• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This tournament is now complete. See here for the Post-Mortem.

Although Huey Lewis might have sung that “It’s Hip to be Square,” that generally isn’t true in anime. Some characters - whether heroes or villains - just have something going for them that others don't, some combination of intrinsic quality and demonstrated action which causes other characters (and viewers) to respect, admire, and want to emulate and hang out with that character. In whatever they do, they have style and/or class that are a step well beyond the norm. They could be suave ladies' men who can manipulate the heartstrings of the girls and women around them like a maestro playing a harp, bad-ass action figures who combine puissant combat prowess with indomitable attitude, dashing heroes/heroines who win the hearts of the opposite sex with their daring deeds, or the laid-back character who always has her act together and isn't fazed by anything. These are the Coolest Characters in anime.

NOTE: Since this tournament is being run on an English-language site based in North America, official English spellings, title translations, and naming conventions will be observed in any case where it matters.

Evaluating Criteria
Although each voter may ultimately decide for him/herself what exactly "coolest" means, voters are strongly encouraged to keep the following criteria in mind:
1. Cool characters should have a distinctive sense of style and/or class.
2. Cool characters should be respected, admired, and/or adored by other characters.
3. A character classified as a Bad-Ass should be a combination of impressively powerful/skilled, tough, brave, and full of attitude.
4. A character classified as a General Cool should have some other aspect typically associated with being cool (e.g. popular and effective with members of the opposite sex, not easily fazed or agitated, gallant, etc.).
5. Only animated content can be considered for evaluation purposes; deeds or characteristics only present in a manga, novel, game, or live action form of the title cannot be considered and should not even be brought up.

Tournament Rules/Standards:
1. This is a single elimination tournament using a standard advancement bracket.
2. Advancement is determined by receiving a plurality of votes in a given match-up. In the event of a tie, all tying participants who have the highest score advance.
3. The field is divided into four lettered Groups, each representing one of the four major branches of the bracket. Group A is focused on Bad-Asses, while Group C is focused on General Cool. The other two groups are mixed.
4. Each voting phase will last exactly one week, beginning and ending at midnight Tuesday EST (which is GMT-4 right now, I think?). No votes posted after the cut-off time will be accepted, even if an official end to the round hasn’t been announced.
5. Anyone who is a registered forum member in good standing (i.e. you aren’t currently banned) is allowed to vote, regardless of whether or not you’ve participated in any previous round or group. However, you must vote for all match-ups in a particular week or none of your votes will be counted.
6. For Rounds 1 and 2, voters are required to justify in detail at least one pick for each group. (More than this is encouraged but not required.) Beginning with Round 3, all votes must be justified.
7. Changing your vote during the course of a week is allowed, but such changes must meet three requirements to be counted: they must be justified, a change that's clearly marked as a change must be done on the original voting post, and a notice about the change must be put in a new post.
8. Key is the final arbiter of the tournament. Dorcas_Aurelia is the final arbiter of the accompanying minigame.

References
Since voters are not expected to know everyone going in, Guide pages which briefly describe each character and provide a picture of said character are being provided; these are linked on the name of the character in each match-up. Beginning in Round 3 these Guide pages will also have links to video clips featuring the characters. (No, we don't do such clips in the first two rounds because the sheer volume would make them too much of a hassle.) Those who have played the tournaments in the past may also note that the match-ups don’t have Encyclopedia links for the titles anymore. Since these are on the Guide pages, I decided that putting them here, too, would be redundant.

The bracket showing all match-ups in the tournament can be download using this link.

ccdx's official tournament progression bracket can be seen at this link. He is also the Video Clip Master when Round 3 comes around.

Round Links
Round 1
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 2
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 3
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 4
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 5 (Group Finals)
Groups A&B
Groups C&D

Round 6
Semifinals

Round 7
Finals

Last edited by Key on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:06 am; edited 21 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A: The Bad-Asses is now closed.

See the final results here.

So I double-checked and submitted my minigame bracket right before posting this, and man, there were some tough choices. I had to battle in several places between people I wanted to win (and/or thought actually deserved to win) and people that I expect to win. From the sounds of things, many of you had similar experiences.

This right here is the first chance to see how things turned out. When we have all Bad-Asses going head to head, who will be the baddest ass of them all? The road to that destination begins now!

Oh, and I'll still take a better write-up for Saber if someone's willing to do one and send it to me. The one we have sucks and I don't know the character well enough to rewrite it myself.

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.
Naomi Armitage, Armitage III franchise

Group A-3
Izumi Curtis, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.
Nanashi, Sword of the Stranger

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro , Michiko to Hatchin
vs.
Johannes Krauzer II, Detroit Metal City

Group A-6
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Hideo Kuze, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Deunan Knute, Appleseed franchise

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Nanoha Takemachi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Group A-10
Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
vs.
Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld, Code Geass

Group A-11
Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara
vs.
Brandon/Beyond the Grave, Gungrave

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.
Shiki Ryougi, Kara no Kyokai

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi

Group A-5
vs.

Krauzer

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Deunan Knute

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Claire

Group A-11
vs.

Brandon

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko

Is Blackjack even a badarse? He seems cool, but he lacks the energy and mental aura of "don't mess with me, I'm crazy/fearsome/strong/ruthless/your worst nightmare/Alpha Male (or Alpha Female)" that I expect of a badarse. Haruko on the other hand has energy to spare, she can be extremely dangerous when she wants to be, and she's so batshit insane you'd be mad to mess with her.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi

This video shows why Kenpachi is a complete badarse.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Kazuma

Try and torture this guy and he just gets more pissed off.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen

Both are swordsmen of the highest calibre, but while Shichika is most of the time completely clueless and rather blank, Mugen is akin to a demon with a brash mouth and an axe to grind. I'd know who I wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Key, you keep misspelling Mireille. It's "e" before "i". One of the many reasons why the English dub is so diabolical is the excruciating mispronunciation of her name.

Link. It's interesting that the Japanese dub - Mireyu - is close to the original Provencal pronunciation. Funny that an assassin shares a name with a potato.

Last edited by Errinundra on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
I just notice something, in the writeup of Claire Stanfield there was this part aboutspoiler[ Not even old age can keep the bastard down: at 90, he hijacks a pirate ship in order to travel around the world and collect things for his love.] I had watch the anime many times and I don't remember this part ever been mention; was this in the novel?

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.
Naomi Armitage
When I was watching the show I never thought of Shimba as cool, I thought most of the other characters were cooler then him. I have never watch Armitage III but reading the guide makes me think she should at least advance to the next round.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir
Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.
Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
vs.
Johannes Krauzer II

Group A-6
vs.
Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl
Teresa

Group A-10
vs.
Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.
Date Masamune

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL
Haruko Haruhara

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night
Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.
Shiki

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed
Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Mugen
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Naomi Armitage

Group A-3
vs.
Mireille Bouquet, Noir

Mireille Bouquet. It's not a difficult choice for me, even though, sadly, I nominated both characters. Izumi Curtis is drill-sergeant bad-ass only. Mireille will gun you down for a pay cheque.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Nanashi

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko Malandro. I can't take the appearance of the other bloke seriously.

Group A-6
vs.

Hideo Kuze. I found him quite a menacing character in the series, even if he had the welfare of thousands, if not millions, on his mind. Mustang's fun side undermines his bad-assery.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Deunan Knute

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Triela. Just the image of Triela turning over her victims with the bayonet of her trench gun is enough to earn her my vote.

Group A-10
vs.

Kallen Kousuki, whom I don't know much about. Gets my vote because Claire Stanfield was one of Baccano!'s few negatives.

Group A-11
vs.

Brandon. Based on the descriptions.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki. Sabre is cool, and I love her to pieces, but she's not particularly bad-ass. spoiler[King Arthur in a petticoat! I mean, how bad-ass is that?]

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki Ryougi

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
I just notice something, in the writeup of Claire Stanfield there was this part aboutspoiler[ Not even old age can keep the bastard down: at 90, he hijacks a pirate ship in order to travel around the world and collect things for his love.] I had watch the anime many times and I don't remember this part ever been mention; was this in the novel?

Yeah, I believe that's from the novels, not the anime. The anime only covers the arcs set in the 1930s (besides the one brief moment in the last episode centered around Isaac and Miria)--the novels go into later/earlier decades. It'd probably be good to remove that last sentence from the guide since it's not in the anime.

But anyway, here's my votes. Admittedly I'm not familiar with all of the characters in the contest, so I'll be paying attention to arguments and might change my votes later on depending on arguments.

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis
I would've voted for Mirelle in several other match-ups, but against Izumi the choice is pretty clear. Izumi is one of the most memorable characters of the first series--nearly everyone she interacts with has a high level of respect for her (and often a certain amount of fear), she's an extremely talented alchemist, and she does it all while missing a large chunk of her internal organs. The woman shouldn't even be alive at this point, much less kicking as much ass as she does. It'd be a shame if she doesn't go far in this contest, and she deserves to go on at least to the next round.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Nanashi

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko
I'll be honest, I haven't seen either series so I'm going off of the descriptions, and this as much a vote against Krauzer as for Michiko. I sorta question how much a character who's only cool as a fictional alter-ego can stand up to characters who are badasses 24/7, and his discription makes him sound less cool and more...kinda creepy. Michiko seems cool enough by her description, too. (That being said, I might change my vote if arguments change my mind.)

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang
Nothing against Kuze, but...Roy can create flames with a snap of his fingers. That's pretty badass. Plus he's got charisma to spare.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Deunan
This is similar to the Michiko/Krauser match-up to me, Simon (while undoubtably cool in later episodes from what I've heard) has to grow into his badassery. Deunan is pretty badass as soon as we meet her from what I've seen of Appleseed, so she gets my vote.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield
In a series full of insane badasses, Clarie is probably the craziest AND the most fearsome fighter. As soon as he appears on the scene he starts tearing through those he judges as deserving of it through his own series of morals, and provides some of the most shocking and stylish fights in the series. He's convinced that the world is just a play put on for his own amusement--but he's such a force of nature that it's tough to argue against him.

I won't defend his world view, as he's obviously crazy, but the fact is that he's one of the strongest fighters of the series. He's definitely deserving of moving forward (and it's a shame he got matched up against another character I find worthy, but...from what I've seen of Code Geass, I don't think Kallen's nearly as cool as Claire).

Group A-11
vs.

Beyond the Grave
I don't doubt that Date Masamune deserves to be in the contest (and I actually expect him to win), but I have to at least put in a word for Brandon. Before his death, Brandon is the tall, dark and quiet sort, climbing his way up from poverty and a life on the streets to being a top hitman for an influential mob. And as Beyond the Grave, he's the same cool-headed, stoic guy he always was...only now he's an undead gunslinger making up for his failures in the past. A very different sense of 'cool' from Masamune's over-the-top bravado, but still every bit as stylish and badass.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack
I love Haruko and FLCL, and I haven't seen the Black Jack anime yet. That being said, I just started the manga and he's DEFINITELY the most badass doctor on the face of the planet. This guy is what House wishes he could be, pulling off impossible medical miracles without batting an eyelash. My brother told me about a later scene in the manga (which I looked up and confirmed that it appears to have made it in the anime, too) which sealed the deal--while staying in a tent in the Australian outback, the doctor realizes he's becoming ill due to a parasite. He then proceeds to perform surgery on himself as his tent is surrounded by dingoes. It doesn't matter how much Haruko hits things with that guitar of hers or performs "CPR" in epic slow-mo--she can't top do-it-yourself surgery surrounded by wild animals in my book.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki Ryougi

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Naomi Armitage

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Mirielle Bouquet - A pretty difficult decision for me. Then I realized that all the badassary to be had in the series was a result of Mirielle. And I think she does some more badass things then Izumi overall (even though Izumi lives in a crazier universe)

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.

Date Masamune - Brandon is a badass, don't get me wrong. But have you seen this show? This guy has handlebars on his horse for Pete's sake! I mean, just look at his picture. And he's based of a historical badass. You can't get much better than that.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon

Group A-2

Group A-3
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO

Group A-5

Group A-6
Now, see, I really thought I'd vote against this very popular guy, but I really did not like Kuze.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
For the sake of the second part... but I really don't expect him to go too far.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
Yeah, right, as if there was a choice Laughing

Group A-9
Triela, Gunslinger Girl
A tough one. I'll give the girl a chance. Teresa was pretty badass, but as she was killed early, and then the mangaka gave all enemies epic-level power-ups, her impact is kind of diminished.

Group A-10

Group A-11

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack

Group A-13
Saber, Fate/stay night

Group A-14
I hope she won't lose just because more people watch One Piece...

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Ouch. Now you're just being cruel. This match should be happening somewhere in the quarter-finals. Mugen has the style and actions, Shichika, too, in his own way... eh, with a very, very slight personal preference tipping the scales, I'll go for Shichika.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Regarding the writeup on Simon, you really should have gone with willag's version rather than my rather lackluster one, Key. And no offense, but his second picture kind of sucks and doesn't really do justice to his later feats of badassery.

Anyway, my votes:

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
[b]Michiko Malandro
, Michiko to Hatchin
vs.

Michiko Malandro wins by default. Krauzer shouldn't even be in this tournament. He's not a badass, or even generally cool. He's a joke!

Group A-6
vs.

Hideo Kuze

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts. One of anime's finest examples of unrelenting badassery.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Triela

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.

Date Masamune

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Roronoa Zoro

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika - Russian Mafia. Period.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis - Quite possibly one of the best females in an action series. She's strong, determined, and downright scary. Her back story is touching, also serves as a sensitive point for her, and she's overcome those hard times. Lots of respect for this woman (and fear).

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi Onizuka - Cool and has definitely earned plenty of respect.

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko Malandro

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang - No, I'm not a raving FMA fangirl but this guy has the ability to rally troops to his cause, the desire to be the best, and the abilities to get him there. Through it all, he never loses his determination. He can put the smack down on anyone and also gain their respect through his personality, not just his flames.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon - Seen a little of both series and Simon just takes the cake.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts - Sorry, Nanoha. You're not that amazingly awesome.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Triela

Group A-10
vs.

Kallen Kouzukie/Stadtfeld - All the way. She's hot, brilliant, deceptive, an amazing fighter, a capable leader and definitely should have spoiler[been the one with LuLu in the end] I don't think there are many mecha pilots who could go toe-to-toe with her.

Group A-11
vs.

Date Masamune

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko Haruhara - So glad to see her on here! A deceptive but respected character who can kick some serious tail when she has to.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Saber

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Roronoa Zoro - while I despise One Piece for it's longevity, there aren't many swordsmen who entertain me like Zoro does.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari[/quote]

Shichika Yasuri
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Vote for: Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Vote for: Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Vote for: Izumi Curtis

The only evidence I see of Mireille being a bad-ass was her reputation from before the show starts. In the actual show I mainly remember her being shot and having to be rescued by her teen counterpart, being haunted by a past she has can't deal with, screwing up assignments and in her face off against her arch-enemy- staring blankly like a deer in headlights. Not cool, not bad-ass.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Vote for: Nanashi

Group A-5
vs.

Vote for: Michiko Malandro
I guess I wasn't the only one handed a Sophie's Choice of two of my own noms in the first round, so I can't complain much. Truthfully though, I put in Krauzer just to mix things up a bit, not as someone I'd expect to go far. In his defense though, although he seems incredibly lame I do think Soichi shares a bit of Krauzer's coolness- the toughness is in him- he just doesn't want to let it out yet. However, Michiko oozes coolness, she can kick ass, attract the guys and throw them away and keeps that solid facade up so no one really knows what she's thinking. If the show was more widely watched she would be a much bigger contender, she cool and a bad-ass in the Faye Valentine mold and I think she even outclasses Faye in the end.

Group A-6
vs.

Vote for: Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Vote for: Deunan Knute

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Vote for: Guts
I don't like Guts or Berserk but it's impossible to argue against his eligibility

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Vote for: Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Vote for: Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.

Vote for: Brandon/Beyond the Grave

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Vote for: Haruko Haruhara

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Vote for: Kenpachi Zaraki
Goodness, Saber needs a rewrite

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Vote for: Roronoa Zoro
Shiki certainly seems like a good candidate and I'm not married to my vote- I mainly vote for Zoro becasue of the force of One-Piece fandom, convince me Shiki deserves it more and I may change my vote.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Vote for: Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Vote for: Mugen
By pure force of skill, ability to destroy and the caliber of opponents Shichika should win the bad-ass portion, but he fails to beat Mugen in coolness, in general temperment and lasting impression he's more like a puppy. And Mugen is still a bad-ass, simply one more in proportion to the world he inhabits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Oww. Missed the minigame. I blame the person who wrote "cunt" on my courtesy car's front hood. lol

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro, Michiko to Hatchin
vs.

Johannes Krauzer II

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.

Brandon/Beyond the Grave

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko Haruhara

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Tough one. Kenpachi is really badass, but besides that, he's just an empty and badly developed fella. Saber, that is.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Beyond tough. Both are skilled badasses, but Shiki Ryougi wins by coolness.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Two favorites. Both are badasses, but in terms of being tough for a friend or family member, Hei wins by a slight margin (which is kind of biased on my side). Hei became an assassin and entered the Heaven's Gate dispute despite not having any power at the time (while everyone else did) simply for his sister's sake. He killed, killed, and killed, all to be able to accept his sister, or what had become of her. Later on he's just as much of a badass, moving at his own pace (like Kazuma), and doing as he pleases. Risking for his friends (like Kazuma), and just being a badass in many scenes. He wins because he's cooler and more popular with the ladies.

Still, it's a shame to have both matched up so early.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari[/quote]

Mugen. Shichika was a bland character with a huge lack of will until episode 12. Mugen, on the other hand, well just read what dtm42 said.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
A-1: Tsume
A-2: Kamei Shimba
A-3: Izumi Curtis
A-4: Eikichi Onizuka
He just goes so far out of his way for his students, granted this appears to just make him "nice" maybe, but the way he goes about his daily life is just noteworthy of ultimate badass.

A-5: Michiko Malandro
This is more of a vote against Krauser. While I would call Nyu and Lucy or The Count and Gankutsuou different characters since they can't control the presence of the other at will, Negishi can control Krauser, he just has a tendency to get high on the attention or something, but Negishi is always in control 100% of the time if you ask me. And Negishi is kinda a loser.

A-6: Roy Mustang
A-7: Simon
Not only was his mentor badass, but Simon overtook his mentor by the end of the series. Evolving into badass when he wasn't at the start of the series also gives a great way of comparing the character to his former self to see how much cooler he became.

A-8: Guts
A-9: Teresa
A-10: Claire Stanfield
In a show populated with badass, I think this guy is the most badass. Just putting it out there. And he's not even spoiler[an immortal, so when he goes all out, his life is on the line here]

A-11: Brandon
A-12: Black Jack
A-13: Zenpaki Zaraki
A-14: Roronoa Zoro
A-15: Kazuma
A-16: Mugen

Last edited by zawa113 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7

Group A-3
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO

Onizuka gets the nod because he's willing to go to extreme lengths, and make extreme sacrifices to do what he thinks is right. He's also a tough S.O.B, like this guy, who is the embodiement of badassery in my mind.

Group A-5

Group A-6

Group A-7

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore

This one was a little hard. I found it dificult to decide if the fact that we see Triela singing, doing paperwork, having tea parties and collecting teddy bears in addition to fragging terrorists made her more badass or less. I decided less.

Group A-10

Group A-11

Group A-12
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo

Mugen because of his confidence. The scene where he is alone in the mountains and the local police think he is the man who "killed every person in his village," whom they are chasing, is an example of it. They surround him and advance with weapons drawn. As they close in, he tries to explain to them that they have the wrong man, his sword remains sheathed until they strike at him, at which point he dodges, draws, and starts cutting them all down.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 53