• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mashle: Magic and Muscles (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Mashle: Magic and Muscles (TV)
Season 02: Mashle: Magic and Muscles (TV 2)

Source: Manga (completed @ 17 volumes, by Hajime Kōmoto)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, tournament

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, factions, parody, school, sorcery, superpowers, wizards

Plot Summary: This is a world of magic where magic is used for everything. But deep in the forest exists a young man who spends his time training and bulking up. He can't use magic, but he enjoys a peaceful life with his father. His muscular body will have to protect him from the magic users who are out to get him.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: January 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

-Season 01

Episode 01: Mash Burnedead and the Body of the Gods
Episode 02: Mash Burnedead and the Mysterious Maze
Episode 03: Mash Burnedead and the Baleful Bully
Episode 04: Mash Burnedead and the Challenging Magic User

Episode 05: Mash Burnedead and the Unpopular Classmate
Episode 06: Mash Burnedead and the Magic of Iron
Episode 07: Mash Burnedead and the Puppet Master
Episode 08: Mash Burnedead and the Wolves of Magic

Episode 09: Mash Burnedead and the Accelerated Battle
Episode 10: Mash Burnedead and the Divine Visionary
Episode 11: Mash Burnedead and the Survival of the Fittest
Episode 12: Mash Burndead and the Magic Mirror

-Season 02

(Pending)

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm; edited 21 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this one, but the first episode turned out to be a lot of fun by the time it was all over but the bruising. Not sure what the deal with the creampuffs is, but whatever. It's been a while since I've watched a socially clueless dude with an expressionless face go tearing through people who weren't expecting it. I think I'm going to enjoy One Punch Mash.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
One Punch Man plus Harry Potter really seems to work for me, so I am all in. The first episode was a ton of fun to see.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 am Reply with quote
It makes me wonder about his parentage. Half dragon or something? Demi-god? Demon King? Kryptonian?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:09 am Reply with quote
Or maybe just the good old Saitama training schedule. Aka: 100 Pushups, 100 Sit Ups, 100 Squats and a 10km Run everyday
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget a banana for breakfast.

Episode 01: Mash Burnedead and the Body of the Gods

Summary: In a world where magic is everything, Mash Burnedead, a powerful boy with no magic, enrolls in the prestigious magic school, Easton Magic Academy. He must use his incredible strength to prove himself and survive against the other students.

Comments: The comparison of Harry Potter meets One-Punch Man are, indeed, accurate. I like how emotionless Mash is and how he really only gets worked up through eating sweets or saving somebody.

The whole "muscle-bound non-magic user in a world of magicians" is a neat flip of the outcast trope. Normally, the outcast is either too weak/strong within the physics of their own world. But Mash feels appropriately overpowering in respect to all the magic that seems to exist around him.

It's not quite as quirky Mob Psycho or stylish as O-PM, but I am a little eager to see Mash infiltrate the academy and put some arrogant magicians in their place. And the ending credits are pretty fun. I do enjoy me a perky animated dance sequence.

Screen Caps:

ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:24 pm Reply with quote
1:

I do not care if this show is One Punch Man.
I do not care if this show is intentionally dumb.

He lifts. I lift IRL. We are the same.

I am watching this with my other gym bros.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
2:

Naming your own muscles? Why didn't I think of that!

This show is more brainless than One Punch Man. I actually don't mind; it knows what it wants to be.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:03 am Reply with quote
I love it so far. I also wonder how many wands he will break over time.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Mash Burnedead and the Mysterious Maze

Summary: Mash passes Easton Academy's entrance exam and encounters Lemon, a shy girl who sabotages him. Headmaster Wahlberg disciplines Claude and gives Mash a test of resolve. Mash meets Finn and learns to become a Divine Visionary by collecting the most reward coins.

Comments: I love Mash's bluntness. He seems like the strong and silent type, but not so silent because he also doesn't take guff from anybody and will shy away to show his displeasure when he feels the need to. It's a fun mix of absurd, yet heroic.

I'm also liking the very apparent references to the Wizarding World. Claude feels like a younger, but not quite as cynical Snape, and has, almost, the same level of pompous attitude. Headmaster Wahlberg is obviously their version of Dumbledore. And even the episode titles are Potter-esque: "Mash Burnedead and the [blah blah blah]."

What's strange is how uniquely knock-off-ish this show feels. It's very much a parody, but doesn't feel derivative and is, somehow, holding its own. I think it's the humor, and probably the fact that it's so making fun of Harry Potter. Can't wait to see how much more ridiculous it can get.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
The headmaster surprised me the most, at first he seems chill and reasonable enough, but he is probably the one you absolutely can't piss off.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
The headmaster surprised me the most, at first he seems chill and reasonable enough, but he is probably the one you absolutely can't piss off.

Agreed. Hard to tell where he's going to land.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:03 pm Reply with quote
3:

I love how this show is making loose references to Harry Potter.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
Mash can be a bit too decisive, with the whole burying someone alive and all that. We now have tournament time and it might be a bit hard for Mash to compete while not being able to fly on his broom in a game that is not at all similar to quidditch.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Mash Burnedead and the Baleful Bully

Summary: Mash draws attention from Lloyd, a bully. But after he protects Finn by slamming Lloyd's head into the floor, he's expelled by vice-principal Farman. Wahlberg protects Mash and offers him support in gaining the title of Divine Visionary. Mash joins the Duelo team, but is unsure what to do since he can't use magic to fly.

Comments: Ha, ha, ha! The head-smashing scene was so fulfilling. Bullies are the worst, and I love to see shitty people get their comeuppance. I guess Lloyd is this franchise's Draco Malfoy. What a douche. And there was zero hesitation from Mash. What a hero!

I honestly wonder how Mash will get by at the school without being able to use magic. He's definitely got super strength and stamina, which should account for something. But I'm sure there's gonna' be a point in the story where he needs some kind of magic to get out of a jam.

I'm hoping the game of not-Quidditch will reveal some kind of x-factor to make up for his apparent non-magic usage. Then again, the suspense of him getting by with just brute strength seems like appealing plot device, too.

We need more detailed cream puff shots. And it'd be hilarious if they parodied Beard Papa's, somewhere down the line.

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5