi leader held once. The audience of the alliance leader responds in very unusual ways, like all shouting a verb at the same time. This does not happen without instructions, since usually people shout stuff like "YEAH" or so. This indicates that the speech is used for propagandistic purposes and/or does have another audience besides Alliance members. I don't think this is actually really important, but it does show that the city works by rules we can't really understand.

Naw, it's important. The type of conditioning is very common by groups who have been delegated to the poorer lot in life. Those in the Salvation Union are united against one common cause: texhnolyze. It's something generally reserved for the privileged, and they likely believe that this intermingling with technology hampers us from seeing the truth and attaining salvation (hence their name).

I'd like to elucidate more, but I'll refrain until the problem of spoilers is gone.

Quote:
Later on, it is made clear he, too, does not want a festival, so maybe he has been "enlightened" through the pain he felt and the help of Ran.

Interesting thought -- keep it in mind!

Quote:
I think that, as in so many shonen titles, responsibility comes with power, and Ichise reflects that here.

Well, that's more of a universal value than something unique to shounen series (though it's common for them). There's something different here with Ichise and his relationship with texhnolyze, though.

Quote:
The "enlightenment" he wants to bring to the people is not in a Kant way.

Something more akin to another German philosopher, aye?

Quote:
Yoshii also states in episode 10 that he can't enjoy that above, so obviously there is some kind of twisted law above.

Mm. Yoshii's hints to the state of the above world should definitely be noted. There's obviously something just as bizarre with its current state to develop an amoral anarchist like Yoshii who wants people to "wake up" and realize their true strength.

halfadeckshort wrote:
Labbes wrote:

While Yoshii lines up fairly well with the idea of revolution, I'm not sure that Onishi maps to reform quite as well. In the episodes up till 10, he seems to me to more be a force for maintaining order and preserving the status quo: balance instead of change. I'll elaborate on this before too long.

I don't entirely agree here: one crucial part of Onishi's character is his dependence on the Voice of the City (I dunno, I just feel like it should be capitalized) to dictate the action. I don't think of his attitude as purely conservative (in the dictionary definition of the word, not the American one) in that he's rejecting of change.

On the other hand, he does display a noticeable shortcoming of that kind of thought: in an attempt to maintain the status quo, he is unable to truly solve a problem when it escalates to the point of inevitability. He has abated those involved for a while to refrain from a Spectacle because the Voice of the City does not wish for one; however, when a foreign element (Yoshii) is thrown into the mix, his actions are futile. He does not always consider factors beyond his control -- something that will be elaborated on in the next set of episodes.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I like the low-key tone of these episodes.

These episodes were a nice change of pace. It was also nice to see Ran developed a bit more.

Quote:
The two meetings he holds with the Salvation Union and the Rakan, respectively, are funny, particularly Kimata's remark. "What was that?"

I think that Kimata's reaction actually made me laugh harder than anything else thus far. Priceless. Smile

Quote:
- Toyama reveals his past to Ichise as they go through the slums of Lux (and considering the city as a whole is rather unsavory...). Through his childhood he suffered sexual abuse from his father and was brought down by the surrounding residents who were jealous of those with power yet did nothing to better themselves. He was eventually taken in and essentially saved by Kohakura, and he is willing to endure anything in order to pay off that debt to him.

Toyama also reveals that he went so far as to mutilate his foot (leading to its Texhnolyzation) in order to separate himself from his past.

Quote:
- Would anybody like to encounter this in a dark alley? Any takers? No?

I realize that this was mostly rhetorical, but no thanks. Wink

Quote:
- Toyama offers one last piece of advice to Ichise: lose the tie.

While sensible advice in itself (I'm anti-tie myself in most cases), I think Toyama was trying to tell Ichise not to emulate Onishi, the most prominent tie-wearer in the Organo. As with most things in the series, this will come up again.

Quote:
Quote:
If we're talking all the way up to episode 13 this week I'll lay out why I think that Ran saw well past Yoshii's death before she ever led him to Gabe.

okay lay it on me

Not that I'm waffling, but... I'm waffling. Not on my theory, but the idea of laying it out now. I'll PM you with the basics, and see if you think it ought to be left for the end of series discussion. I think that I can make my point without true spoilers (the PM will include them though), but I want to see people's honest reactions to the series without my having colored their perceptions. In other words, it's not so that I can say "ha, ha, it all really means THIS" at the end, but because I want everyone to have their own take on the experience and not just mine. I'm certain that you feel the same way.

To all the other thread participants (and those following along at home Wink ): I'll share later even if HellKorn points out the extreme error of my ways. Not that I don't think that I could be wrong, but because I want everyone to be able to participate, even if it's just to laugh at my confused self. So, as usual, more on this later.

Back to the real meat:

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, I think the Spectacles serve another function as well, but that doesn't become clear until later.

I'm not really spoiling anything, but I am retroactively speculating with a comment made in episode 12: spoiler[Do you think it has to do with what Toyama tells Ichise down at the digging site: that they found piles of dead bodies there?]

As above, not really a spoiler, but:
spoiler[Yes, but I wouldn't have made the connection without seeing the series through to the end.]

Quote:
I don't think of his attitude as purely conservative (in the dictionary definition of the word, not the American one) in that he's rejecting of change.

I don't think his attitude is entirely conservative either, but I think that at this point in the series he takes balance almost to the point of stasis. Again, this is probably something better left for the end of series discussion (at least what I have to say about Onishi's role, that is).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I do like to see any type posts about this series, though! Please do not hesitate to contribute anything, as halfadeckshort already said.

Problem with that is it's not just that I can't think of anything to say that's all that great, it's that I can't think of anything to say AT ALL. Theres absolutely nothing there. I mean, even AG here, who apparently understands this series about as well as I do (granted both of us are still newbs to it) has the upper hand on me in that department. I don't know, I'm thinking it just might have something to do with kind of a series discussion burnout I seem to have been experiencing lately. I'm just not as enthusiastic about them as I used to be. But whatever the case though, like I said I'll try to contribute something if I ever do think of anything to say, but other than that I'm just gonna quietly lurk here and see if I can at least make some sense of this darn thing, as straightforward as much of it has indeed been.......
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I will watch the new batch of episodes tomorrow, so I will just resort to reply to some other things Smile

Quote:
Something more akin to another German philosopher, aye?

While I didn't think of that, yes. I am not really familiar with the teachings of Nietzsche, but I think the main difference would be that Nietzsche wants people to find their purpose themselves, while Yoshii forcefully gives them a purpose.

Quote:

Just some thoughts: If you maintain a status quo inside an environment where there is total chaos, couldn't that be considered change?
At least, the status quo gives room for "controlled" change, meaning reform.

Quote:
Feedback?

I finally found a song where the "sound" appears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JQ5MWQH_k

You can hear it best towards the end. This sound, only with more alternation is what I mean. It sounded really extremely disturbing in that one episode.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
@halfadeckshort: see mah PM to ya

@BrothersElric: Even so, are you enjoying Texhnolyze? If so, how much compared to lain?

Labbes wrote:
While I didn't think of that, yes. I am not really familiar with the teachings of Nietzsche, but I think the main difference would be that Nietzsche wants people to find their purpose themselves, while Yoshii forcefully gives them a purpose.

Well, Yoshii's methods are more evocative of Stirner than Nietzsche, though the former may have influenced the latter.

There's also another key aspect that supports Yoshii as a Nietzsche character: the master-slave morality. What would you think would cause Yoshii to be so obsessed with strength and embracing power, while being against any signs of sickness and weakness?

Oh, and I cannot neglect to mention the Elder of Gabe's belief in the eternal return. Pretty self-explanatory.

(Actually, I found it amusing how some of the Nietzsche themes and Buddhist thoughts intersect. It'll be even more apparent by the end of the series.)

Quote:
Just some thoughts: If you maintain a status quo inside an environment where there is total chaos, couldn't that be considered change?

Well, the first bit is a contradiction: if the status quo is maintained, that isn't changed.

On the other hand, I do agree that retaining stability allows for the potentiality of reform, in some cases. (Interestingly enough, Kohakura openly questions Onishi's stance of keeping up their current relationship with the Class. Important to keep that in mind.)
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Quote:

Well, the first bit is a contradiction: if the status quo is maintained, that isn't changed.

Of course you are right, it is a contradiction. I would even go as far as calling it a paradox.
I will try another example: The Renaissance artists made steps forward by "copying" (not in a bad sense) what people had done in the past - so essentially, they went forward by going backwards.
There are contradictions when you try to put such things into terms, I guess, so it's rather hard to explain.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
@BrothersElric: Even so, are you enjoying Texhnolyze? If so, how much compared to lain?

Well we've still got a ways to go before we're finished so I can't really say for sure right now, but as far as we have watched I'm definitey liking it a whole lot. So far it hasn't been nearly as depressing as I thought it was going to be, and I'm actually liking a lot of the darker themes (as downright disturbing as they've been.....). It's definitely a lot more straightforward than Lain, which that alone I think makes me like it more, but at the same time the parts that aren't so easy to follow stresses me out just as much as it did with Lain. Overal though, I think it just comes down to the fact that I actually understand what's going on here, wheras with Lain I didn't even have that going for me. I think at the very least it'll be an honorable mention favorite of mine, which Lain didn't even get that from me. But we'll see by the end what I think of it in regards to my favorites list. I'll probaby do what I did with Lain and save giving it a ratting for when I'm done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10