• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
When you quote someone, do it right please.

Quote:
You fail to understand that many download only leechers are good for the industry because they provide more hype/excitement/noise about a title, but completely useless from an economics standpoint since the main reason they are into anime is because they can get it for free. It is very difficult to make profit out of this group, difficult but not impossible.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
You fail to understand that many download only leechers are good for the industry because they provide more hype/excitement/noise about a title

Anime doesn't need hype right now, it needs buyers, and if they truly are leeches in the sense of never buy anything then they are not helping, period.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
This is very sad news to hear... I hope something will be solved in this state of mass downloading versus profits loss (and admitting that it is a cause). Because hey, those who aren't contributing to buying anything at ALL, sure aren't helping the problem.

To be honest, I kind of want to bring this up in MyAnimeList's forums where people like that FROWN upon seeing anime licensed... (This was after discovering how many of them thought fansubs were superior to anything licensed, thus have the attitude on refusing to buy ANYTHING >_>)

no kidding.and the constant fansubs on crunchyroll before it went legit didn't helped at all.Then there's more illegal streaming sites more than ever and sites like myspace videos aren't doing a thing about it. If this keeps up,preety soon,the same thing that happen to Geneon, WILL happen here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
parker: OK, let me present to you a hypothetical situation. Anime X is fansubbed and gets about 500,000 downloads. Around 200,000 of the downloads are by those broke kids. Now, once the series is licensed for R1, I seriously doubt that 200,000 will actually buy it, and just to add to that, 50,000 of the remaining downloaders don't plan to buy the series for any number of excuses. Out of 500,000 potential sales, that's 2 and a half out of 5 (I suck at math, so sue me) lost sales. See what I mean?

I have to leave, so this has to be quick. No, I don't follow your math. Smile But nonetheless, you are making assumptions that I don't agree with based on no actual statistics. There aren't 500K potential sales, because a percentage wouldn't pay for anything and wouldn't watch anime if there were no fansubs. The percentage that watch and would pay, won't all pay because they don't consider it worth owning. Another percentage will watch it and buy the DVDs because they watched it and want to own it, and some just to maintain their own ethical stance. The percentage that buy may or may not have been affected by fansubs. Those who only buy after they watch might not have bought without the opportunity of viewing first (myself). Those who don't buy after watching, because one viewing was enough, might not have bought either without the chance to view it first. Or maybe they would have. I don't know. All I know is that the availability of anime via whatever means has increased the size of the fanbase. The job now is to increase revenue from that fanbase.

LordRedhand wrote:
Confused here, you trust reviews for older series but not for new ones? ... Even then my anime collection would not grow anywhere near as fast as it has, I had to have trust in someones opinion to answer the question "What's a good anime to watch/purchase?"

You rely on those opinions. I do not. I said my "occasional" buying off reviews is an exception to my rule. Newer releases of R1 DVDs were available to me as fansubs, and now streams, before being licensed for DVD.

LordRedhand wrote:
Also kinda going back to what I previously said, "How can a business sell you something if you have already fulfilled your need for it?" That's what fansubs do, they fulfill the same need that legitimate companies are also trying to fulfill with the same thing. So take any series you feel will never be released in the R1 market, ask yourself why they haven't yet? One of the reasons can be licensing issues, there is the demand to have everything the same, so music, voice acting, animation so on. Another is that the licensing company feels they can't make money off it anymore, simply because a free version of it exists and they feel that the market for it has "dried up" or has been fulfilled by fansubs.

Yes, for those who never buy, or watch and decide it isn't worth owning, their "need" is fulfilled. Not true for those who watch and then buy to own, who would not have bought without viewing first. Again, just like American TV. The only thing missing in the business model of U.S. and other foreign markets is "free" broadcast of anime (i.e., included in already existing expenses). Add all anime series being broadcast locally via commercial TV, subtract fansubs, and you have the Japanese market.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
My, THANK YOU for saying you'll "consider" it. I was trying to say that even in Japan there's a basic fee to be paid to broadcasting companies. Whatever, though, I don't want to waste my energy arguing with someone who seems to have such a low opinion of me. Razz

Don't feel so special. All of my posts are condescending regardless of who I am replying to. It's my shtick.
Hey there, Unit 03.5-ish. I though you might use some help to breakthrough samuelp's delusional fantasy, so here I go.

samuelp, every postyou've made about people who watch fansubs , had this one simple fact that you tend to ignored, and that is they are stealing intellectual properties owned by a dying industry that aren't free, but are paid to air only on Japanese TV networks with advertising revenues from Japanese companies. So unless you can come up with a good defense for that accusation, everything you've said are just whines and complains with condescending undertones that's making you sound like an elitist. That's your shtick, as I would simply refer to them as you throwing temper tantrums.
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
I think many of you are misinterpreting the article here, let alone forgetting other factors. Either that or I am greatly mistaken myself.

Everyone here seems to think that fansubbing and manga scanlations are the primary causes of this issue. Unfortunately, everyone is forgetting what state the world itself is in at the moment. The world is in a GLOBAL RECESSION and on the verge of a global depression.

Also for those of you blaming MAL, I do not see a reason either since that would also apply to AniDB and the rest. ANN isn't perfect you know and neither is any other anime site out there. Every site has a bias as well as other problems.
You are indeed greatly mistaken with you blatantly use of the word recession as some kind of excuse for fansubbers to steal intellectual properties.

BTW, since fansubbers make fansubs by fans for fans, we as anime fans should be supporting the anime industry, not stealing from them. That's not a bias opinion, that's sound reasoning.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

parker: OK, let me present to you a hypothetical situation. Anime X is fansubbed and gets about 500,000 downloads. Around 200,000 of the downloads are by those broke kids. Now, once the series is licensed for R1, I seriously doubt that 200,000 will actually buy it, and just to add to that, 50,000 of the remaining downloaders don't plan to buy the series for any number of excuses. Out of 500,000 potential sales, that's 2 and a half out of 5 (I suck at math, so sue me) lost sales. See what I mean?

This is kind of the thing I was thinking. Coming from someone who has downloaded KyoAni series subbed, I KNOW for a fact on the VERY FIRST DAY, there are literally thousands of seeders and several hundred leechers. Now, this is just the first day (well actually in the first 20 minutes, since it downloads FAST with that many people). Some websites will in fact, show, HOW many of the episode has been downloaded over time. And sometimes.... wow it's alot >_> But I wonder how many of those will be the series eventually? There sure are alot of people who enjoy the show!

Heh, sometimes it's not always the 'poor teens' that aren't able to BUY anime, but there could always be other priorities like buy a $100 jacket instead of spend it on a couple boxsets. Of course I won't get too far into it, since I know not everyone is well off. All I know is considering myself and my nerdly ways, when I was in high school myself, all my birthday money, extra pocket change etc. became money for anime/manga >_> It... just depends on your priorities^^ Oh, and once again for many a $20 spindle of blank CDs can often hold alot too >_>

One more note to make (as I try to knock on a few points): WHY the hate for FUNI??? This is something I do NOT understand! WAY back when Dragonball/Z was the ONLY thing they did, they were badmouthed for the dub edits to almost 4Kids fame. However, I personally believe they became a respected company when they started to acquire new and interesting series, as well as make everything uncut, and billingual. Still, it seems so many fans seem to have some grudge against them. As one of the posts on the first page, there's an example right there >_> Still, I do NOT understand this hate. Not to say a large portion of people won't buy from them because of that, but still! *curious* (Of course, as awesome as it is from them rescuing old titles, I believe it has something to do with C&Ds >_>)

Last edited by Sheleigha on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
samuelp, every post you've made about people who watch fansubs , had this one simple fact that you tend to ignored, and that is they are stealing intellectual properties owned by a dying industry that aren't free, but are paid to air only on Japanese TV networks with advertising revenues from Japanese companies. So unless you can come up with a good defense for that accusation, everything you've said are just whines and complains

Who cares. This is not the issue. Guilt or obligation will not force someone to pay for something he doesn't want to. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
BTW, since fansubbers make fansubs by fans for fans, we as anime fans should be supporting the anime industry, not stealing from them. That's not a bias opinion, that's sound reasoning.

I am a fansubber, I watch fansubs, I pay for maintaining an anime community and I support the industry (mainly the R1 industry, while I live in a region I cannot legally play their products). Why does one exclude the other?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but it seems that the people who work as fansubbers are even more fervent in the defense of what they do, and try to minimize the effects of their practice to make it look like they aren't the bad guys. Fact is, people who pirate, sub, and redistribute these shows are impacting the industry negatively.

Again, I realize that part of it is the economic downturn, but to try to place the blame almost entirely on that is just as bad as the people who apparently place all the blame on the fansubbers. Basically, you're trying to justify your crimes by pointing the finger at others.
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
What I'm advocating for, is to watch the big picture and not FOCUS on one part of the equation only. Fansubs/illegal downloading is only a (small) part of the problem imo.

Damn, have to go to work. I'll try to explain my PoV more in the morning...Anime cry
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
My, THANK YOU for saying you'll "consider" it. I was trying to say that even in Japan there's a basic fee to be paid to broadcasting companies. Whatever, though, I don't want to waste my energy arguing with someone who seems to have such a low opinion of me. Razz

Don't feel so special. All of my posts are condescending regardless of who I am replying to. It's my shtick.
Hey there, Unit 03.5-ish. I though you might use some help to breakthrough samuelp's delusional fantasy, so here I go.

samuelp, every postyou've made about people who watch fansubs , had this one simple fact that you tend to ignored, and that is they are stealing intellectual properties owned by a dying industry that aren't free, but are paid to air only on Japanese TV networks with advertising revenues from Japanese companies. So unless you can come up with a good defense for that accusation, everything you've said are just whines and complains with condescending undertones that's making you sound like an elitist. That's your shtick, as I would simply refer to them as you throwing temper tantrums.
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
I think many of you are misinterpreting the article here, let alone forgetting other factors. Either that or I am greatly mistaken myself.

Everyone here seems to think that fansubbing and manga scanlations are the primary causes of this issue. Unfortunately, everyone is forgetting what state the world itself is in at the moment. The world is in a GLOBAL RECESSION and on the verge of a global depression.

Also for those of you blaming MAL, I do not see a reason either since that would also apply to AniDB and the rest. ANN isn't perfect you know and neither is any other anime site out there. Every site has a bias as well as other problems.
You are indeed greatly mistaken with you blatantly use of the word recession as some kind of excuse for fansubbers to steal intellectual properties.

The irony is that samuelup didn't mention fansubs once in either of the links you posted. Rather than throw any kind of tantrum, he corrected a common misunderstanding that all to often is used to defend the deficiencies of the r1 industry.

And as I said before, you'd have to be blind to not be able to see the difference between the effects that scanslation and fansubing have. Book stores allow people to read the manga and people overwhelmingly prefer it in print form over reading it on a computer screen.

Last edited by babbo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Fact is, people who pirate, sub, and redistribute these shows are impacting the industry negatively.

In the end, it's like drugs^^ There is a drug problem and many people buy and use drugs. But, it's the people at the top who ultimately are responsible for the on going issue. One supplier for X amount of people. I know many BIG subbing companies were brought down, but it seems SO easy now a days for people to do a project. Sometimes I wonder just HOW many people learn Japanese for the practice of subbing 0_o Alot of people seem to know Japanese very well out there!

However, it seems that many streamed series ARE having actions being taken. The new series Slayers Evolution-R is hard to find, but can be found on streaming sites, which are now taking it DOWN. However, they say "once something is put on the net, it's there forever" which is absolutely true, since someone else will put it back up for people to see. And on and on we go!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

You rely on those opinions. I do not. I said my "occasional" buying off reviews is an exception to my rule. Newer releases of R1 DVDs were available to me as fansubs, and now streams, before being licensed for DVD.

So what horrible series did a new series review that you bought that made it so you can't trust them anymore? That's why I'm confused when you say you can trust reviews for older series that you might not have seen, but you can't put that same trust for the newer ones.

pparker wrote:

Yes, for those who never buy, or watch and decide it isn't worth owning, their "need" is fulfilled. Not true for those who watch and then buy to own, who would not have bought without viewing first. Again, just like American TV. The only thing missing in the business model of U.S. and other foreign markets is "free" broadcast of anime (i.e., included in already existing expenses). Add all anime series being broadcast locally via commercial TV, subtract fansubs, and you have the Japanese market.

It's beyond those who never buy or simply don't like it, how many of these comments of "I'll buy it when it's released" don't happen. It's because they have already have their need fulfilled. The thing is with watching some thing on TV or legally streamed I show advertisers and the company that works on it that anime and in particular that show is worth having/showing, watching a fansub does not have the same weight, as we can't say that everyone watching it supports it (They don't buy, don't watch it when its on television, so on) AS to the watch it before I buy it fact, simply put not all anime series will sell in the NA market, because our markets likes and the Japanese markets likes are different. So success in Japan does not instantly equate to success here, so it boils down to what will make money/what sells here to be a determining factor to what will be shown on TV or what the R1 distributors will focus on. I understand the concept of watch before I buy, however there are series that people will buy regardless of whether they've seen it before or not (Like the latest season of 24 but missed the first season, rent or buy. Don't have the station that has the Dresden Files and you really liked the novels? rent or buy.)

Dante80 wrote:

I am a fansubber, I watch fansubs, I pay for maintaining an anime community and I support the industry (mainly the R1 industry, while I live in a region I cannot legally play their products). Why does one exclude the other?

Good for you, you buy what you steal, which helps but the problem is can you say that for everyone that watches your fansub that you made? AS once you send it out, it will be copied and spread out. So it's not showing it to your friends or even getting anime out to the people. We now have access to a wide variety of anime within the NA market, with plenty of people willing to advocate for it and show it to their friends and family with their DVD purchases or legal streaming sites. So there are ways to get people interested in anime beyond fansubs.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Who cares. This is not the issue. Guilt or obligation will not force someone to pay for something he doesn't want to. Rolling Eyes

Because temper tantrums like those won't held in a court of law, and only ignorant, immature, and shallow individuals have the mentality to even trust in those delusions. This is the truth from yours truly, who used to be an ex-VHS fansubber 13 years ago, and respected the legal R1 anime licensing industry to stop fansubbing completely. Unlike you, who are abusing fansubs by using the internet to conduct intellectual property theft, all for your own selfish instant self-gratification.
babbo wrote:
The irony is that samuelup didn't mention fansubs once in either of the links you posted. Rather than throw any kind of tantrum he corrected a common misunderstanding that all to often is used to defend the deficiencies of the r1 industry.

And as I said before, you'd have to be blind to not be able to see the difference between the effects that scanslation and fansubing have. Book stores allow people to read the manga and people overwhelmingly prefer it in print form over reading it on a computer screen.
Well I can tell a fansubber just by pure experience alone. And those who watch fansubs are part of the fansubs community because fansubs are made "by fans for fans." Just like anime fans are part of the anime community together with the anime industry; due to their generous contributions on legally owning legitimate anime medias, not related merchandises. And just because you get to sample intellectual properties without you buying them, doesn't make you a fan that's supporting the industry, who made those intellectual properties that you're only sampling from.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
The irony is that samuelup didn't mention fansubs once in either of the links you posted. Rather than throw any kind of tantrum he corrected a common misunderstanding that all to often is used to defend the deficiencies of the r1 industry.

"Deficiencies"...wow, I love how people, again, are criticizing the legitimate US anime industry because they don't give in to every single whiny and unreasonable demand made by "fans".

Oh, and bookstores don't "let" people read manga, but rather gawky mouth-breathing teenagers read complete volumes and then leave the store without paying for a damn thing. It's just as bad as reading a scanlation or downloading a fansub.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
For all of those people who keep posting that we should "focus on the bigger picture" or that "fansubs are a small part of the problem" I have several questions.

Why can't fans do something about a part of the problem since we can't solve the whole shebang at once? What is wrong with trying to isolate a single element of the overall problem and deal with it? All problems are an amalgamation of multiple factors that combined form one big problem right? So why exactly can't we break the anime industry's one big problem down into the individual problems that make up the whole, determine what we can and can't do about those individual problems, then attack the one that we have the most potential to affect? Can anyone here offer a problem that the anime industry either in R1 or Japan has that we, as fans, have any ability to affect other than fansubs?

Can you improve the working conditions of animators? Can you increase the revenue from sponsors? Can you lower the production costs?

What, exactly, can fans do about the industry's problems except help them to raise revenue through sales? Whether it is DVDs, legal digital downloads/streams or merchandising, is there anything else anime fans can do to affect the state of the industry other than buying things?

Even if you believe fansubs are just the tiniest of problems with the industry, are there any other problems you can do anything about? I suppose theoretically we could all pool money and create a fan sponsor for anime production but that would require a damn lot of money. Reasonably speaking, I think fans can do the most by rejecting fansubs and turning to legal anime streaming and digital distribution to replace them and by buying more DVDs, digital downloads, merchandise and so on.

As fans, we can also stop brow-beating each other over every little disagreement. If a fellow fan says "wow, I love Insert Anime You Think Is Awful Here" don't just attack the guy, promote your favorite anime saying "that one isn't my kind of show but Insert Anime You Love Here is my idea of awesome! Check it out! Here's the legal streaming website, a cheap place to order it or whatever!"

If fansubbers are supposed to be these wonderful anime advocates, someone forgot to tell a lot of them because I've read some amazing insults and complaints from them and seen posts that amount to "why you buy when it is free, you stupid retard" more times than I can count. Not all fansub watchers are like that and not all fansub makers are like that but the very least we can do is reject the ones who are like that and promote legal methods that actually provide some monetary benefit to the Japanese.

Attacking R1 companies is just plain silly in my opinion. What, you've got a problem with paying significantly less for anime on DVD than the Japanese? Especially certain companies like Funimation who release ever more economical sets. (And please, don't pull out old Geneon box set numbers or Bandai Visual prices, those were never the standard for R1 and you know it.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12