• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oshi no Ko (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Oshi no Ko (TV)
Season 02: Oshi no Ko (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 13 volumes, written by Aka Akasaka, illustrated by Mengo Yokoyari)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo

Genres: comedy, drama, mystery, psychological

Themes: crime, cyberbullying, detective, entertainment industry, idols, mental health, music, performing arts, reincarnation, social media, tragedy

Plot Summary: Goro Amemiya works as an OB-GYN in a small rural town and is a huge fan of upcoming idol Ai Hoshino. After an unexpected meeting, Goro ends up dying suddenly only to be reborn as one of Ai's children; a boy named Aquamarine Hoshino (or Aqua for short). He and his twin sister Ruby then grows up as one of show-biz's biggest secrets.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 12, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Season 02: July 2024
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 11 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 11 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

-Season 01

Episode 01: Mother and Children
Episode 02: Third Option
Episode 03: Manga-Based TV Drama
Episode 04: Actors

Episode 05: Reality Dating Show
Episode 06: Egosurfing
Episode 07: Buzz
Episode 08: First Time

Episode 09: B-Komachi
Episode 10: Pressure
Episode 11: Idol
----------------------------------

- Season 02 (Pending)

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:39 pm; edited 18 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:09 am Reply with quote
It is very rare to get a FLAWLESS adaptation of a manga but this is absolutely it.

The show shines as bright as the stars the story revolves around (and the ones in Ai's eyes) I don't really have much else to say that hasn't been said. It's perfection.

EVEN MAL USERS LIKE IT. The praise is non-stop. Shocked
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01: Mother and Children

Summary: Goro is devastated when his favorite idol announces that she's taking a break, and he's even more shocked by a new patient who walks into his clinic.

Comments: That was a nice, long first episode full of exposition. I never liked idol shows, or the idea of idols, in general. I feel the whole concept is exploitative and puts an incredible amount of physical and psychological toll on the girl to keep maintaining this fake, peppy persona for manufactured and manipulative happiness. And because of that delusion, they don't stay true to themselves, which makes me even more disappointed that people would live a lie for themselves.

This franchise is supposed to be a "dark side" look at the entertainment industry. I don't think it'll get Game of Thrones dark, but I'm curious to see just how deep and dark this rabbit hole goes.

I accidentally read some plot details when trying to do more research on this series, so I think it'll definitely have some (maybe, maybe not) surprising revelations about what people in the industry have to endure. But I also love me a good revenge story. And the reincarnation angle is a nice twist. Here's hoping the show turns out as compelling as I think it might.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Every character's eyes are so beautiful...you could just stare into them forever lol
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
High concept: Isekai and idols, let's combine them.
"Why?"
Because.

"Ok.... How?"
Doesn't matter.

"Fine... what sort of world will these idols be in?"
The Future! We're going to go 16 to 16 as a generation so it'll be at least 16 years into the future!

"And we'll be able to tell this by...?"
Ignoring it!

"Right. Who's going to be reborn into ano- the same world but the future?"
There'll be two! Two people who died years apart, one who died when out star idol was 16 and the other a few years later when our idol will now be 16!

"Right... You're really fixing on this 16 thing... which means our star idol got pregnant when she was 15"
16!

"16... and we're going to confront this fact through?"
Ignoring it!

... I was going to do more but once I read into the details of how this work can to be and why it's such as it is, I got depressed because of how accurate all this nonsense was.
Yeesh.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
What in the world are you even talking about, Animegomaniac? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all. It doesn't sound like you even bothered to watch the episode before writing your post.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
....would someone mind telling him that reincarnation in story-telling existed before the big isekai craze and that it really has nothing to do with the genre? Rolling Eyes

The element of reincarnation comes from Buddhism, sir.

Beltane70 wrote:
What in the world are you even talking about, Animegomaniac? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all. It doesn't sound like you even bothered to watch the episode before writing your post.

This.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Managed to get around to watching the first two episodes, really notably the first episode, where I thought chances are that an idol adjacent anime was unlikely to be really good, before being met with the 1 hour 20 minute rune time. A lot happened in that first episode, and I can kind of see the justification of making it a single episode, as it looked difficult to set a baseline for where the series would going forward. It all ending on a heartbreaking end of Ai being murdered, and Aqua realizing that the likely suspect feeding info to the stalker that killed her and his past self was his unknown father likely in the industry. Some guy that got a 15/16 year old entertainment hopeful pregnant.

But it certainly sold me, I am really into it. With a lot of the second episode having Aqua trying to protect his sister Ruby from following their mother's footsteps. While he too wants to be an actor, but seems to be lying to himself after not having some initial success.

Also, did the old president of the company abandon his wife after she had to officially take over as parent of two orphaned kids, and she had to take over said business t stay afloat? Their adoptive mother really did a turn around after pretty much having a mental breakdown after husband forced babysitting babies onto her.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSS

Mama Miyako comforting Ruby was so heart-warming. I'm glad she was able to have a good mother after all...it's so wholesome. Wah Anime cry 10/10 Character development.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Third Option

Summary: Miyako reopens Strawberry Production's idol unit with Ruby as its first member. Aqua works as director Gotanda's apprentice, but has given up on trying to be an actor. They are admitted into prestigious Youtou High School, where Kana is shocked to see Aqua in the general education department instead of performing arts.

Comments: I'm liking how the messages of disillusionment for the industry is more subtle, rather than in-your-face. I also like how Aqua is looking out for Ruby, but would rather he let her just crash and burn, then console her afterwards.

Then again, she's a reincarnated 12 year-old. So even with a mind that's probably in its 20s, I feel like she's still clinging to some adolescent naivety, since she's technically never reached adulthood in physical form. There are lots of things that can affect your maturity and outlook on life that teens just don't get to experience.

In contrast, I feel Aqua's 30-40 year-old mind is gonna' make a huge difference in the way the story flows. He was an adult and a doctor when he died, so that's gotta' account for some intelligence. But I also think him reincarnated with all that knowledge, combined with see how things work within the industry has made him more jaded.

It should be interesting to see how the character chemistry pans about between him and Ruby, since he's more mature, yet jaded, but she's still immature and, maybe, foolishly ambitious.

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna say two statements that are completely true for me:

1) This is a fantastic show. Funny, emotional, great characters, great story, visually eye-catching and with thematic heft.

2) I will enjoy watching it... and never feel completely comfortable doing so.

Man, that first episode. As a long time anime fan, I am no stranger to neck-whipping tonal shifts. You had the comedy of the somewhat skeevy doctor and his nurse's reaction to it, you had the intensely weird notion of a reincarnated 12-year-old girl in an infant girl's body horndogging it over the notion she gets to feast on her 16-year-old idol mother's boobies, you had the murder of the doctor, you had a detailed and lengthy dissection of the underbelly of Japan's entertainment industry, specifically the idol and acting sectors, and you had the heart-breaking murder of a second important character, a young mother who was just starting to learn about genuine love and who now is never going to be able to see her kids grow up.

Wow. That's a lot.

And then of course there is the pedigree of the manga this show is adapted from. You know, nobody significant, merely Asa Akasaka, the creator of Kaguya-sama: Love is War, one of my favourite anime comedy franchises of all time and Mengo Yokoyari, creator of the totally obscure and hardly ever discussed Scum's Wish.

*sardonic face*

Actually, based on those two names, I have no problem figuring out where the comedy of Oshi no Ko comes from and where the "yeeeehhhhh" moments are coming from.

So yeah, I'll be a devoted watcher of this show but it ain't gonna be a warm, fuzzy experience all the time, that's for sure.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Kana is a nice girl; I remember when I read the manga, I liked her best out of the other female characters. I love how Ruby calls her "Loli-senpai". Anime hyper

Just stating the obvious again but Aqua is so cool Cool
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I really like that Kana became a much nicer person than she was as a child actor. I was worried that she might have had a grudge against Aqua for upstaging her when they were kids, but was relieved when she actually treated him with respect and friendliness.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I wish this show had a bit more comedy. Four episodes in and for me the central reason for the existence of this show is obvious: to ruminate on the unpleasant side of the Japanese entertainment industry. Everything else just feels so secondary, even the hunt for the person who orchestrated Ai's death. All that stuff is just an excuse to have a framework for the "here's what Japan's entertainment industry is REALLY like." Don't get me wrong, I find that part interesting but for me it has a distancing effect on the actual story. I guess the other reason I feel that way is that Aqua is such a cold fish. Hard to warm up to him if, unlike Chiibi, you aren't crushing on him. Wink

I did chuckle over the bit about the mangaka being disappointed about how the "TV" (it's actually a web series) version of her work is being adapted. I'm sure that's a pretty common experience for the original IP creators of a lot of anime and live action adaptations. I'd be surprised if it's based on the personal experience of Oshi no Ko's mangakas because I think both Kaguya-sama and Scum's Wish turned out well, but then again I have no idea if their manga creators felt the same way.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched or read Kaguya yet but Scum's Wish adaptation of the manga is basically perfect.

But yeah, I too find the plot of 'disappointed manga-ka' really relatable...as a shoujo fan who has been disappointed way too many times with GARBAGE adaptations of her favorite works Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6